Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Five Boro Bike Tour 2020

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Five Boro Bike Tour 2020

Old 02-06-20, 10:24 PM
  #1  
streetstomper
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
streetstomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Open Road
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Five Boro Bike Tour 2020

The 5BBT is bringing back something from the past, but at a cost. Used to be in the first 25 years or so, before they forced you to go to their bike expo to pick up your rider ID materials, they would mail them to you. Now they're willing to do so again, but you have to pay $30 for the favor. That's per rider, even if two or more people are at the same address. All on top of an outrageous $112 registration fee. The Tour de L'Ile Montreal is asking $33 for registration, and that's Canadian dollars, I think, which would be about $24 US. The stench of greed is overwhelming. I guess they need to please their expo vendors, who wouldn't be willing to rent expensive booths if they didn't have a captive audience. It would be just too common-sensical yet difficult to have a table near the start line where out-of-town riders could make arrangements in advance to pick up their kits.
streetstomper is offline  
Old 02-07-20, 07:43 AM
  #2  
john m flores
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 125

Bikes: Cinelli Hobootleg, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo, Serotta Tri Colorado, Raleigh Technium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
I haven't ridden the event since the 1990s so I wasn't aware of having to go to the bike expo, which kind of sucks. They're basically charging everyone that lives and works outside of Manhattan an extra $30. I was thinking of doing it this year despite the high cost (cycling in NYC during the event is a singular and unique experience) but I'm now on the fence.

Thanks for sharing.
john m flores is offline  
Old 02-09-20, 09:42 AM
  #3  
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The One Boro Bike Tour is back! You get to tour Manhattan and see Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island on highways. Save yourself the money and visit this site for maps of all New York City bike lanes. You'll see much more of the city than you'll ever do on the 5BBC.


NYC Bike Maps - New York City's Bicycle Paths, Bike Lanes & Greenways | NYC Bike Maps
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Likes For Dahon.Steve:
Old 02-10-20, 06:06 PM
  #4  
Jarrettsin
Senior Member
 
Jarrettsin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 451

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the Expo.
But won't sign up because the weather has sucked the last 4 out of 5 years, they need to push it back!
Jarrettsin is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 03:33 PM
  #5  
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 6,533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 96 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin View Post
I like the Expo.
But won't sign up because the weather has sucked the last 4 out of 5 years, they need to push it back!
i did it once in the rain and it was no fun at all. We bailed in Downtown Brooklyn and took the subway home since it was easy from there.
zacster is offline  
Old 02-11-20, 03:57 PM
  #6  
Jarrettsin
Senior Member
 
Jarrettsin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 451

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
i did it once in the rain and it was no fun at all. We bailed in Downtown Brooklyn and took the subway home since it was easy from there.
I did it once in the rain, poured the whole time was cold too. My good rain gear and boots held up but not my gloves my hands were so bad by the end it was painful.

So many people came unprepared all the rest stops ran out of thermal blankets and I saw ambulance at every rest stop.

I've done the ride 4 times that was the last

Last edited by Jarrettsin; 02-11-20 at 05:32 PM.
Jarrettsin is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 09:08 PM
  #7  
KenCT 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
This year will be my 20th 5 Boro. Bailed out last year at the Brooklyn Bridge.

There were two other times we only did half the route because of heavy rain and cold. I don't really mind the rain but the cold can be a bit much for me.


Wet ride during 5 Boro tour 2019.


Seems like most years are cool and some rain. I remember a few tours where it was sunny and hot. I ride with a group that varies between 6 and 15 each year, it is our kick off to summer. Going to the expo is a big down side mostly due to the extra cost involved. The few of us that go to the expo pick up the packets for the others. Most of us are retired and it is only a 90 minute train ride to Grand Central and it is an excuse for us to visit the city for the day.
KenCT is offline  
Likes For KenCT:
Old 02-14-20, 10:34 AM
  #8  
streetstomper
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
streetstomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Open Road
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores View Post
I haven't ridden the event since the 1990s so I wasn't aware of having to go to the bike expo, which kind of sucks. They're basically charging everyone that lives and works outside of Manhattan an extra $30..
Not really. I guess most people can come in on Saturday, but there are probably more than a few people who don't want to or can't make it a full weekend in NYC. Then if you don't have friends or family in the city who can do a proxy pickup for you, you'll have to pony up $30 more. What a difference from the once-friendly tour that mailed the packages to everybody inside and outside the city.

Originally Posted by Jarrettsin View Post
I like the Expo.
Not really a matter of whether you like it or not. Some people just can't make it or don't have the time.
streetstomper is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 10:43 AM
  #9  
streetstomper
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
streetstomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Open Road
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, and fair warning to anyone who may need to sell their packet if they can't make it for whatever reason. Don't trust anybody, not even here on Bikeforums. I "sold" a packet for a friend here to a Bikeforums member. The buyer swore he would pay the $100 he agreed to. He never did and came up with all sorts of excuses. First he couldn't follow directions. Emailed him a color scan of the ID so he could do a proxy pickup and told him to display it on his smartphone, just as BikeNY said to do. The idiot printed it up and said it was too big. He still got the rider packet anyway. Then he said he obviously didn't look anything like the ID, so he decided to skip the start line and start a mile or so north. Based on his incredibly stupid assumption that they would have time to check 34,000 IDs at the start line, he said his ride wasn't as enjoyable because he was "forced" to shorten it. Hello! Your rider ID kit is all the ID they want to see. He said he would pay half of the money. Again, he never did and I never heard from him again. DON'T TRUST ANYONE. Get cash before you turn over your packet.

Last edited by streetstomper; 02-14-20 at 10:48 AM.
streetstomper is offline  
Old 02-15-20, 06:05 AM
  #10  
Jarrettsin
Senior Member
 
Jarrettsin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 451

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Wet 5 boro
Jarrettsin is offline  
Likes For Jarrettsin:
Old 02-15-20, 08:36 AM
  #11  
ChiroVette
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Well, first off, I live in Brooklyn and have zero interest in going to the Bike Expo for any reason, certainly not to pick up something that can easily be put into the mail with free shipping. I think the expos are usually downtown, and parking is a nightmare. Public transportation to there is a huge pain in the ass. Not that any of this matters. LMAO I am not paying these people $112.00 plus their moronic mailing fee to participate in a ride with no refunds for inclement weather, potentially dangerous, or at least inconvenient, rider-bottlenecks, and for what? To ride alongside ten thousand weekend warriors, encased in wall-to-wall, mostly inexperienced riders, who half the time don't look where they're going?

I paid the first few years I did it, way back in the late '80's and early nineties. I think it was a lot more reasonable back then, but I'm not sure. Then I started just showing up and riding, hoping not to be thrown off the ride. In all the years I showed up without any sort of ride pack, nobody even looked at me funny. I have heard security in the ride is a lot tighter in the past 10 years, so I haven't tried crashing the ride (lol unfortunate and unintentional pun) in a while.

I may do it this year, weather permitting. I mean, what's the worst thing they can do, throw me off the...um streets? Is that even legal? This is still the United States, and I'm not sure there is a legal precedent to tell me that I cannot ride on public streets just because they rented them. If stopped, I can simply say that I am not "participating in the ride" and just make up some excuse about going somewhere else and using the street I am busted on "coincidentally." I assume the worst they could do is toss an unpaid rider off the...what? Off the public street? I suppose if they are renting it, cops may toss me off. But if I do crash the ride, I would only leave the route if a police officer demanded it. If some ride marshal or administrator yelled at me to leave, I would ignore them, and tell them to call the cops to throw me off. Then I can just ride somewhere else to get however many miles I want in.

Unless there are fines or possible lol criminal charges if I am caught "trespassing?" Which I seriously doubt. I assume I could only get in any real trouble if I am causing trouble or committing a crime, I am not sure what they could actually do to me if I decide to crash the ride.

Then again, I literally have this same conversation with myself every year, and have not crashed the ride in over ten years, since I heard that they started cracking down on people like me who stopped paying the entrance fees sometime in the '90s. I will probably just grouse about it being stupid and a violation of my civil liberties to be banished from 40 miles of PUBLIC streets for the day, and just ride somewhere else that day.
ChiroVette is offline  
Old 02-15-20, 08:42 AM
  #12  
joesch
Senior Member
 
joesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hotel CA / DFW
Posts: 533

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 90s Colnago Master, 96 Serotta Colorado TI, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 08 Lemond Filmore, 12 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Well, first off, I live in Brooklyn and have zero interest in going to the Bike Expo for any reason, certainly not to pick up something that can easily be put into the mail with free shipping. I think the expos are usually downtown, and parking is a nightmare. Public transportation to there is a huge pain in the ass. Not that any of this matters. LMAO I am not paying these people $112.00 plus their moronic mailing fee to participate in a ride with no refunds for inclement weather, potentially dangerous, or at least inconvenient, rider-bottlenecks, and for what? To ride alongside ten thousand weekend warriors, encased in wall-to-wall, mostly inexperienced riders, who half the time don't look where they're going?

I paid the first few years I did it, way back in the late '80's and early nineties. I think it was a lot more reasonable back then, but I'm not sure. Then I started just showing up and riding, hoping not to be thrown off the ride. In all the years I showed up without any sort of ride pack, nobody even looked at me funny. I have heard security in the ride is a lot tighter in the past 10 years, so I haven't tried crashing the ride (lol unfortunate and unintentional pun) in a while.

I may do it this year, weather permitting. I mean, what's the worst thing they can do, throw me off the...um streets? Is that even legal? This is still the United States, and I'm not sure there is a legal precedent to tell me that I cannot ride on public streets just because they rented them. If stopped, I can simply say that I am not "participating in the ride" and just make up some excuse about going somewhere else and using the street I am busted on "coincidentally." I assume the worst they could do is toss an unpaid rider off the...what? Off the public street? I suppose if they are renting it, cops may toss me off. But if I do crash the ride, I would only leave the route if a police officer demanded it. If some ride marshal or administrator yelled at me to leave, I would ignore them, and tell them to call the cops to throw me off. Then I can just ride somewhere else to get however many miles I want in.

Unless there are fines or possible lol criminal charges if I am caught "trespassing?" Which I seriously doubt. I assume I could only get in any real trouble if I am causing trouble or committing a crime, I am not sure what they could actually do to me if I decide to crash the ride.

Then again, I literally have this same conversation with myself every year, and have not crashed the ride in over ten years, since I heard that they started cracking down on people like me who stopped paying the entrance fees sometime in the '90s. I will probably just grouse about it being stupid and a violation of my civil liberties to be banished from 40 miles of PUBLIC streets for the day, and just ride somewhere else that day.
Given you live in Brooklyn, why not just ride the route anyother day, when the weather maybe better and you dont have to be part of the crowded tour.
Some good questions about people who just want to do their normal daily rides on bikes. They should not be prevented (fined, or told to get off route) because of the ride?
joesch is offline  
Old 02-15-20, 09:31 AM
  #13  
ChiroVette
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch View Post
Given you live in Brooklyn, why not just ride the route anyother day, when the weather maybe better and you dont have to be part of the crowded tour.
Some good questions about people who just want to do their normal daily rides on bikes. They should not be prevented (fined, or told to get off route) because of the ride?
I ride all over NY City all the time, and am not married to reproducing the 5 Borough Bike Tour route. I do, however, love the idea of riding on roads like the BQE and over the Verrazano, Not enough to be worth $113.00 plus the choice of either blowng a day and picking up my kit or paying their price-gouging mailing fee.

Again, I am not sure if there is legal precedent to:

A. Legally penalize me for riding without paying.
B. Demand I leave the route or a cop will be called
C. Chase me down if I ignore ride officials (but obeying a cop if he stops me, of course!)
D. Or for a cop to even care enough to get involved.

Again, all this is assuming I am not causing trouble, being a jerk-rider, verbally abusive, or breaking a cycling/traffic law. The caveat, of course, being that a lot of this is assumption on my part. There may be some obscure trespassing laws that a cyclist would be breaking by riding on a route that is being "rented" by some organization and closed off for that purpose.
ChiroVette is offline  
Old 02-15-20, 09:47 AM
  #14  
dmark
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 101

Bikes: 84 Pinnarello Treviso nuevo record, 70 Peugot PX-10, 92 Trek 930, 81 DX4000, 88 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Astoria Park by Hellgate Bridge!

Originally Posted by Jarrettsin View Post

Wet 5 boro
Astoria Park by Hellgate Bridge!
dmark is offline  
Old 02-15-20, 07:05 PM
  #15  
SBinNYC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
I ride all over NY City all the time, and am not married to reproducing the 5 Borough Bike Tour route. I do, however, love the idea of riding on roads like the BQE and over the Verrazano, Not enough to be worth $113.00 plus the choice of either blowng a day and picking up my kit or paying their price-gouging mailing fee.

Again, I am not sure if there is legal precedent to:

A. Legally penalize me for riding without paying.
B. Demand I leave the route or a cop will be called
C. Chase me down if I ignore ride officials (but obeying a cop if he stops me, of course!)
D. Or for a cop to even care enough to get involved.

Again, all this is assuming I am not causing trouble, being a jerk-rider, verbally abusive, or breaking a cycling/traffic law. The caveat, of course, being that a lot of this is assumption on my part. There may be some obscure trespassing laws that a cyclist would be breaking by riding on a route that is being "rented" by some organization and closed off for that purpose.
The added security is mostly due to the aftermath of 9/11. One cannot go into most office buildings without producing a photo id. The security people from NYC and the other agencies instituted similar requirements. That photo id requirement necessitates a prior, in person, check in. Some of the package delivery services provide a similar service but it's expensive. It's not a simple leave the package at the door delivery.

Unfortunately, the security people take "cheaters" far more seriously than the ride organizers. The ride organizers will ask cheaters to leave the route. Some of the security people for non-public roadway areas have detained cheaters. Some agencies can be very aggressive.

Some cops take the security issue seriously. Two years ago, about 10,000 riders were treated to an unscheduled detour through Madison Square. A suspicious package was spotted along the route. The bike tour was detoured, until that package was inspected.
SBinNYC is offline  
Likes For SBinNYC:
Old 02-16-20, 07:02 AM
  #16  
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 6,533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 96 Times in 76 Posts
They can't stop you from riding in the streets but they can stop you from riding on any road not normally for cyclists, like the FDR or the BQE or the bridges. These are closed and paid for by the organizers. Other than preventing you from entering or escorting you off I don't know what legal recourse they may have.

Do you just walk into a movie theater without paying?

Stop being a jerk.
zacster is offline  
Likes For zacster:
Old 02-16-20, 03:03 PM
  #17  
ChiroVette
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
They can't stop you from riding in the streets but they can stop you from riding on any road not normally for cyclists, like the FDR or the BQE or the bridges. These are closed and paid for by the organizers. Other than preventing you from entering or escorting you off I don't know what legal recourse they may have.

Do you just walk into a movie theater without paying?

Stop being a jerk.
Hey genius, try reading the post you are responding to before calling someone names. You might come off a little more informed.

From my post above:

Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Then again, I literally have this same conversation with myself every year, and have not crashed the ride in over ten years, since I heard that they started cracking down on people like me who stopped paying the entrance fees sometime in the '90s. I will probably just grouse about it being stupid and a violation of my civil liberties to be banished from 40 miles of PUBLIC streets for the day, and just ride somewhere else that day.

Last edited by ChiroVette; 02-16-20 at 04:07 PM.
ChiroVette is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.