Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

How much is this about getting away from cars for you?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 08:57 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

It came up in a conversation this weekend and I'm curious how other riders feel about it.
Old 04-30-18, 09:01 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I certainly wouldn't call it a drawback. Though we have no gravel here, we have a whole lot of non-maintained utility service roads, and there's simply nobody out there. I'm not just escaping traffic, I'm escaping people/civilization altogether.

...but, 4am-start road rides often have the same effect. So I guess I'm trying to avoid cars/people a lot.
Old 04-30-18, 09:05 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Little to none. I'd be in the woods if cars never existed. It is nice to get away from suburbia in general.

Some weekends there are a surprising number of motorists on gravel roads up in the mountains. About half of the motorists flag me down and ask how far it is to the lake or the quickest way out of the forest or if I know whether a certain road is open or closed.

-Tim-
Old 04-30-18, 09:09 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Most of it.

For me it's waaay more fun than riding busy paved roads especially after getting hit by a car last year. While it might sound a bit cheesy I also like being closer to nature.

We don't have maintained gravel roads here either that get used by passenger vehicles, mostly just dirt roads that hunters and farmers use with tractors and 4x4s. But I barely meet anyone.

I get to ride quiet, calm roads while looking at nice scenery. Win-win.
Old 04-30-18, 09:17 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
I live in a rural area so there are few cars only the people that live in the area are friendly and give me plenty of space but I move to the far side of the road. Sometimes gravel trucks but they are safe and cautious. Generally people here have no desire to harass a person on a bike.
Old 04-30-18, 09:39 AM
xtatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good deal of it for me it's avoiding cars. There's been just too many dead cyclists on roads in the recent past. I'm tired of having to look over my shoulder all the time and get buzzed by a texting while driving ahole. Not having as many intersections, traffic lights, stop signs also is nice, you can maintain you pace better. I also enjoy being in nature a lot.
Old 04-30-18, 10:34 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I'm not a big gravel cyclist here, but there are a couple of routes that I go on where a gravel road goes parallel to a higher traffic main road, and the preferable choice is the lower traffic gravel road. Nonetheless, I'd be perfectly happy if the roads were actually paved.

I am tentatively planning a longer gravel trail tour ride sometime, which will need a bit of preparation for rough gravel riding, but also several hundred miles of paved riding.
Old 04-30-18, 10:51 AM
Seattle Forrest

I should have made this a poll.

For me, the lesser traffic is like the icing on the cake. I mostly ride unpaved roads because they go somewhere nice, and give me a lot more roads to ride on. (We don't have all that many in the Cascades.) And solitude is nice in general, especially when you mix it with nature; that's even true of hiking. But I'd be lying if I said getting away from traffic wasn't a part of it.
Old 04-30-18, 11:39 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh
Most of it.

For me it's waaay more fun than riding busy paved roads especially after getting hit by a car last year. While it might sound a bit cheesy I also like being closer to nature.

We don't have maintained gravel roads here either that get used by passenger vehicles, mostly just dirt roads that hunters and farmers use with tractors and 4x4s. But I barely meet anyone.

I get to ride quiet, calm roads while looking at nice scenery. Win-win.
Well said.

I'll note especially that here in farm country...driver's slow down and wave you on or by. They see you pulled over, and they will chat you up and invite you for water at their ranch a mile away....whereas a mile away on the paved highway driver's will run you off the road and blare horns.

It is a nice change of pace. A harder workout, but worth it for less stress and mortal peril.
Old 04-30-18, 12:58 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
0%

I find riding gravel and dirt intrinsically enjoyable due to the varied surface and additional technical skill required to ride well at high speeds. Same as mountain biking, lack of traffic is just a nice benefit but certainly not a draw, for me.

Also, the talent is not as deep as road racing (yet) and the additional skill and different kind of fitness, as well as knowledge of what gear works best for a given course,all combine to allow me to have more success in competition than I found in other forms of bicycle racing.

So it's fun and I get on the podium more.
Old 04-30-18, 02:43 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Most of the roads near my house are gravel. So that came first.

Then I found out gravel roads make for more interesting exploring around here.

Avoiding cars is a bonus, but wasnt a goal.
Old 04-30-18, 02:43 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Not really at all. I'll always be a roadie at heart but gravel where I live now is more enjoyable because of the routes, the people, and the culture.
Old 04-30-18, 04:57 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
If the paved roads around here offered the same low-traffic, low-speed experience, I would definitely be riding that. I’d only own a road bike, and would happily breathe the dust free air that doesn’t clog up the nooks and crannies of my bike. My favorite part of gravel is the scenery, but since i live in a low population area, there are plenty of paved roads that offer that as well.

I do like the people I’ve met and the events I’ve ridden riding gravel. That is the best part IMO.
Old 04-30-18, 05:48 PM
shakey start

Bikes: Parlee Chebacco for now

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way I figure it...there are probably much fewer text messages going down a gravel road, so probably much fewer distracted drivers.
Old 04-30-18, 06:26 PM
jarude

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting away from cars is why I got into gravel riding in the first place. I very much appreciate the sights and sounds of nature and getting away from it all, but not having to worry (as much) about the whole death-by-car thing is huge.
Old 04-30-18, 07:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It came up in a conversation this weekend and I'm curious how other riders feel about it.
Getting away from cars is a big part of the appeal for me, for sure.
Old 04-30-18, 07:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
A lot is about getting away from cars and build up/sprawl in general.

I am not overly concerned about getting away from cars and paved road riding for safety(the distracted driving reason). I ride a couple thousand miles of pavement each year and dont plan to change that as i feel perfectly safe still.

i like getting out away from dense population. Gravel roads are quiet, challenging, and i also enjoy the route planning.
getting away from cars, houses, and everything else is the goal.
Old 04-30-18, 07:40 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
Originally Posted by shakey start
The way I figure it...there are probably much fewer text messages going down a gravel road, so probably much fewer distracted drivers.
Exactly, where I ride the cell coverage is spotty to none so no one is distracted by texting or talking on cell phones. They just want to go home have a beer or ride their horses etc etc..
Old 05-01-18, 04:17 AM
valleysuper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought after doing some gravel this spring about all the wonderful benefits people have posted, and they are all true about gravel riding. For me I enjoy the increased technical aspect of riding the much varied terrain the most.

All that said, I got the road bike out this week, and despite a very close call w a big F350, I love the road. I’m getting smarter, and brighter (with all the lighting options) about road riding and just prefer the flat out nature of it. I’m fortunate to also have beautiful scenery on the pavement where I live, and have been riding a little later in the evening, avoiding the 4-6pm rush, or going way out of the way to stay off the big major road through our towns here.
But the happiness and serenity that I can achieve in my own head while riding on the road can’t be replicated, maybe because it’s not AS technical. I just head out, drop down and pedal away to a happy place. It’s truly my therapy.
Old 05-01-18, 06:13 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I've tended to think in terms of "seeking peaceful surroundings", but really those are synonymous with "no cars".

If riding for enjoyment, I seek peace and quiet and greenery. If riding to get somewhere, I'll throw myself into traffic.
Old 05-01-18, 07:16 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

If all you want to do is avoid cars then get some lights and try riding at night.

Otherwise very busy roads are often completely empty after 10:00 PM. Riding under the moon and stars on a warm summer night can be a sublime experience.

I've yet to do a true night gravel ride.
Old 05-01-18, 09:07 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
If all you want to do is avoid cars then get some lights and try riding at night.

Otherwise very busy roads are often completely empty after 10:00 PM. Riding under the moon and stars on a warm summer night can be a sublime experience.

I've yet to do a true night gravel ride.
So true. My parents have done Lunar Kanza a couple times and they loved it.
Old 05-01-18, 11:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everybody. I enjoyed reading them, and it's real interesting to see the variety of reasons why people do this.
Old 05-01-18, 12:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by shoota
So true. My parents have done Lunar Kanza a couple times and they loved it.
I never heard of that but looked it up. This sounds great!
Old 05-01-18, 12:08 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
gravel riding is like MTB riding. I do it to go see things I wouldn't normally see otherwise.

As for riding with Traffic, that is easy as pushing a grocery cart. Based on observations, that grocery cart pushing (riding with traffic) is above and beyond some peoples skill set. Speed makes a big difference when trying to flow with traffic while on a bicycle.

Other things Like riding in the middle of the lane and moving to the right to allow an over take, totally changes the attitude of the driver many times to a better, more accepting attitude. Safer for you, and also a chance to show respect and courtesy to drivers. We all live in the same world.

If you are riding gravel for the sole purpose of avoiding others on paved roads, you might be borderline or even into Sociopath territory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.