Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Left Handed Bikes

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Left Handed Bikes

Old 08-05-05, 12:20 PM
Joyce Wasser
Gretassister

Bikes: A brand new Trek cyclocross and a very old Schwinn road bike with a long interesting history. Ask me if you want to hear the whole story.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left Handed Bikes

I think someone should make left-handed bikes, with the chain rings and everything on the oppisite side. Because I am very left handed , I generally dismount and handle the bike to the right, often ending up with greasy legs.
Old 08-05-05, 12:49 PM
cranky

Bikes: Trek 520, Vintage Peugeot, KHS Tandem, Dahon Uno

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's gotta be tough living in a backwards world...

Though I dont know much about them, may I suggest a chainless bicycle ?
Old 08-05-05, 01:28 PM
phidauex
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fixed gear bicycles can be assembled either way, right hand drive or left hand drive. But since no one makes backwards freewheels, I don't think there is a way to do it on a 'regular' bike.

I recommend a chainguard, one of the most useful inventions that no one seems to use.

peace,
sam
Old 08-05-05, 01:59 PM
cranky

Bikes: Trek 520, Vintage Peugeot, KHS Tandem, Dahon Uno

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phidauex
Fixed gear bicycles can be assembled either way, right hand drive or left hand drive.
It may be a smaller issue, but wont you have a pedal threading problem? The left crank arm being reverse threaded. If you switch them, the threading for both crank arms will be opposite and there'll be a tendency for the pedals to come loose. Or is it still the same? Too much for my little brain.

Either way I'd hate to have a pedal come off on a fixed gear!
Old 08-05-05, 03:48 PM
MarkS

Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm lefty. I mount from the left. I hold the left bike handle with the left hand and the saddle seat with the right. I pick up my right leg and swing it over the top bar. I put my right hand on the right bar. I proceed to bike. Should be even easier if you have a woman's bike. Probably the young'uns have a sportier way of mounting than that. In any event, it doesn't seem to require the fine motor skills that left/right handedness tasks like writing would.

Then again, I'm nearly ambidextrous, so maybe there's something I'm missing.

According to Sheldon Brown's logic, lefties should have an an advantage since bikes are wired with the strongest brake on the left side. But I signal with either hand, figuring that motorists won't have a clue what an upraised arm means.
Old 08-05-05, 07:54 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Joyce Wasser
I think someone should make left-handed bikes, with the chain rings and everything on the oppisite side. Because I am very left handed , I generally dismount and handle the bike to the right, often ending up with greasy legs.
I'm right handed but I typically mount from the right. However it should be possible to develop the habit of mounting/dismounting on the left. In fact I would think it's an important skill to be able do either side. You might have to stop on a trail next to a mud puddle, or on a slope where it's not easy to dismount on one side, or next to a wall on your right where you want to lean the bike, and you should be prepared to go off the other side.
Robert
Old 08-06-05, 09:12 AM
phidauex
Spoked to Death

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've gotten to the point where I can mount comfortably from both sides. Its a good skill to have. I mount a little better from the left side, but both work. I can even mount and dismount from the back on the fixed gears, and have occasionally dismounted off the front (unintentionally ).

The pedal threading issue for 'left hand drive' fixies isn't a big deal. If you think about it, the threading on a regular bike is set up to loosen the pedals as you ride! This doesn't matter because the force of friction that the bearings exert on the pedal spindle is no where near the force of friction holding a well tightened pedal in place, but its one of the reasons pedal wrenches are so long, you need to get them pretty tight to begin with, in order to prevent them from popping off! But of course, that is easier than the opposite threading situation, where the pedals will tend to tighten themselves a bit. So if you do left hand drive, you won't have a problem with pedals coming off, but you may have the smaller, but annoying problem of having incredibly tight pedals. Just get a good coat of anti-seize or grease on the threads, and pack a big wrench.

peace,
sam
Old 08-06-05, 02:01 PM
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!

Bikes: Three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a lefty, I thought I picked cycling because it did not have a problem with left and right.
Old 08-06-05, 06:38 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just get a LHD BMX bike and quite whining.
Old 08-06-05, 11:59 PM
FireTeamCharlie
Can't touch this!

Bikes: Hoffman Disrupter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left handed people like us are the superior race. Even though I use my PC mouse right handed, and a few other things, everything else is left handed.
Old 08-07-05, 12:03 AM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FireTeamCharlie
Left handed people like us are the superior race.
I got nothin'. My wife is a southpaw.
Old 08-07-05, 12:11 AM
F1_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed gear bicycles can be assembled either way, right hand drive or left hand drive. But since no one makes backwards freewheels, I don't think there is a way to do it on a 'regular' bike.
Methinks there's no such thing as a left-side derailleur either.
Old 08-07-05, 02:11 AM
Jobyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The pedal threading issue for 'left hand drive' fixies isn't a big deal. If you think about it, the threading on a regular bike is set up to loosen the pedals as you ride!
No, it's not. Sheldon says:

"The right pedal has a normal thread, but the left pedal has a left (reverse) thread.
The reason for this is not obvious: The force from bearing friction would, in fact, tend to unscrew pedals threaded in this manner. The fact is, however, that it is not the bearing friction that makes pedals unscrew themselves, but a phenomenon called "precession".

You can demonstrate this to yourself by performing a simple experiment. Hold a pencil loosely in one fist, and move the end of it in a circle. You will see that the pencil, as it rubs against the inside of your fist, rotates in the opposite direction."
Old 08-07-05, 05:47 AM
andygates
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built my fixie left-handed (by mistake: was doing it nekkid and wanted to keep the transmission away from my knackers!). It ran fine but looked weird - as weird as a single-side fork or other freakbike stuff. Nothing unscrewed, but it was all done up tight and I'm a bit of a threadlock ***** these days. The one problem: I have Time ATAC pedals and I couldn't clip in 'cos they were facing backwards!
Old 08-07-05, 07:48 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Jobyl

"The right pedal has a normal thread, but the left pedal has a left (reverse) thread.
The reason for this is not obvious: The force from bearing friction would, in fact, tend to unscrew pedals threaded in this manner. The fact is, however, that it is not the bearing friction that makes pedals unscrew themselves, but a phenomenon called "precession".

You can demonstrate this to yourself by performing a simple experiment. Hold a pencil loosely in one fist, and move the end of it in a circle. You will see that the pencil, as it rubs against the inside of your fist, rotates in the opposite direction."
Another way to put it: As you drive your car or bike forward, the wheels push dirt backwards. If your wheel locks up while you're moving, it pushes dirt forwards. Similarily, as you drive your right pedal counterclockwise (relative to the clockwise-moving crank), the balls inside it drive the spindle clockwise, screwing it in tighter. If the ball bearing joint freezes up due to long neglect, then pedalling forward will unscrew your pedal.

Robert
Old 08-07-05, 10:53 AM
MarkS

Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FireTeamCharlie
Left handed people like us are the superior race. Even though I use my PC mouse right handed, and a few other things, everything else is left handed.
If you can do this, its actually a superior method -- you can surf with your right hand and take notes with your left. Same thing with using a keypad -- punch with your right, and jot it down with your left.
Old 08-07-05, 11:06 AM
lobserve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Careful of the chainring, it's not just dirty, it's sharp too. Just learn to mount and dismount from the left. I'm lefty and that is what I do. In fact I always try to stay on the left of the bike to avoid the dirty side.

I would think switching the shifting and braking to the opposite sides of the handlebar would be easy. No?
Old 08-09-05, 01:34 AM
meb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jobyl

The easy pedal remedy is to get a set of tandem captain (front) cranks as they have a timing ring on the left that goes back to the stokers timing ring. Many bmx crank-bottom bracket system are designed to run a spider on either side to accomodate left or right side freewheels.

Left handed threading on left hand pedals was a Wright Brothers invention. Before that, there was a tendency for the left pedal to crank itself off in time.

Right side freewheels/sprockets came about because with right hand threads on the freewheel and hub were standard and did not require the extra tooling cost for making left handed theading as would be needed for left side freewheel.

There are bmx hubs and single speed freewheels available with left hand threads for left side mounting.
Old 08-11-05, 05:24 AM
andygates
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"There are bmx hubs and single speed freewheels available with left hand threads for left side mounting."

Why? Just because BMXers are an ornery bunch?
Old 08-11-05, 02:31 PM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No, so they can grind on the right side.
Old 08-12-05, 11:19 PM
poopncow
MADE IN HONG KONG

Bikes: some but not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find 1/2 a tandem crank! Oh someone just said that.... Well OK, mount a reg crank th eother way and use eggbeaters. don't thing they care which way they are facing.
Old 08-13-05, 12:22 AM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just dismount to the left? And use a dry chain lube?
Likes For Brian:
Old 08-13-05, 08:57 AM
phidauex
Spoked to Death

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Expatriate
Wouldn't it be easier to just dismount to the left? And use a dry chain lube?
You are in the Alt Bike Culture forum, remember? Its not about easy 'sensible' solutions, its about wild and wacky solutions, preferably ones that involve welding, grinding or at least sourcing obscure parts from distant corners of the globe so you can use them in a manner that the designer never intended, all to solve a problem that wasn't really a problem in the first place.

peace,
sam
Old 08-13-05, 02:22 PM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andygates
"There are bmx hubs and single speed freewheels available with left hand threads for left side mounting."
Yeah, I'm watching the X Games and noticed that Dave Mira's bike is a lefty.
Old 08-13-05, 04:51 PM
FireTeamCharlie
Can't touch this!

Bikes: Hoffman Disrupter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed that when I was watching his BMX trick tips video. If I remeber correctly he grinded left, and di a few other things lefty, the 180s and stuff like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.