Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Derailleur Group Set Question

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-18-17, 11:47 AM
adrockr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hopefully this is posted in the right place. I have a 1995 Specialized StumpJumper that I am attempting to refurbish. The Shimano group set that it came with is as follows:

Component Group Shimano Deore XT / LX
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX Compact Drive, bottom-pull/clamp-on 31.8 mm
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT GS (200GS)

What is the (approximate) currently manufactured equivalents for these?
Old 05-18-17, 02:32 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by adrockr
Hopefully this is posted in the right place. I have a 1995 Specialized StumpJumper that I am attempting to refurbish. The Shimano group set that it came with is as follows:

Component Group Shimano Deore XT / LX
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX Compact Drive, bottom-pull/clamp-on 31.8 mm
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT GS (200GS)

I assume that's a triple front and 8 speed rear? Everything now is pretty much 10 and 11 spd rear by Shimano. You can still get new triple fronts like Deore (no letters following it) or SLX though. Your best bets are eBay, Amazon and larger online blowout stores for the exact same items (or closest perf level but same-speed equivalents).
Old 05-19-17, 11:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Alivio, Deore, and XT will be absolutely fantastic quality and I doubt you would find any of it is 'worse' than what your bike came with.

You could do 3x9 or 2x9 both easily and without a lot or cost(relatively speaking) if you use Alivio and Deore components thru ebay and are OK with waiting a few weeks for deliveries from China/Taiwan.

If there is nothing wrong with your current derailleurs, you could keep them if you switch to a 9sp setup. So old derailleurs and new shifting/crank.
Old 05-21-17, 09:31 PM
adrockr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this. Exactly what I needed. Looks like Deore is the way to go. Going to switch the rear and do a 9x3.
Old 08-29-19, 01:58 PM
adrockr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Q-Factor?

I know this is a very old post, but I'm finally getting back to this bike. I'm concerned about the Q-factor and being able to fit something newer on this bike. I'm considering a 2x9 or 1x10 and they are very affordable, but I'm not sure they would fit it. Any ideas?? Any idea of the q-factor?

1995 stumpy
Old 08-29-19, 01:59 PM
adrockr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is a very old post, but I'm finally getting back to this bike. I'm concerned about the Q-factor and being able to fit something newer on this bike. I'm considering a 1x9 or 1x10, but I'm not sure what would fit it. Any ideas?? Any idea of the q-factor?
Old 09-04-19, 07:26 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I know this is a very old post, but I'm finally getting back to this bike. I'm concerned about the Q-factor and being able to fit something newer on this bike. I'm considering a 1x9 or 1x10, but I'm not sure what would fit it. Any ideas?? Any idea of the q-factor?
its very possible you can get up to a 10 speed cassette on the hub body if yours was an 8 speed. you can get a narrow wide chainring on the crankset with a 9 speed deore setup 9 speed shifter derailleur and cassette.

Last edited by carlosponti; 09-04-19 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 01:25 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
why Q-factor? you'll be fine
I've used 7 speed XT cranks with 9 speed drive trains all the time
Old 09-08-19, 07:00 PM
adrockr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosponti
its very possible you can get up to a 10 speed cassette on the hub body if yours was an 8 speed. you can get a narrow wide chainring on the crankset with a 9 speed deore setup 9 speed shifter derailleur and cassette.
fantastic. Would you mind linking me to a suitable cassette and chainring. I already have the the 9-speed deore derailleur.
Old 09-08-19, 07:06 PM
adrockr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Alivio, Deore, and XT will be absolutely fantastic quality and I doubt you would find any of it is 'worse' than what your bike came with.

You could do 3x9 or 2x9 both easily and without a lot or cost(relatively speaking) if you use Alivio and Deore components thru ebay and are OK with waiting a few weeks for deliveries from China/Taiwan.

If there is nothing wrong with your current derailleurs, you could keep them if you switch to a 9sp setup. So old derailleurs and new shifting/crank.
I don't mind waiting. I'm just a little concerned about getting the right parts. Could you link me to the right parts for a 2x9?
Old 09-08-19, 07:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I don't mind waiting. I'm just a little concerned about getting the right parts. Could you link me to the right parts for a 2x9?
Based on quoting a 2.5 year old thread, you certainly are ok with waiting.
Google or ebay search 9sp alivio and deore. Those are interchangeable. I dont have any specific links though.