Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Any experience in riding without a fibula?

Old 08-23-19, 12:35 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts

It appears as though I'm going to have one of my fibula removed in the next couple of weeks. My doctor says that he can probably reattach the LCL and hamstrings to the tibia, so I shouldn't lose too much function. I couldn't get a clear answer from him, what he considered too much functional loss to be. The best I could get out of him was when I asked about walking unassisted eventually and I got a sort of hesitant yes. I wasn't sure if that was a low bar, that he didn't want to overpromise or what, so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had any experience with the removal of a fibula and was able to return to cycling and in what manner. Thanks.
Old 08-23-19, 12:52 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
To address one of your concerns.

Doctor will almost always go with the "lowest bar expectations" when telling you what you may or may not be capable of. Direct result of the let's sue generation. Your ability to perform any activity will (aside from the physical parts to do so) be mostly decided by your desire to make it happen and the work you put in for such.

My thoughts would be to ankle strengthening as well as a knee brace with the flexion and comfort to allow it. You may want to consider a shorter crank or other methods to either temporarily or permanently modify the pedal stroke/movement. If nothing else cycling with one leg as power is do-able. Pretty much my situation.

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-23-19, 03:00 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
" No, but if you hum a few bars, I can fake it".

(sorry, couldn't resist. I'll show myself out...... )
Old 08-23-19, 04:39 PM
SCLee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not quite removal...

@himespau. Not exactly the same situation, but I had my left leg forcibly amputated below the knee in a motorcycle accident. After trying to ride a motorcycle again with a prosthetic, I discovered that my balance was not sufficient for starting and stopping the motorcycle. Ditto for a bicycle. BUT, I am riding a trike. I have about 1/2 of my tibia and fibula and my prosthetic socket comes up to my knee. I am fully functional regarding walking and pedaling, but not with balance. Yes, the left leg is not as strong as the right leg but it is functional. I continue to work on strengthening my entire body.

I have no idea what function the fibula serves. The tibia is the main weight bearing bone of the calf. I'm sure the fibula probably helps with smaller muscle movements, but exactly what I can't say. I found the Physical The******s were the best source of information. They seem to know more about all the connections in regards to muscles, bones, and nerves. I'm SURE you will go through some extensive Physical Therapy and will have sufficient time to ask them. My best advice after the surgery is to WORK HARD at the physical therapy and CONTINUE the exercises when you are released.

Best of luck in your new phase of life. It is challenging, but certainly do-able.
Old 08-23-19, 05:50 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I'm expecting massive amounts of PT. He's telling me I won't be able to drive for at least 4-6 weeks due to lack of reflexes/muscle control as it's my right (driving) leg. I'm sure he didn't want to overpromise, but my wife has heard of football players cracking a fibula, getting some pins and going back to playing after a months or two so she's expecting full return to function, while I'm hearing attempts to move insertion of lcl and hamstrings to tibia and thinking of lots of PT and changes in stability/motility. A crack that can heal (and a crapton of opiods because you know your career is short and millions of dollars are on the line) is different than a loss of the top half of the bone (or at least so I expect). Maybe I'm just setting the bar low as well so that I can be pleasantly surprised. I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks (or the rest of my life).
Old 08-23-19, 06:05 PM
SCLee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If I can do it at 73, now 74, you can do it also. It ain't easy and it will take longer than you want / expect. But you can do it. IMO "ATTITUDE" is key. Remove "Can't" from your vocabulary and at least TRY to do more than that PT wants.

BTW, it is possible to drive with your left leg. Takes practice though. It as been 18 months since my accident and a year since my first prosthesis and the doctors have NOT told me I can drive. But I do.

Keep your chin up and go for it.
Likes For SCLee: