Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tubeless tire not holding air

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 11-03-19, 02:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

After years of riding on tubes over all types of gravel and never having to think twice about my tires, I went to tubeless for my current gravel bike to be trendy and try something new.

Itd been great for almost a couple months, then the rear entire lost pressure multiple times on my last ride. No idea why- it was all on roads I've ridden before and nothing aggressive.

It's totally sealed, but slowly leaks air. So I added some sealant and it's still leaking, though I cant see or hear where there is an issue.

This is just me complaining as I'm sure it will reseal over the night and be good as new come tomorrow.
Just annoying that it's already more work than i ever put in with tubes.
Old 11-03-19, 03:12 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Not to sound condescending, but if it's losing air, that air is getting out somewhere.

If it's not a UST wheel and it needs tape, it might be leaking out through an error in the tape.
Might be leaking out the stem or core.
The bead might not be seated all the way around, particularly if the tire was mounted dry.

Living with tubeless is something of a learning process. I've been strictly on tubeless for +30,000 miles now, and leaks are infrequent. But it was a bit of trial and error to get here.
Old 11-03-19, 03:19 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I've had this happen with a mountain bike, it was fine for months, then started leaking and sealant didn't stop it. I ended up removing the tape, cleaning everything off, then tape it again as if doing a new wheel. That fixed the issue.
Likes For katsup:
Old 11-03-19, 03:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Ha, no not condescending. I agree it's getting out somehow.

Tonight I am going to pull the tire, clean the rim and tire, check the tape and valve, then install.

Cant imagine what I hit to make this happen as it's been perfectly fine up to that ride and there isnt any noticable sealed hole/cut.

Forensic time!
Old 11-03-19, 03:49 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Tonight I am going to pull the tire, clean the rim and tire, check the tape and valve, then install.

Cant imagine what I hit to make this happen as it's been perfectly fine up to that ride and there isnt any noticable sealed hole/cut.

Forensic time!
How worn is the tire? This sounds a bit like worn tubeless tire symptomology.
Old 11-03-19, 03:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
How worn is the tire? This sounds a bit like worn tubeless tire symptomology.
300mi so far? I dont expect these Resolutes to last as long as my other tires, but they better last longer than this.
Old 11-03-19, 06:18 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Put dish soap in water and spread around on the tire and rim, where it starts to suds will let you know where it's leaking. If it's coming out the spoke holes it's the rim tape probably. Could be valve stem too.
Likes For srode1:
Old 11-03-19, 07:44 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts

Forensic time!
In my tubeless experience if the tape isn't absolutely perfect the sealant will leak through. This doesn't present itself easily as the problem because it leaks into the rim (depending on the rim of course). If this happens you HAVE to get ALL of it out of the rim or it will cause the tape to come loose and you're back at square one.
Old 11-03-19, 09:06 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Did you shake the rim a bunch and lay it on its side both ways to make sure the sidewalls of the tires are sealed? Depending on the volume of sealant it may be leaking out of pinholes still in the sidewalls higher up
Likes For redlude97:
Old 11-03-19, 09:10 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by redlude97
Did you shake the rim a bunch and lay it on its side both ways to make sure the sidewalls of the tires are sealed? Depending on the volume of sealant it may be leaking out of pinholes still in the sidewalls higher up
He rode it for a couple months, I'm guessing it got pretty shaken up.
Old 11-04-19, 06:08 AM
grubetown

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
put dish soap in water and spread around on the tire and rim, where it starts to suds will let you know where it's leaking. If it's coming out the spoke holes it's the rim tape probably. Could be valve stem too.
+1
Old 11-04-19, 08:25 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Did you find anything?

The soapy water trick is your best bet. If I was to bet, I would guess it had something to do with the stem - especially if its been fine for so long. The stem will get a latex o-ring buildup that prevents it from sealing properly. Take the valve core out, clean it well, clean the valve stem with pipe cleaner or something, and reassemble. Ensure the stem is still snugly sealed against the rim.
Old 11-04-19, 01:47 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
It's either the valve or the tape. Pull the tire, retape it, put some sealant on the valve seat on the rim internal side.
Old 11-07-19, 07:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I discovered the issue.

- I tried to put air back in and call it good, but it slowly leaked out thru the night.
- Next I added some sealant, pumped the tire back up and spun it, but it still slowly leaded out thru the night.
- So then I pulled the tire, pulled the tape, and cleaned the tire and rim before adding new tape and pumping it up.

After filling it with air for a 3rd time during this process, a hole revealed itself in the middle of the tread right by a lug(i would guess due to air pressure working the partial seal apart). So apparently it mostly sealed while riding which kept it mostly inflated and allowed me to ride for awhile before having to fill it up, and it is small enough that I didnt feel it when running my thumb over the inner casing, though that was a pretty fast check on my part. I have no idea why the hole didnt full seal- its really small, but maybe I needed to have more sealant in the tire?

Funny that I rode thousands of miles on tubes and never flatted, but then switch to tubeless which should seal flats and end up flatting. Timing makes for funny irony.

Anyways, I will plug the hole so its permanently fixed and get the wheel set back up because Saturday is supposed to be 55 and sunny!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-07-19, 08:05 AM
shoota 

I discovered the issue.

- I tried to put air back in and call it good, but it slowly leaked out thru the night.
- Next I added some sealant, pumped the tire back up and spun it, but it still slowly leaded out thru the night.
- So then I pulled the tire, pulled the tape, and cleaned the tire and rim before adding new tape and pumping it up.

After filling it with air for a 3rd time during this process, a hole revealed itself in the middle of the tread right by a lug(i would guess due to air pressure working the partial seal apart). So apparently it mostly sealed while riding which kept it mostly inflated and allowed me to ride for awhile before having to fill it up, and it is small enough that I didnt feel it when running my thumb over the inner casing, though that was a pretty fast check on my part. I have no idea why the hole didnt full seal- its really small, but maybe I needed to have more sealant in the tire?

Funny that I rode thousands of miles on tubes and never flatted, but then switch to tubeless which should seal flats and end up flatting. Timing makes for funny irony.

Anyways, I will plug the hole so its permanently fixed and get the wheel set back up because Saturday is supposed to be 55 and sunny!
Yeah I would say that's definitely an exception rather than the rule. My friends and I barely ever flat and we ride much tougher conditions than Iowa roads :/
Old 11-07-19, 02:55 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

I discovered the issue.

Your could have saved a lot of time and effort using soapy water ya know!

Anyway, what sealant are you using?
Old 11-07-19, 04:04 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Glad you found it.

All of my small holes seal themselves. If it is much more than a pin hole, I will let the tire sit overnight (at pressure) with the hole on the ground, so it is in a puddle of sealant (in the tire).

Periodically, I'll check for wet spots on my tire - as any new holes will be a little damp from a little sealant seeping out.
Old 11-07-19, 04:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Your could have saved a lot of time and effort using soapy water ya know!

Anyway, what sealant are you using?
How could time have been saved? Since I'm new to tubeless issues, I'm really not sure how time would have been saved.

The cut is in the middle of the tread and didnt reveal itself until a few refills of the tire.
Are you suggesting I fill the tire with soapy water and would have then seen the cut?

Its Stans sealant.
Old 11-07-19, 05:47 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

The cut is in the middle of the tread and didnt reveal itself until a few refills of the tire.
Are you suggesting I fill the tire with soapy water and would have then seen the cut?

Its Stans sealant.
For a leak on tubeless if you wipe soapy water on the tire the leak will suds up quickly be it on the tire or the stem etc. It would have found that lead immediately.

I'd recommend ditching the Stans sealant and using Orange Seal, it's what everyone I know uses, never had a leak it didn't fix although a good sized gash it might not.
Old 11-07-19, 06:36 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
tubeless is rocket science. Go back to tubes!
Old 11-09-19, 05:03 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
For a leak on tubeless if you wipe soapy water on the tire the leak will suds up quickly be it on the tire or the stem etc. It would have found that lead immediately.

I'd recommend ditching the Stans sealant and using Orange Seal, it's what everyone I know uses, never had a leak it didn't fix although a good sized gash it might not.
Yep the soapy water approach probably would have found the leak. I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. My tubeless tires had been performing great - sealing up some relatively large punctures that I experienced. Then I got the slow leak syndrome. I assumed the sealant (orange) would take care of it but it didn't. So I did the soapy water routine and found a couple tiny holes. The odd thing is that they weren't letting any sealant out...they were that small.

My guess is that with a really tiny tiny leak the air just isn't coming out with enough force to push any sealant into or through the hole and therefore won't actually seal, especially if you don't position the hole at the bottom of the wheel rotation for a while and let the sealant get into to puncture. Which is what I did after putting about another ounce of sealant in my tire. Sealed up just fine once I left it sitting that way for a bit.