Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Steel All-road frames

Old 11-04-19, 09:22 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Steel All-road frames

Help me find options for what I'm looking for.

I recently built up a 70s Windsor all an all road bike and I'll admit, it has opened my eyes to how a full steel bike can feel on the road. Really the only thing I'd change on it if I could is I'd make it disc brake and wider tire clearance.

So what's out there that is disc (preferably post mount), threaded BB, lively geo, full steel, and 38-40mm tire clearance at least? And not full custom prices.

I was looking at BMC but it seems like he doesn't make a disc version of anything except the Road+ frame. (Which is actually a pretty cool frame, and I love the lugged fork :heart:

Also looked at:
Soma Fog Cutter - pretty good contender

Last edited by shoota; 11-24-19 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 10:07 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
https://blackmtncycles.com/frames/mcd-frames/

Thru axels. Takes wide tires. Disc brakes. Good price.

I think will take up to 45mm tires
Old 11-04-19, 10:16 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by trailangel
https://blackmtncycles.com/frames/mcd-frames/

Thru axels. Takes wide tires. Disc brakes. Good price.

I think will take up to 45mm tires
Wow, not sure how I missed that. Thanks
Old 11-04-19, 10:28 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Pretty sure has threaded BB as well. I like the olive color.
Old 11-04-19, 10:52 AM
loheiman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I built up a Jamis Renegade Escapade and at $850 for the frameset (with carbon fork), I think it's a great deal. Threaded BB, thru axles, clearance for 700 x 42 or 650 x 47.

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/reneg...ade_frame.html
Old 11-04-19, 12:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
When I was looking for something like what you describe a couple years ago, my short list came down to:

Soma Fog Cutter
All City Space Horse
Twin Six Standard Rando.

I went with the Fog Cutter. Only the CF fork was available at the time, I might have gone with the steel one if I were doing it over. I like the bike a lot.

Recently, A friend got a Space Horse. Very nice bike, and the paint scheme is pretty freaking cool. Having checked hers out, I could have been happy with either frame, and cost was similar.

Old 11-04-19, 12:58 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Lots of threads on this...

https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...el-frames.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...eel-frame.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...er-1500-a.html

etc
Likes For chas58:
Old 11-04-19, 02:28 PM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Copied from the Paceline post for completeness:

I agonized over this same question for the past couple months before finally buying a Black Mountain Road+ last week (still haven't received it or built it up yet so I can't comment) but here was the list that I compiled that somewhat fits this category.

I am in the "much more road than all road" category so some of these are definitely more pavement oriented. In the end it came down to the Black Mountain Road+ and the Soma Fog Cutter. That Fog Cutter can be had for $600 with the carbon fork and Velomine has some really decent 700c disc wheels for $200.

- Black Mountain Cycles Road+
- Soma Fog Cutter
- Soma Double Cross Disc
- Jamis Renegade
- All City Space Horse
- Velo Orange Polyvalent
- Niner RLT 9 steel
- Velo Orange Pass Hunter (new version not yet released)
- Fairdale Rockitship
- Kona Rove ST
- Twin Six Standard Rando
- Fairlight Secan

Building up the Road+ with a Shimano 105 groupset and going to have a go building my own wheels with the Pacenti Forza Disc rims laced to Shimano R7070 hubs.

PS: you guys and your Fog Cutter builds are making me have a twinge of buyer's remorse!
Old 11-04-19, 03:44 PM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
I've been intrigued by BikesDirect 853 Gravel frameset.

Full Reynolds 853. Disc, thru axels, says capable of 700c*40.

Edit: Fork is Carbon

Last edited by dpicare26; 11-04-19 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 04:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Gunnar Sport Disc? Sport Disc
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-04-19, 05:45 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Here's mine, with low-trail fork (slightly heavier and stiffer than regular fork):

what WTB tires are on there?
Old 11-04-19, 06:12 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by loheiman
I built up a Jamis Renegade Escapade and at $850 for the frameset (with carbon fork), I think it's a great deal. Threaded BB, thru axles, clearance for 700 x 42 or 650 x 47.

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/reneg...ade_frame.html
X2 on this! Jamis has been making great steel bikes for 3 generations now. The Renegade is on the third generation of frames and really has it dialed in. Great carbon fork as well. Very reasonable price and looks good too.

BTW, I have a new never ridden Steel Bombtrack gravel bike frame with carbon fork available that will fit someone about 5'10" - 6'. PM me if you are interested. It is European Columbus steel and very beautiful! Never ridden...
Old 11-04-19, 07:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota

I recently built up a 70s Windsor all an all road bike and I'll admit, it has opened my eyes to how a full steel bike can feel on the road. Really the only thing I'd change on it if I could is I'd make it disc brake and wider tire clearance.

So what's out there that is disc (preferably post mount), threaded BB, lively geo, full steel, and 38-40mm tire clearance at least? And not full custom prices.

I was looking at BMC but it seems like he doesn't make a disc version of anything except the Road+ frame. (Which is actually a pretty cool frame, and I love the lugged fork :heart

Also looked at:
So full steel will eliminate a lot of possibilities since so many mix a steel frame with carbon fork(niner, all city, Janis, etc etc).

The Black Mountain MCD frame, as mentioned, is an option. I really like the geometry and set up my old rim brake frame for commuting/touring. The geometry is very 'middle' in that nothing is super aggressive or super slack.
The frame is made with .8/.5/.8 heat treated tubing and the paint is really quality. Its wet paint with a clear coat powder.
50mm tires fit, thru axle, post mount brakes.
The MCD frames have a good bit of stack height to them, just a specific mention since you've said you like a more stretched out setup. The reach is a bit more than most frames I compared, for what its worth.

Then you have Surly.
And then you move on.

As mentioned, Soma is a great option and there are multiple forks to give you a more custom setup based on how you want to ride(low trail or mid trail, basically).

All City Spacehorse is a full steel frameset for a reasonable price and comes in 3 colors.

And I bring in something outta left field- Fairlight Faran. Not one that would be mentioned, just due to small size and being across the pond.
Reynolds 631 shaped main tubes with S bend stays. Room for 42mm tire. Post mount brakes. Geometry that is more road than slack. 3 different frame colors.
$770 for frame, fork, headset, and seat collar.

If you do go with a steel frame and carbon fork, there are obviously tons of option- many already mentioned.
And bombtrack seems to be a popular option to see mentioned...its columbus cromer tubing which is .9/.6/.9 butting. It's perfectly fine, but I mention this because generic tubing or 631 is thinner/lighter and strong.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 11-04-19 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 08:11 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

I was looking at BMC but it seems like he doesn't make a disc version of anything except the Road+ frame. (Which is actually a pretty cool frame, and I love the lugged fork :heart

Also looked at:
does it have to be a 700?

Midnight special
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/midnight_special

I mean if you want fat tires and lively. It's with this bike. Road geo but can do so much more.
Old 11-04-19, 08:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

4.8 pounds for the 54R, woof.
Yes, not a feather.
I often find this among the under $1000 steel framesets- they certainly arent light and in the case of the Faran, it's to meet whatever the certifications over there are.

The Jamis Renegade 631 frame in size 56 weighs 4.93#, so in line with a slightly smaller Faran weighing slightly less.

Meanwhile, the largest Black Mountain MCD frame weighs 2275g or 5 pounds with what I would guess is probably the thinnest butting and profile on this price range of frames.

Since you built up the fog cutter, what does that frame and fork weigh?
This stuff always interests me since it is so uncommon to list on websites.
Old 11-04-19, 08:16 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Don't sleep on the Ribble CGR series. There's a steel version that gets good reviews, ticks your boxes, and is a solid value (subtract 17% VAT from the listed price but add shipping cost). I have a currency value alert set on the pound. If it drops low enough I'm gonna snatch one of these up.
Old 11-04-19, 08:25 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by dwmckee
X2 on this! Jamis has been making great steel bikes for 3 generations now. The Renegade is on the third generation of frames and really has it dialed in. Great carbon fork as well. Very reasonable price and looks good too.

BTW, I have a new never ridden Steel Bombtrack gravel bike frame with carbon fork available that will fit someone about 5'10" - 6'. PM me if you are interested. It is European Columbus steel and very beautiful! Never ridden...
I'll admit it, the Renegade Escapade is one of the only (mostly) black bikes that I've really liked, it looks amazing. My wife has a Renegade Expat so I'm very familiar with them. For the price we paid it has been an absolutely ridiculously good deal. The problem with the Renegades is that their geo doesn't suit me well. I'm very in between sizes :/

PM me on that bombtrack, that's my height so I'm curious what you have.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The Black Mountain MCD frame, as mentioned, is an option. I really like the geometry and set up my old rim brake frame for commuting/touring. The geometry is very 'middle' in that nothing is super aggressive or super slack.
The frame is made with .8/.5/.8 heat treated tubing and the paint is really quality. Its wet paint with a clear coat powder.
50mm tires fit, thru axle, post mount brakes.
The MCD frames have a good bit of stack height to them, just a specific mention since you've said you like a more stretched out setup. The reach is a bit more than most frames I compared, for what its worth.

Then you have Surly.
And then you move on.

As mentioned, Soma is a great option and there are multiple forks to give you a more custom setup based on how you want to ride(low trail or mid trail, basically).

All City Spacehorse is a full steel frameset for a reasonable price and comes in 3 colors.

And I bring in something outta left field- Fairlight Faran. Not one that would be mentioned, just due to small size and being across the pond.
Reynolds 631 shaped main tubes with S bend stays. Room for 42mm tire. Post mount brakes. Geometry that is more road than slack. 3 different frame colors.
$770 for frame, fork, headset, and seat collar.

If you do go with a steel frame and carbon fork, there are obviously tons of option- many already mentioned.
And bombtrack seems to be a popular option to see mentioned...its columbus cromer tubing which is .9/.6/.9 butting. It's perfectly fine, but I mention this because generic tubing or 631 is thinner/lighter and strong.
I always love your insight, you know a ton about these bikes, so thank you I saw the Fairlight Secan mentioned but for the life of me I cannot find a geo chart for any of the Fairlight bikes. Do you have that by chance?

Originally Posted by Metieval
does it have to be a 700?

Midnight special
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/midnight_special

I mean if you want fat tires and lively. It's with this bike. Road geo but can do so much more.
I've been pondering the 650 vs 700 thing. I'm not opposed to 650 but I think I'd want the frame to be able to handle to 700 as well. Not sure if the Midnight Special can do that. And the other thing about this bike I just can't seem to get over is how ugly the fork is. It's just plain awful.

Yes, not a feather.
I often find this among the under $1000 steel framesets- they certainly arent light and in the case of the Faran, it's to meet whatever the certifications over there are.

The Jamis Renegade 631 frame in size 56 weighs 4.93#, so in line with a slightly smaller Faran weighing slightly less.

Meanwhile, the largest Black Mountain MCD frame weighs 2275g or 5 pounds with what I would guess is probably the thinnest butting and profile on this price range of frames.

Since you built up the fog cutter, what does that frame and fork weigh?
This stuff always interests me since it is so uncommon to list on websites.
Very interesting on the weights there. I'm also definitely curious to know what the Soma frameset weighs in at. I have one local to me that could be a contender.
Old 11-04-19, 08:44 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
Don't sleep on the Ribble CGR series. There's a steel version that gets good reviews, ticks your boxes, and is a solid value (subtract 17% VAT from the listed price but add shipping cost). I have a currency value alert set on the pound. If it drops low enough I'm gonna snatch one of these up.
I don't see an option for steel fork which is one of the OP's requirements.

Old 11-04-19, 08:49 PM
DanBell

Oh yeah, you're right. I missed that bit.
Old 11-04-19, 08:53 PM
DanBell

I saw the Fairlight Secan mentioned but for the life of me I cannot find a geo chart for any of the Fairlight bikes. Do you have that by chance?
Page 75 in here. A friend of mine has the Strael, their more road-oriented offering. It's a fantastic bike.
Old 11-04-19, 08:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I saw the Fairlight Secan mentioned but for the life of me I cannot find a geo chart for any of the Fairlight bikes. Do you have that by chance?
The faran geometry info is here-
https://fairlightcycles.com/faran/fa...v=7516fd43adaa

Some general Faran info is here- https://fairlightcycles.com/faran/?v=7516fd43adaa

And concept/design notes(story behind the build) is here- https://fairlightcycles.com/faran-co...v=7516fd43adaa

With all this said, it looks like the Faran is out of stock right now. If you email the company, Dom(an owner and main designer) or someone will usually reply within a business day, if not the same day. They continually resupply the Secan and Strael(beautiful road frame) frames thru the year, so I would think they would have a date for the Faran too.

Curious- what do you like about your Windsor when compared to the Raleigh or Cannondale? You mentioned the Windsor is fun to ride and opened eyes. I'm guessing it has a lot more flex compared to your other bikes, based on the traditional tubing diameters.

Also, I've only been mentioning the Faran since it's a steel frame and fork. The Secan is a full carbon fork and about $1250 for the frame, fork, thru axles, headset, and seat collar.
Just clarifying since you mention the Secan in response to my post on the Faran(similar seeming names for sure).

Last edited by mstateglfr; 11-04-19 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 09:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Word is the TA fittings and OS headtubes are behind the weight increase but I'm not sure that's all. I think butting profiles are being changed as well to account for disc brakes and collateral ISO testing. Either way most gravel bikes are now in a weird grey area where they a lot heavier than road bikes, not much less than mountain frames but without the capability. A divergence for another thread maybe, it's my personal windmill this season. Bike weights for off-road road bikes are too high!
100% agree.

One thing about the Black Mountain is that like many Somas, it isnt a 44mm head tube. That alone saves some weight and with a steel fork a huge head tube isnt needed. I haven't found a modern 1 1/8 steel steerer to flex too much at all.

I would be fascinated to listed to bike insiders explain the fatigue and safety testing that goes into frame certification. The amount of beefing up frames is significant.
Old 11-04-19, 09:08 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by DanBell
Page 75 in here. A friend of mine has the Strael, their more road-oriented offering. It's a fantastic bike.
Geez no wonder I couldn't find it.

The faran geometry info is here-
https://fairlightcycles.com/faran/fa...v=7516fd43adaa

Some general Faran info is here- https://fairlightcycles.com/faran/?v=7516fd43adaa

And concept/design notes(story behind the build) is here- https://fairlightcycles.com/faran-co...v=7516fd43adaa

With all this said, it looks like the Faran is out of stock right now. If you email the company, Dom(an owner and main designer) or someone will usually reply within a business day, if not the same day. They continually resupply the Secan and Strael(beautiful road frame) frames thru the year, so I would think they would have a date for the Faran too.

Curious- what do you like about your Windsor when compared to the Raleigh or Cannondale? You mentioned the Windsor is fun to ride and opened eyes. I'm guessing it has a lot more flex compared to your other bikes, based on the traditional tubing diameters.

Also, I've only been mentioning the Faran since it's a steel frame and fork. The Secan is a full carbon fork and about $1250 for the frame, fork, thru axles, headset, and seat collar.
Just clarifying since you mention the Secan in response to my post on the Faran(similar seeming names for sure).
Yep you guessed it, way more flex. Almost too much in the front end tbh. It's a limp noodle. Makes for a compliant ride but it sure isn't confidence inspiring in the handling department. Part of me wishes I had kept the Tamland, that really was a fantastic bike.

I think for the price of the Secan I'd just go with an All City since I can ride one here in town and support the lbs and be supported. To make this make sense the frame/fork has to be as cheap as possible.
Old 11-05-19, 09:19 AM
Smitty2k1

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
My 52cm Fog Cutter was 4.25lbs for the frame and 2.2lbs for the fork with 230mm of steerer.
FWIW Soma lists the carbon version of the Fog Cutter fork at about 775g, saves a touch a weight.

Space Horse is awesome and owners sing their praises, but the frameset alone comes only in cream (which isn't a bad thing...)
Old 11-05-19, 09:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Smitty2k1
Space Horse is awesome and owners sing their praises, but the frameset alone comes only in cream (which isn't a bad thing...)
Oh, good point. That may explain why I see so many retro cream Space Horse bikes too- many build em up instead of buy stock and its the only color available.
It'd be neat if the others were available too though. Sorta like how the ZigZag isnt available in purple as a frame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.