Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

OT: A New Camera to Record my Rides

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 02-23-11, 09:19 PM
magohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
Ive always thought bike road movies were kind of cool (Mr Beanz etc). I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but I want to have videos of my bigger rides. For Example, Im riding the Seattle area "Chilly Hilly" this Sunday and would love some personal video of the ride. So I did some research and just purchased this camera:
https://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySpor...8517090&sr=8-2
"Kodak PlaySport (Zx3) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera"

Apparently, it will go 90 mins of recording on a single charge. 30/60 FPS and 720 or 1080 resolution. The coolest feature is that its totally waterproof and as I ride the Seattle area, this will be very valuable 75% of my rides.

All for $120 with second day delivery - Should be here Friday as I need it for Sundays ride

Hope I dont annoy you guys with my new video postings
Old 02-23-11, 09:25 PM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool! That's the camera I want to buy, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to buy a Mac just to edit the damn .mov files it produces It's a really nice camera, so enjoy it

Oh, and don't put music over your videos if you climb a hill. Let us hear the suffering
Old 02-23-11, 09:31 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know you bring up a great point. I dont know of ANY camera that records in WMV (windows format). I have a whole bunch of video converting/editing software so .mov should not be an issue - i also have a MacBook Pro with iMovie so that might be kinda cool. I dual boot with OSx and Win 7 - best of both worlds.

Now if i could only find a handlebar mount
Old 02-23-11, 09:51 PM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by magohn
You know you bring up a great point. I dont know of ANY camera that records in WMV (windows format). I have a whole bunch of video converting/editing software so .mov should not be an issue - i also have a MacBook Pro with iMovie so that might be kinda cool. I dual boot with OSx and Win 7 - best of both worlds.

My cameras record in AVI format, which can be edited in anything down to a Windows XP netbook with 1.6 GHz Atom processor.

If you know of some good software for Windows Vista or 7 that can edit .mov files, please let me know. I REALLY don't want to have to shell out $700 for a Mac Mini just so I can edit .mov files.

Here is the handlebar mount I use. I love it!
Old 02-23-11, 09:57 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Annoy us, heck we love it! My FLip records in MP4 files but the new Windows Movie Maker 2011 is compatible with these files where the old Movie Maker isn't.

I wonder if the new movie maker is with your files.
Old 02-23-11, 10:02 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the new movie maker also - be interesting to see if it will read .mov. I read the camera comes with software to auto convert form .mov to .avi if needed. Ive never had an issue with .mov as my old casio recorded in .mov so Im kind of used to the format. I also have a Cyberlink product that sems to work with anything I throw at it
Old 02-23-11, 10:03 PM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Annoy us, heck we love it! My FLip records in MP4 files but the new Windows Movie Maker 2011 is compatible with these files where the old Movie Maker isn't.

I wonder if the new movie maker is with your files.
Does Movie Maker have to convert the file first? This is very important to me, as conversion degrades quality. I REFUSE to use software that requires me to convert several hours' worth of video just so I can edit it. No @#$in way!
Old 02-23-11, 10:13 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill
Does Movie Maker have to convert the file first? This is very important to me, as conversion degrades quality. I REFUSE to use software that requires me to convert several hours' worth of video just so I can edit it. No @#$in way!
No, I pulg in my FLip, open the movie maker 2011 program. open files and I immediatley start working on them. at the end, I save the movie. Might take a few mintues to save the movie and a longer to load into youtube (as always)

I explained the process in another forum (opening my Flip files into WMM2011)

--------------------

Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis
Hey Mr. B -
Do you use a Flip to record video? I'm looking for advice on how to import video from a Flip into a video editing software like Premiere Elements, or something even more basic than that. Apparently there are format incompatibilities, and looking for someone who uses a Flip regularly...

(I don't mean to hijack the thread - I enjoy your reports...)
Yes, I'm using the Flip then transferring to the windows movie maker "2011".

Flip makes mp4 files but once opened and saved in wmm, they are converted to wmv files. Download straight from the movie maker program to load faster on youtube.

I keep my flip program open while working on the movie maker program or it will cancel the movie, keep both open while making video.

I did not use the old windows movie maker program cause it did not support the mp4 files of the flip. The new 2011 version does.. There was a way to convert them to the old movie maker program but I didn't hassle. Luckily the new 2011 does!

But once you convert them to wmv file from the FLip, you can't open them back up in the Flip program. I believe there is a way but I don't hassle with converting back. I found out some good stuff watching youtube videos.

It's a little tricky opening video clips in the movie maker 2011 program:

Step by step:

Old 02-23-11, 10:15 PM
F15Todd

Bikes: Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't wait to see the video from that camera. I bought a new Callaway driver last year from Edwin Watts and they included that same camera (white one), but I just tossed it in my desk and have yet to put the battery in it.
Old 02-23-11, 10:38 PM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I explained the process in another forum (opening my Flip files into WMM2011)

Flip makes mp4 files but once opened and saved in wmm, they are converted to wmv files.

I did not use the old windows movie maker program cause it did not support the mp4 files of the flip. The new 2011 version does.. There was a way to convert them to the old movie maker program but I didn't hassle. Luckily the new 2011 does!
Oops, I misinterpreted what you wrote in the other forum. When you said "It converts the Flip mp4 files to wmv files." I thought you meant it converted them first before you started to edit. Sorry about that
Old 02-23-11, 11:09 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial Mr Beanz - Cool idea to leave the originals on the device. Also, looks like Windows Movie Maker does support .mov:

""Windows Live Movie Maker now supports M4V, WTV, MOV, AVCHD, MPEG-4, MT2, and 3GP. I could also add any common image file format, even RAW files for which my Windows 7 system had codecs."

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366352,00.asp

P.S. Another nice feature of the Kodak, no special charger, it charges from a PC USB port.
Old 02-23-11, 11:22 PM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the tutorial Mr Beanz - Cool idea to leave the originals on the device. Also, looks like Windows Movie Maker does support .mov:

""Windows Live Movie Maker now supports M4V, WTV, MOV, AVCHD, MPEG-4, MT2, and 3GP. I could also add any common image file format, even RAW files for which my Windows 7 system had codecs."

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366352,00.asp

P.S. Another nice feature of the Kodak, no special charger, it charges from a PC USB port.
COOLNESS! You've just saved me $700! Thank you SO much!
Old 02-23-11, 11:55 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is the handlebar mount I use. I love it!
Thanks for the link!
Old 02-24-11, 12:00 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Zactly like my Flip. The Flip has a special battery pack ($24) for this purpose. Or uses AA batteries as well. I use the pack and carry extra recharged batteries as back up. Haven't needed them yet.

I'd use the Flip edit software except that WMM has so many more effects.

Both programs (Flip and WMM) cut the load time into youtube when you load through the edit program. If I create a video and load from my documents, it take twice as long! Use the edit program to load into youtube!

With the WMM 2011, I had to be signed into window live messenger to connect to youtbe via program. Flip goes straight and doens't require you to be signed in until you load the video, sign in through the program. But again, WMWM has more effects.

also, once you create the video inot WMM, it is now wmv files and can not be loaded back into the Flip (can not convert back to mp4, but really no need.)
Old 02-24-11, 12:08 AM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great info Beans and freighttrain. Very much appreciated. I cant wait to play with my new toy now
Old 02-24-11, 12:23 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh yeah, and use music!

BTW, now that it's there.

I have about 300 CD's so I downloaded a free ripper online. I convert the songs into MP3 files so that I can add them into the video. I don't mess with Itunes etc.

I use freerip basic...I only use it to convert the songs, that's it,. no "PRO" for me.
https://www.freerip.com/
Old 02-24-11, 01:03 AM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh yeah, and use music!

Now Beanz, just take a look at the view counts on my 5 newest videos and try to tell me that raw doesn't RULE
Old 02-24-11, 05:35 AM
Street Pedaler

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 (RIP), 2013 Trek Domane 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, everybody! This looks like a really nice camera and the price is right. I'm also looking for one to record some of rides but I have a question. A lot of my riding is during hours of darkness so I'm looking for a camera that can handle low light well. Does anyone have any experience using this camera in darkness and, if so, how does it do? If this wouldn't be the camera for the job, I'd be happy to hear any recommendations. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-24-11, 07:44 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Oh yeah, and use music!

I have about 300 CD's so I downloaded a free ripper online. I convert the songs into MP3 files so that I can add them into the video. I don't mess with Itunes etc.

I use freerip basic...I only use it to convert the songs, that's it,. no "PRO" for me.
https://www.freerip.com/
If you can play a piano or guitar and sing, your best to invest in a Microphone and record your own material to go with your videos, if you like somebodies song, then buy the sheet music, there are implied performance rights granted with sheet music. Another option, find a couple of local garage bands, who like music you do, record them and get them to sign a waiver that allows you to use their material, some will do it for recognition and a case of beer....

The problem is that using someone else's recorded material is a copyright violation and the RIAA is getting really tough on violators these days. While 5-10 years ago, they didn't really care about the little guy, they would rattle their sabres, but that was all, now they are willing to sue someone over a mix tape for the car.... I don't want to read here that Mr. Beanz is in jail until he can come up with the $500,000,000 that the RIAA successfully sued him for.
Old 02-24-11, 08:03 AM
rjc100

Bikes: Lemond Croix DeFer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Tachyon XC and found handlebar mounts create too much vibration and movement during recording.
I am working on use of helmet mount this year to see if it improves, but this also makes difficult to insure direction of shoot is correct. I also have a Flip Camera and like the video it takes, but only handlebar mout is option.
Old 02-24-11, 08:11 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rjc100
I have a Tachyon XC and found handlebar mounts create too much vibration and movement during recording.
I am working on use of helmet mount this year to see if it improves, but this also makes difficult to insure direction of shoot is correct. I also have a Flip Camera and like the video it takes, but only handlebar mout is option.
What is really needed is a gimbal and counterweight type mount, what is often called a Steadicam mount, professional ones are horribly expensive, you can make them at home, Google is your friend....
Old 02-24-11, 08:27 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Pedaler
Hi, everybody! This looks like a really nice camera and the price is right. I'm also looking for one to record some of rides but I have a question. A lot of my riding is during hours of darkness so I'm looking for a camera that can handle low light well. Does anyone have any experience using this camera in darkness and, if so, how does it do? If this wouldn't be the camera for the job, I'd be happy to hear any recommendations. Thanks a lot!
Most newer cameras will probably be ok for night time recording.
Try getting a 1080p HD camera with good image stabilization.
Here's mine done with an old Olympus stylus 820 on standard video (480 lines):

Old 02-24-11, 11:06 AM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
The problem is that using someone else's recorded material is a copyright violation and the RIAA is getting really tough on violators these days. While 5-10 years ago, they didn't really care about the little guy, they would rattle their sabres, but that was all, now they are willing to sue someone over a mix tape for the car.... I don't want to read here that Mr. Beanz is in jail until he can come up with the $500,000,000 that the RIAA successfully sued him for.
Yet another reason not to put music in a cycling video

Seriously, I have noticed on Mr. Beanz' videos with music YouTube puts the title, artist, and a download link to iTunes or Amazon MP3 under his videos. If they would just do that for all videos with music instead of disabling audio and putting a copyright strike against your account, that would be much better. Also, the RIAA suing grandmas, pets, children, and anyone else for money they don't have, is another thing that pisses me off. &#$% the RIAA and their heavy-handed BS tactics

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Most newer cameras will probably be ok for night time recording.
Try getting a 1080p HD camera with good image stabilization.
Here's mine done with an old Olympus stylus 820 on standard video (480 lines):

Nice! I love urban night rides. I think I would go crazy if I had to live in a small town.
Old 02-24-11, 11:32 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
self cleaning thread

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 03-01-11 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-24-11, 12:02 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Nice! I love urban night rides. I think I would go crazy if I had to live in a small town.
Thanks, but we're opposites then. After spending most of my life in cities(NYC in particular),
I yearn for the countryside

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.