Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Carrying Pepper Spray?

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Carrying Pepper Spray?

Old 02-20-10, 08:48 PM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
For dogs a small air horn works quite well and doesn't have the blow back problem of spray and works from a greater distance. If you go this route you might want to train the kids to cover their ears when you tell them to. Save the other stuff for bears, if bears really are a problem. I don't have bears here but the wild boars can do some harm ...
Old 02-28-10, 10:32 PM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pepper spray? Would Dirty Harry carry pepper spray? COME ON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0lvp...eature=related

And, back to seriousness...

I have thought about getting some HALT! spray. I see a lot of dogs out and about, some chase, but most ARE chained up good. Just think a little HALT! spray would be a good thing to have...
Old 03-04-10, 06:14 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This reminds me of the "Bear awareness" joke.

"Just wear bells so that when you walk, the bears can hear you coming and get out of your way. Also - watch out for bear poop in the area. You can tell it belongs to a bear if it has bells in it."
Old 03-04-10, 06:21 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6731 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 3,198 Posts
Originally Posted by rooftest
This reminds me of the "Bear awareness" joke.

"Just wear bells so that when you walk, the bears can hear you coming and get out of your way. Also - watch out for bear poop in the area. You can tell it belongs to a bear if it has bells in it."
And it smells like pepper spray...
Old 03-05-10, 10:18 PM
toolbear

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS trike, Specialized FSRxc Expert, Swissbike LX folding hardtail, Dahon Speed 7 folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HarryStoddard
Instead of spraying some animal in the face with chemicals why not spritz yourself with the urine of a really big bear? Nothing will go near you. Nothing.
@@@

Animals use and respond to scent markers. We provide some. We have been using a similar practice for years to mark out our campsites as OURS. Never had a problem, even in bear country - and the van is really like a Whitman Sampler for bears. They like everything we carry. Need a bear box the size of a garage. If they have bear boxes, then they really have a bear problem and we throw the food totes in them.

I've got a potpourri spray mounted in a Swiss fanny pack strapped to the right side of the tubes as a sorta saddlebag. It's in a mesh sleeve for easy access. A pair of trail bars are in the rear sleeve for easy access. My binocs, maps, etc. are in the center compartment.

It's like a fire extinguisher. Have one, go for years with no need. Don't have one? Stand by... It's a good luck charm, rather like my Kimber .45.
Old 10-19-18, 03:20 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I had an encounter with a dog once and so bought dog repellent and carried it for 3 years but never saw another dog again. With that I figured it was just an anomaly. I don't carry anything now.
Instead of spraying some animal in the face with chemicals why not spritz yourself with the urine of a really big bear? Nothing will go near you. Nothing.
Who needs bear urine. Human smell is worse...much worse. So just be natural. It will repel any animal on earth, in including other humans. BTW, bears have a super sensitive nose even greater than dogs. As long as you're downwind, they'll smell you coming from miles away.
Old 11-27-18, 06:16 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Human smell is worse...much worse. So just be natural. It will repel any animal on earth, in including other humans.
Not where I live, given the fact that a person who has not showered for the last decade is nowhere near as bad as the reek of the local pulp mill's settling ponds when the wind blows....

In all seriousness, though, it's going to depend on where you are (and I don't know where you live). You're probably fine without pepper spray, but since you've ordered it, carry it if you feel the need to.
Old 12-05-18, 01:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

OP in CT not AK..
Old 12-06-18, 02:26 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I am also thinking of getting one. Not because of dogs but we currently have an aggressive coyote who has attacked several joggers and one child so far on trails not too far away from where I commuting to work.
https://www.apnews.com/ca64175498894c459f861a9569fe99bf
Old 12-06-18, 02:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
If you are carrying repellant, be careful of robots in the area:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/two-dozen-...005454336.html
Old 12-06-18, 08:38 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I carry bear spray, 100% of the time, Why would you go that far,? most here would say... Well I will tell you why,. Around here bears have become used to humans, and yes, 20/30 years ago 100% of the bears I have "encountered" ran/hid... The last 10 years or so pretty well ALL the bears I have encountered, , stop, look, and just stay where they were.... 0% have "run away" (right away) ... now most "end up" running away, but I have had a few that stood their ground and a few that actually charged me.... I can assure you that when a bear charges you, you WILL,... go out and buy a can of bear spray for the next ride... Oh, and as for dogs, well now, they are the only time I have used my bear spray, (3 times in the last 10 years)...
Old 12-06-18, 08:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Except an amorous female.

Ben
Old 12-07-18, 10:58 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Sounds like a good idea for non-lethal defense. I've carried a knife before. It's good just to have anyways.
Old 12-24-18, 02:13 PM
oldmountain

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking about carrying spray for all the dog encounters we have in the area, my question is after you spray a dog do you bother letting the owner know?
Old 12-26-18, 05:02 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Catul
Hi all, newbie here - just posted in the General Cycling Discussion forum but thought perhaps I'd get a more targeted response here:

I've recently started riding on bike paths/MUP with my young kids, and am concerned about the slim possibility of dog attacks (reading about stuff like this doesn't help !). With dogs, up-to-no-good humans, and rare black bears (we do have some in this area), I decided I needed to be prepared and so just ordered some Sabre Red Cyclist Pepper Spray - looks like I can just strap it to the top post, haven't received it yet. Also considered the Kimber PepperBlaster which should be equally effective.

Anyone carry either of these products with them? Anyone actually used these? Any other thoughts on "active protection" issues when riding on bike paths with your kids?

Hopefully I never have occasion to use any of this stuff. Thanks!
I honestly don't carry anything. I have my Co2 air horn, of course and only used it once this year, as I needed to get the attention of a City tree crew doing brushing/trimming on an MUP. The only dog encounter I've had, was from a dog who seemed to think my bike was a large sheep and tried for a bit, to herd me back to the flock in the field. Anything else, I've been able to drop the animal or person and get away.
Old 01-01-19, 05:52 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldmountain
I'm thinking about carrying spray for all the dog encounters we have in the area, my question is after you spray a dog do you bother letting the owner know?
call the police. You don’t need a confrontation with the owner and you don’t want someone figuring out it was you that sprayed their poor little wouldn’t hurt a fly pooch and feeding the police a story about this crazy cyclist that attacked their dog.
Old 01-01-19, 06:57 PM
KraneXL

None whatsoever. You can however notify animal control to issue a citation to the owner of the offending pooch.
Old 01-01-19, 08:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Sue them, after the fact, and you might win their House ..
Old 02-16-19, 04:38 PM
Teabike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would use a bell along with the spray.
Old 02-16-19, 05:44 PM
KraneXL

The purpose of the bell is to let the animal know you're coming. The best advice in dealing with wild animals is to never confront them in the first place. Keep your distance. If you want to get closer, go to a zoo.,

Any animal will attack if you get too close, whether that's intentional or by accident. Even a timid opossum will defend itself if you corner it. The good news with these carnivores is that humans are not on their food list, but they will come after you if they see you as prey. So don't look like prey.
Old 02-24-19, 07:43 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not only no, but HELL no!

Pepper spray is a defensive weapon -- the purpose of which is to let you DISENGAGE AND RETREAT. If you think you have a justifiable need to use it, then follow these steps:
1) "HEY!" -- yell at the animal. This may be enough to halt the attack.
2) Spray -- give it a blast of the most potent chemical that you can have in your jurisdiction (there is no overkill).
3) Get Away! -- get out of Dodge while you can.

I would not advise trying to contact the owner, cops or Animal Control, none of whom will make your day any more pleasant than it already was. The only exception to this rule would be if you have had to hose down an animal which is vicious AND poses a continuing danger to others, so that the cops should be made aware of the situation.
Old 02-24-19, 09:49 PM
KraneXL

Are you saying do nothing so the next unsuspecting passerby who isn't carrying pepper spray can get attacked? A dog running around without a leash is illegal in the city. It is your civic duty to report it to the proper authorities. Never turn your back on that responsibility.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 02-24-19, 10:36 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
I carry bear spray, although I have never had to use it I have encountered a few black bears with no issues. Some mountain parks actually require you to carry it on their trails.

I cut the top off a water bottle and a standard bear spray can fits snugly in it. I carry it in a the bottle cage on my frame. It stays secure, but pulls out fast when you need it without undoing any Velcro. You don't have to make your own as you can buy one at MEC here: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5038-9...-Spray-Holster
Old 02-26-19, 09:58 PM
ChuteTheMall
Fred

Bikes: '08 Trek FX3, '89 Novara Pondorosa, '96 Trek 2200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check your state and local laws.
For example, here in Florida,defensive sprays cannot exceed 2 ounces and most bear sprays seem to hold at least 8 ounces. But bears are almost never a problem here.
Wind can disrupt sprays, but now Sabre Red has Pepper Gel instead of foam.
I'd advise buying two identical containers, and using one for practice and only function testing the main one.
Hitting a face sized target with your choice of spray is worth practicing, from various positions.

A concealed firearm can work better in the wind and rain, and is also a noisemaker. Again, check your state and local laws, and practice.
If you shoot someone's dog, it's going to leave a mark.
Old 02-26-19, 11:28 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Are you saying do nothing so the next unsuspecting passerby who isn't carrying pepper spray can get attacked? A dog running around without a leash is illegal in the city. It is your civic duty to report it to the proper authorities. Never turn your back on that responsibility.
That would be the "poses a continuing danger" part.

A lot of times, a loose dog that gets a face full of spray goes home and doesn't want to play anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.