Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bike computer recommendations?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-19-14, 01:21 PM
peggyd73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've really appreciated all of the advice found in this forum! While this isn't a clyde specific question, I would still appreciate your thoughts!

I'm upgrading my bike (should be able to pick up on Saturday - SO EXCITED!!) and want to get a bike computer to track speed, mileage, and cadence. I'm intrigued by the idea of a HRM -- but not sure its necessary as any exercise (regardless of Heart Rate zone is better than none).

My question for the group - are the Garmin's worth it? I like the idea of turn by turn directions that can accommodate the cue sheets talked about on group rides (since I'd like to join those once I can keep up!) and had to cut a ride short on Monday because I wasn't comfortable I could get back to my starting point.

I've already ordered Sigma 16.12 (cadence, speed, no mapping) but after having been nearly lost on Monday-- starting to wonder if garmin might be worth investment.

Thoughts?
Old 06-19-14, 02:13 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I love my Garmin 800! I use the route features much more than I thought I would. I don't need the additional features of the 810 or 1000, and their software is still working out some bugs.

Is it worth it? I'm retired with a great pension....
Old 06-19-14, 02:23 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I want a Garmin ... however I can't really justify the expense at the moment.

That said, I have a cheap Sigma on my road bike, tells me speed, cadence, etc ... very basic, but when I first got it I found the cadence reading very helpful.

On my commuter, I have no computer. I do, however, use my Android phone with Endomondo and I pair it to a Polar H7 HRM. I don't check it repeatedly, but it's nice to have a record of my effort and know how hard I was pushing. The nice thing about the H7 is it's scads cheaper than a Garmin, and with the phone I've got GPS already. For now, it's a cobbled together solution that works.

If I had the funds, I'd get the Garmin, no question. But not having it isn't precluding me from riding.
Old 06-19-14, 02:27 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
I've the 510 bundle. It has absolutely been worth the cost. I don't even use the feature you seem to value so much. Do you have a smart phone, if so you have maps there. Think of your needs not just today but a year from now, two years from now. Is weightloss one of your goals? A HRM can help you with that. Garmins are user friendly and will show you what info you wish to see. I have one unit and three bikes set up to use it, 2 with speed/cadence. I can use differnt screens for different activities where I want different information, such as during a race I could care less about time of day or temp. On training, fitness or fun rides that may be exactly what I want to see.
Old 06-19-14, 06:50 PM
feds27

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a simple Cateye Strada for speed/distance/cadence but I've been looking into the stuff that Wahoo offers that works via bluetooth to an iphone/droid. The Stages power meter seems cool too but pricey (although it's cheap compared to other power meters).
Old 06-19-14, 07:09 PM
Ray Dockrey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my Iphone. I have the Wahoo speed and cadence sensor along with a Wahoo heart rate monitor all connected through Bluetooth. Works fantastic. I run an external battery pack on the phone to extend battery life. I use the Wahoo fitness app and then upload from there to Strava.
Old 06-19-14, 07:22 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray Dockrey
I use my Iphone. I have the Wahoo speed and cadence sensor along with a Wahoo heart rate monitor all connected through Bluetooth. Works fantastic. I run an external battery pack on the phone to extend battery life. I use the Wahoo fitness app and then upload from there to Strava.
I have the same setup with the Wahoo Rflkt to save some battery life. I don't get lost, but if I did I would use the gps feature on my iPhone to get me back. I also have different cateye computers on different bikes. They all work fine and I wanted the something that would connect to the rear wheel so it would work with the trainer during the winter.
Old 06-19-14, 07:43 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been using a Garmin Edge since 2008. Started out with the Edge 705 then upgraded to the 800 (for cheap) when it was replaced by the 810. I absolutely love the device, but have to admit that I almost never use the maps. I did use them when I rode from San Francisco to Los Angeles in 2009, and they were indispensable, but for most of my riding I have absolutely no use for maps. FYI, I didn't want to pay for new map data when I upgraded to the Edge 800, so I bought a cheap SD card and have been using the Open Street Map data. From what I've seen, it appears to work just as well as the expensive Garmin map data...
Old 06-19-14, 07:51 PM
B8888S

Bikes: '13 Roubaix Elite Apex, '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite, '14 Demo 8 II, & '13 Stumpjumper Comp HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
I've the 510 bundle. It has absolutely been worth the cost..
I bought mine about a year ago and don't regret it at all. I really like how you can customize the screens to show exactly what you want. I have it setup different for my road bike, my gravel bike, and my mountain bike. I got mine on sale and would buy it again at full price today if need be.
Old 06-19-14, 07:53 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I need to upgrade...............
Old 06-19-14, 07:53 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feds27
I use a simple Cateye Strada for speed/distance/cadence but I've been looking into the stuff that Wahoo offers that works via bluetooth to an iphone/droid.
+1 for the Strada , it's durable and accurate. I also like the Sigma, very easy to operate. If you ride in different areas frequently, then maybe, your Garmin idea is a good one. If not .....
Old 06-19-14, 10:01 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I'm new to cycling and wanted a computer also, wound up with the Garmin Edge 200 ( $100) it doesn't measure cadence but it does everything else I need, I hook into Strava.. so for I very pleased with it
Old 06-19-14, 10:20 PM
B8888S

Bikes: '13 Roubaix Elite Apex, '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite, '14 Demo 8 II, & '13 Stumpjumper Comp HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention the main reason why I went with the Garmin 510. It can sync with your cell phone and you can start a live track. You can choose who you want to send a live track email to in your options. The live track allows my wife to see where I am, my speed, ect, along my ride. This allows me to ride and her to see where I am at, my speed, direction, and if I am still moving without calling me. This is the feature that convinced my wife that she needed to buy this for me.
Old 06-19-14, 10:26 PM
maple73

Bikes: 2001 Trek 5200 USPS Edition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have a Garmin Edge 200- I love it!
Old 06-20-14, 12:16 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by B8888S
I forgot to mention the main reason why I went with the Garmin 510. It can sync with your cell phone and you can start a live track. You can choose who you want to send a live track email to in your options. The live track allows my wife to see where I am, my speed, ect, along my ride. This allows me to ride and her to see where I am at, my speed, direction, and if I am still moving without calling me. This is the feature that convinced my wife that she needed to buy this for me.
Wifey keeps tabs on me all day long when I'm home. Why would I want her to have the capability to keep tabs on me when I'm trying to get away from her? LOL
Old 06-20-14, 07:01 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
All roads lead to Garmin. I put it off for 2 years because of the price, using the really good Cateye double wireless instead. Last year several of us here got Garmin 800s when they went on sale for basically $200 for the head unit. I enjoy cycling more because of it and will be sticking with Garmin. I find the 800 has the right amount of tech for me and the newer units don't offer anything I want.
Old 06-20-14, 08:19 AM
GeoBigJon

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Garmin 800! I will giving my 800 to the wife soon and upgrading mine. The HR monitor really helps me.
Old 06-20-14, 08:35 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoBigJon
I love my Garmin 800! I will giving my 800 to the wife soon and upgrading mine. The HR monitor really helps me.
Please let us know what you upgrade too and how it compares.
Old 06-20-14, 09:02 AM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My garmin 810 working great no issues.
Old 06-20-14, 09:13 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by B8888S
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Wifey keeps tabs on me all day long when I'm home. Why would I want her to have the capability to keep tabs on me when I'm trying to get away from her? LOL
This feature comes in real handy when I'm doing a one way ride and having LOML meeting me at the end. Just last weekend i rode from home to Costco, 44 miles away, With her knowing my route and how long it should take me she was able to time her extra shopping so as to not have to sit in a parking lot waiting for my sweaty ass.
Old 06-20-14, 11:16 AM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peggyd73
My question for the group - are the Garmin's worth it?
In a word, yes!
Old 06-22-14, 05:38 PM
Bakerb24

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to echo what everyone else here is saying, yes, the Garmins are worth it. I have used a 910xt for the last 3 years with great success. The thing is literally bullet proof. I bought it because I was doing quite a bit of running with a little bit of riding and have used and abused it. It has never had an issue.

I recently started working with a coach, power meter, etc and wanted to be able to see more data. I picked up a new Edge 1000 this past week and it is very very cool. I took it on my family vacation to the beach this week and downloaded a few routes from Mapmyride. It worked flawlessly. I have not used the bluetooth or the text/phone call notifications, but I give the 1000 a 9/10 as of this moment. I took off 1 because it was so darn expensive.
Old 06-22-14, 08:23 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I have the same setup with the Wahoo Rflkt to save some battery life. I don't get lost, but if I did I would use the gps feature on my iPhone to get me back. I also have different cateye computers on different bikes. They all work fine and I wanted the something that would connect to the rear wheel so it would work with the trainer during the winter.
+3
I also use the wahoo tckr and blue speed and cadence sensor but I use Map my ride app. Works great !! I don't have an extended battery but I can get three to four hours of screen on time with no problem from a full charge.
Old 06-23-14, 03:38 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've got an older Edge 500 model and it's pretty nice. But if you're looking for increased functionality like turn-by-turn directions, the new Edge Touring is a cost effective solution if you don't want to drop the coin on an 810 or 1000.
Old 06-23-14, 04:43 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two...an edge 705 and the edge 200.
I use these for brevets and such. The 705 stays on the map page and the 200
gives me distance,speed, total time and the like.

If you can do without the cadence function, the 200 is a great unit.
its really easy to set up. It will take .tcx files and give you a breadcrumb trail to follow (if you are on that page)
If you are on the main screen and are following a course, it will give you turn by turn pop-ups.
and its comparatively inexpensive.