Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser: July Edition

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-13, 12:25 PM
mattgmann

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my weight loss has been stagnant for well over a month now. I'm stuck at 220-225lbs. July will be my month to get back on track. Longer rides, better diet and accountability. Anyone else down for setting a goal?

Rules:
1. Weigh in on July 1st (or thereabouts)
2. Set a weight loss goal
3. Weigh yourself at least every 3rd day (at the same time of day)
4. Let others know what is working for you

My goal for July will be to lose 12lbs from the 1st of the month. I think this is a very achievable goal, so I'll have no excuses August 1st.
I will accomplish this by
1. Riding 400 miles in July hell or high water
2. Eating a healthy breakfast and lunch every day
3. Cutting my alcohol consumption to zero during the work week.

Good luck everyone.
Old 06-25-13, 01:36 PM
ChuckHubbert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in. I'll match your 12 lb. goal.
Old 06-25-13, 01:38 PM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not going to be 12, but put me down for 5.
Old 06-25-13, 01:50 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Good idea, it can be the July Edition or the Tour de France edition

I'll go for 6 Lbs. This will get me out of "obese" and into "overweight".
I'm also shooting for 400 or so miles + 25 of running.
Old 06-25-13, 01:56 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
I'd be happy at 2lbs LOL. I've been at 207-209 range for a yr now. I just try to ride faster and not worry about the weight...til I get dropped like a rock on a hill
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 06-25-13, 02:02 PM
Jimbojo

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm in, going for 250 miles and 10lbs. I have been doing a modified paleo diet and i have lost 10 lbs in the last 5 weeks, but I just started riding 1 1/2 weeks ago.

Jimbojo
Old 06-25-13, 02:54 PM
mccardguy1

Bikes: None yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a new guy here I figured I would jump in and take this challenge as well. I will lose at least 12 pounds for the month of July (if I get my bike I expect that number to increase). I cant weigh in every 3rd day but I normally weigh in on Saturdays and will certainly post my progress here. I love the fact I have others to be accountable to. I hope you all dont mind that the newbie jumps in and participates.

I mentioned in another post that I am currently 467 pounds and have lost 34 pounds since Easter and 51 pounds overall by sticking to a 2000 calorie diet and doing more and more walking each day. I am working on getting a bike that fits my Clydesdale body and hope to have that within 3 or so weeks.
Old 06-25-13, 04:30 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in but don't know how much I'll lose. I'll try for 8 pounds.

Charlie
Old 06-25-13, 06:17 PM
iTrek

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in, will shoot for ten pounds and 300 miles.
Old 06-25-13, 06:46 PM
Tel0004

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in as well. Put me down for 6. This month has been bad (3 lbs) although my diet hasn't been perfect, it hasn't been horrible. I'll be on vacation July 2-7th, but I'll try to stick to a somewhat healthy diet while gone.
Old 06-25-13, 09:44 PM
3rdcoast

Bikes: 2019 Giant Propel, 2017 Giant Revolt, 2015 Cervelo P3, 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2008 Giant OCR c3,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put me down for 12 and 400 miles. I'm also on vacation July 3- July 8 but no excuses

226 today
Old 06-26-13, 12:43 AM
brwarrior

Bikes: Raleigh Misceo, Giant Composite Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 pounds and 500 miles. It's going to be a chore. Things should really start heating up around here which will suck for riding in the evening. It's either up earlier, or go later. I know I've got one weekend out of town for camping.
Old 06-26-13, 06:04 AM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that Bruce Lee said that failing is honorable if the goal was high enough. I am starting at 6 feet tall 153 lbs. I have been stagnate for 1 year not been able to lose any. So my goal is to lose 13 lbs and ride 300 miles but I am going to cheat and start today.

I would set the mileage higher but when my body is over stressed aches and pains really increase. Maybe I can beat my mileage goal.

I am also going to throw in 20 hours of yoga.

I hope that we all exceed our goals.
Old 06-26-13, 06:31 AM
chrisrook

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale R200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's nice to have people to compete/train with, even if it is online. Went to the doctor yesterday, their scale said 253, my home scale said 250, split the difference and say 251.5lbs. At my current max ride distance and amount I ride in the week, I can do 315-325 next month, so lets up that to at least 350 and push myself to improve. My goal was to lose 20lbs by September 1st, but my sister is pushing me to lose 30-40, so lets go with 12lbs this month and see what happens. Throw in some core exercises to build up endurance and strength, should meet the goal no problem! Good luck to everyone, and safe riding!
Old 06-26-13, 06:35 AM
chrisrook

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale R200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mccardguy1
Being a new guy here I figured I would jump in and take this challenge as well. I will lose at least 12 pounds for the month of July (if I get my bike I expect that number to increase). I cant weigh in every 3rd day but I normally weigh in on Saturdays and will certainly post my progress here. I love the fact I have others to be accountable to. I hope you all dont mind that the newbie jumps in and participates.

I mentioned in another post that I am currently 467 pounds and have lost 34 pounds since Easter and 51 pounds overall by sticking to a 2000 calorie diet and doing more and more walking each day. I am working on getting a bike that fits my Clydesdale body and hope to have that within 3 or so weeks.
Congratulations on the weight loss! As for newbies joining in, i'm a newb too. Only started biking about 2 weeks ago, and only seriously last week. Good luck on getting your bike in soon, and enjoy it!
Old 06-26-13, 07:10 AM
Jimbojo

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
I am starting at 6 feet tall 153 lbs.
Typo?
Old 06-26-13, 07:10 AM
ChuckHubbert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new too. I Committed to an early August 250 mile/5 day tour in early March, got started with eating well, bought my bike later in March. I learn something new every time I ride, it seems.
Old 06-26-13, 11:05 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I will throw in for 10 lbs in July and try to reclaim the 450 miles I probably won't finish up this month.

I am currently at 226 (227 as of this morning to be exact) and I figure with the long weekend around the 4th and most of my month clear, I will get the miles in. Just in miles alone I should burn 4.5 lbs, so eating right and getting a core strength program in place, 10 should be easy-peasy.

Great challenge OP!!
Old 06-26-13, 11:07 AM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a typo. 2 years ago I was at 213. 44 years ago I was at 140. So I am trying to turn time back 44 years. I don't know if I can lose anymore but there is still some fat around the middle that could go.
Old 06-26-13, 11:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by mattgmann
3. Cutting my alcohol consumption to zero during the work week.
Could never do it. Alcohol consumption is what gets me through the work week.

I am going to ride my bike. If I lose weight, I lose weight. I will probably be doing the Bon Ton Roulet, so I might.
Old 06-26-13, 11:22 AM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll throw my hat into this ring.

Lose 10 pounds
Ride 100+ miles
Old 06-26-13, 12:11 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Could never do it. Alcohol consumption is what gets me through the work week.

I am going to ride my bike. If I lose weight, I lose weight. I will probably be doing the Bon Ton Roulet, so I might.

Interested to hear your thoughts after the Bon Ton Roulet as that seems like a really cool ride!
Old 06-26-13, 01:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
Interested to hear your thoughts after the Bon Ton Roulet as that seems like a really cool ride!
Did it in 2006. It's decent event for the northeast. Not that far a drive from Philly, at least not this year's starting point. Not so large that it's crazy like Cycle Oregon, which has over 2000 people. The riding was nice. North-south was often on the flatter side. Going east-west threw some nasty climbs at us. The camping areas, which were mostly at local schools and one college, were decent. Staying at schools meant flush johns and gym showers. I started early and didn't dally, so I got done early each day. That allowed me to get shady spots. This year, the first or second night will be at a state park. That should be intersting. I would not be surprised if they will need a shower truck and porta potties.

The one thing I found lacking were several of the dinners. Low-grade, elementary school caffeteria food. Lunch is on your own dime, which I acually don't mind. I would rather pay for food I want than something I don't. The week after Bon Ton I did CANDISC in North Dakota. While free GatorAde and water were proivided, all food way pay as you go. That was nice. The first rest stop on the first day was in the basement of a church. The church ladies sold fruit, real lemonade and baked goods while services were being held upstairs. A real slice of Americana. On Bon Ton I only ate lunch on the road once. The other times I would buy lunch in the overnight town. The wine thing is nice. I didn't bother with any wineries because I was usually on the road too early and don't like to drink when I am riding. But one day a rest stop was in a town with a wine store. I bought a few bottles of local wine and the SAG driver drove it to camp for me.

One notable exception to the so-so food was the dinner before the last day of riding. A caterer made roast chickens. Everyone got half a good-sized chicken and sides. It was excellent. They also had kegs of beer. I had made friends with one of the massage girls that worked the ride every year. We stayed up very late fininishing off the last keg with some of the volunteers. They have a tradition for the last night. They sit around and tell the dirties jokes you can imagine. Funny when you consider that the ride is organized by a YMCA chapter.
Old 06-27-13, 09:00 AM
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count me in. 2 years ago when I dropped 40, checking in each week on this forum's weight loss thread was huge motivation. Unfortunately over the past year I gained 15 of the 40 back. Haven't been riding much due to the kids and work taking up almost all of my free time. Actually, I don't have any free time. Currently at 235, would like to get back to 220ish. I am going to shoot for shedding 8-10 lbs in July. I have started eating better again and doing the food log thing. Cutting out soda. Now I just need to find time to ride!!!
Old 06-27-13, 12:08 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I've gotten off track the last couple of weeks so, this thread comes at the perfect time to get me back on the right road. Put me down for 12 pounds in July and 500 miles.

FYI - I weigh every Friday so, tomorrow I will post my official weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.