Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mexico Route

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mexico Route

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 07:14 PM
Gypsy1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mexico Route

The online chatter seems mute on crossing into Mexico via US these days. I know there is much writings / journals of previous Baja routes. What I'm wondering and very interested in, is the gulf of Mexico Route, via Brownsville or other near Texas boarder crossings south of Austin, West Texas Hill Country, San Antonio. I like paved roads, but if that means riding with Simi-Trucks, I'm happy with back country gravel roads... I was looking at visiting El Mezquital and attempting to cross the water gaps, however fully loaded I just might do and out and back then continue south. I'm looking for sun, beach camping, then make way into Yucatan via Puebla (visiting a immersion school), I don't mind criss-crossing. 6 months is the length of stay, I'd like to explore.
Old 02-16-20, 07:35 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I can't help you with a ridden route as the only one I have is for the future, mostly along or near the coast. However, I would suggest you cross the border at Sullivan City, TX, as it is the last hand-pulled ferry along the Mexico border, possibly in the USA. It is unique, costs only a couple of dollars (several years ago), and best is very quick and easy with no traffic or hordes of people awaiting you once you cross into Mexico giving you a little time to adjust without being assaulted by tons of people wanting your attention.

Hope you have an enjoyable trip!

Tailwinds John
Old 02-16-20, 01:07 PM
Gypsy1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! I'm looking into that... Appreciate your time