Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

SoCal GMR Ride - March 8 - UPDATED DATE

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 02:23 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ride details:

Date: Sunday, March 1, 2015
Time: Ride at TBD (probably around 8am)

Confirmed
3) Beachgrad05
4) TrojanHorse
5) TrojanPony
7) LGHT
8) jimincalif
9) jimincalif's riding buddy
10) tunavic
11) coolchili13
12) TGT1
13) PhotoJoe
14) jsigone
15) TJClay
16) raceboy
17) Hunkerdown
18) Vince990
19) Elvo
20) Jackie (Mrs. Rick@
)

Original Post:
Is there a GMR ride planned for the future? My riding buddy is finally up for trying... she is an extremely strong rider but the traffic has always bothered her ( we have driven the route). Another friend did it Saturday and I guess if she could do it, my buddy will try. She just wants to make sure to do it on a day when a bunch of riders are trying... I told her I would do it as well... but a bunch of riders means nothing to mean as I will be so far off the back, I'm riding by myself!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 03-04-15 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 03:09 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Is there a GMR ride planned for the future? My riding buddy is finally up for trying... she is an extremely strong rider but the traffic has always bothered her ( we have driven the route). Another friend did it Saturday and I guess if she could do it, my buddy will try. She just wants to make sure to do it on a day when a bunch of riders are trying... I told her I would do it as well... but a bunch of riders means nothing to mean as I will be so far off the back, I'm riding by myself!
I'm not aware of anything in the works, however, that's not to say that we can't put something together. I'm usually one of the instigators, however, have been avoiding it lately just simply because it's been so cold. I would think maybe shoot for late Feb or early March, but that's just me. Open to input from others with more experience than I.

And I laugh in your general direction! There's always that one person who says "yah, I'll be the slowest", and I guess somebody has to be, but I give most a good run for their money for the last to arrive. Doesn't matter, though. It's a ride, not a race. We ride our own ride, regroup at the shack, then regroup again at the village.

Speaking of the shack and village, which would your desired destination be? Have you ever done GMR before? I don't recall. And if it helps encourage your friend, I think we've had a noob on each and every ride I've done, and each one said that they'd try, but didn't expect to succeed. And I've NEVER seen anyone not accomplish their goal, whether the shack or the village.

Oh, and I hope you don't mind, but I added "and Athena" to your thread title. Trust me, you would have heard about it!

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 01-12-15 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 03:28 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Depending on the date working out, I'm interested. Last weekend in February is a good one for me.
Old 01-12-15, 03:42 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Oh, and @LGHT.

I don't remember you saying you wanted to join us on a GMR ride, but I know you want to!
Old 01-12-15, 04:02 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe

Speaking of the shack and village, which would your desired destination be? Have you ever done GMR before? I don't recall. And if it helps encourage your friend, I think we've had a noob on each and every ride I've done, and each one said that they'd try, but didn't expect to succeed. And I've NEVER seen anyone not accomplish their goal, whether the shack or the village.

[/URL]
Thanks for adding Athena! I just wasn't thinking clearly!

For me rather go to the shack for the first time but my friend... well, another one of our friends went all the way to the Village so my friend will want to do that as well (and maybe even beyond)... I am not worried about her as she is an extremely strong rider (she is clearly not a noob but an experienced rider who has done many a century - she just doesn't like riding in traffic), about 135 lbs and 6' tall, I hate her! Me, the fat beast that I am, will struggle but I have done tough climbs before and welcome the challenge (although I say that now - on day of likely I will be whining...).

My friend and I do mountain biking in the area... we have driven GMR and the narrow roads and traffic put us off. My friend was hit by a car some time ago so doesn't like iffy traffic conditions. Frankly I would like myself to be in better shape (Christmas holiday was very very good to me which means I gained work and didn't ride) and wait until March but since our friend did the ride this last Saturday, in the rain, my friend now wants to go... like TODAY...

If anyone is interested in showing us the ropes... let me know. Hopefully we can put something together...last weekend in February sounds good to me as well...

And Photo... not that's its something to brag about, I will be last. I have accepted that about myself... last up but usually first down!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-12-15, 04:09 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, and @LGHT.

I don't remember you saying you wanted to join us on a GMR ride, but I know you want to!
Depending on when it's scheduled I would probably try, but to be honest I'm older than the amount of total rides I've logged. I have just logged my 40th EVER ride and still very new especially to riding hills so I would probably cruise at around 5-7mph and would just be lost in the dust of everyone else.
Old 01-12-15, 04:15 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
... last up but usually first down!
Ah yes....Gravity. Oh, how I hate gravity (on the way up!)

Originally Posted by LGHT
I would probably cruise at around 5-7mph and would just be lost in the dust of everyone else.
Cruise at 5-7 mph? Wave as you pass me by!
Old 01-12-15, 04:24 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mind if I ask what's a GMR ride? Does that have anything to do with the route?
Old 01-12-15, 04:32 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Glendora Mt Road
https://www.strava.com/segments/656844
Old 01-12-15, 04:34 PM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Good question I have a feeling I may have found the wrong route on strava since 5-7mph seems to a be bit fast lol.
Old 01-12-15, 04:40 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Good question I have a feeling I may have found the wrong route on strava since 5-7mph seems to a be bit fast lol.
LOL. Doesn't matter what the pace is. It's all about the challenge, and the reward. It's worth every pedal stroke!

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 01-12-15 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 04:42 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I know it's a long drive for you, but this is one of those rides that defines "the more, the merrier"!!!
Old 01-12-15, 04:43 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
...or is it "misery loves company"? I can't remember!
Old 01-12-15, 04:47 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
yup the climb is pretty awesome, hurts but awesome. On clear smog days you can see downtown LA, turn the corner and seems like you're lost in the mountains. I'm sure the view is great right now if any of the snow stuck to the ground. I've been up there in sleet and snow, cold as F but love the views. The fire place down at the Lodge is your best friend, next to some hot chocolate.

from the first C&A ride I did with the crew. I was silly enough to pack my DSLR and some primes w/ me

Last edited by jsigone; 01-12-15 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 04:54 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like the downhill direction would be a piece of cake.
Old 01-12-15, 04:57 PM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok I just clicked the GMR route link and the one I found had about 1/2 the incline I don't think I've climbed 5,000' TOTAL EVER so yeah this would be a huge challenge. I think I would probably have to start a an hour or so before everyone else and plan on a 10-15 break every 1000' of climbing and set my pace really sloww to do it..
Old 01-12-15, 05:24 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looks like the downhill direction would be a piece of cake.
That's what we call "the reward"!!!!

Ok I just clicked the GMR route link and the one I found had about 1/2 the incline I don't think I've climbed 5,000' TOTAL EVER so yeah this would be a huge challenge. I think I would probably have to start a an hour or so before everyone else and plan on a 10-15 break every 1000' of climbing and set my pace really sloww to do it..
You may have opened a link to the shack, which many people do for their first run on GMR.

https://www.strava.com/activities/49779411
Old 01-12-15, 06:31 PM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's what we call "the reward"!!!!

You may have opened a link to the shack, which many people do for their first run on GMR.

https://www.strava.com/activities/49779411
Yeah I opened something similar. Would love to try it, but I have a feeling I'm going to need another season before I'm ready for something like that...
Old 01-12-15, 06:53 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on when it's scheduled I would probably try, but to be honest I'm older than the amount of total rides I've logged. I have just logged my 40th EVER ride and still very new especially to riding hills so I would probably cruise at around 5-7mph and would just be lost in the dust of everyone else.
I will be 64... how old are you? I would be happy if I could ride 5 - 7 mph... I am usually around 3 - 4. I know, from experience, that you can clock at 2.5mph and not fall over! And around riding hills... it is never a group thing... everyone must do their own pace - fast riders have to go fast and slow slow... hopefully along the way people stop and meet up.

Old 01-12-15, 06:54 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
yup the climb is pretty awesome, hurts but awesome.
It only hurts if you try riding up the hill in your 39 / 21 gear.

not a race.
What?

If Jsigone is there, it's not a race. if it's just me and Photojoe... it's a race. Know your limits, sez I.

@LGHT - the bottom half of the hill from the gate to the shack is about 2,000 feet - you are probably plenty capable of making it up if you're not trying to kill yourself. Compact crank in front, 26 or 28 tooth cog in the back and you'll be fine. The slope is pretty consistent, mostly about 6%. Give it a whirl - if you really just flat out can't make it, it's an easy coast back to your car! Can't go wrong. Speaking of I don't think I can do it, where's Psalm these days?

I think the race the base tri is on the 28th, so maybe the 29th would work.
Old 01-12-15, 06:59 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I opened something similar. Would love to try it, but I have a feeling I'm going to need another season before I'm ready for something like that...
you might be surprised... I rode my first century without any training or any long rides... I had planned on only pushing to 50 and couldn't find a good place to stop...

I have climbed mountains... thought I would sag, but just got in a rhythm and cranked up the mountain just getting lost in my thoughts. Nice thing about GMR, the view will keep you engaged. As long as I have something to look at I am good. Of course listen to me, never done GMR so I'm just hoping to make the Shack...

PJ: How far from the Shack do you meet up with GRR? I think once I get there, the views will keep me going... that and Coke and Shockblocks!

Old 01-12-15, 07:01 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
It only hurts if you try riding up the hill in your 39 / 21 gear.

My bike is equipped with 12/36 (XTR derailleur and SRAM XX cassette)... really no excuse not be do this!

Old 01-12-15, 07:01 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
If Jsigone is there, it's not a race. if it's just me and Photojoe... it's a race. Know your limits, sez I.
I see how it is. It's only a race if you know you can win! NICE! Hey, if you need someone to make yourself feel fast, I'm happy to be that guy!
Old 01-12-15, 07:06 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I see how it is. It's only a race if you know you can win! NICE! Hey, if you need someone to make yourself feel fast, I'm happy to be that guy!
Hey, I'm recovering from a knee injury! I have excuses (ready to go and serialized!)
Old 01-12-15, 07:09 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

you might be surprised... I rode my first century without any training or any long rides... I had planned on only pushing to 50 and couldn't find a good place to stop...

I have climbed mountains... thought I would sag, but just got in a rhythm and cranked up the mountain just getting lost in my thoughts. Nice thing about GMR, the view will keep you engaged. As long as I have something to look at I am good. Of course listen to me, never done GMR so I'm just hoping to make the Shack...

PJ: How far from the Shack do you meet up with GRR? I think once I get there, the views will keep me going... that and Coke and Shockblocks!
12x36? 12 IN FRONT? Is that even possible? Can you pedal fast enough to stay upright?

As for GRR - it basically starts at the shack and it's rolling hills until you get to the next decent climb, which is about half of what the climb to the shack was, and then it's downhill into the village for tea and crumpets. You can always ride the GRR portion till it gets steep again and then turn around, I did that my first time up there because I had time constraints.

It's a much nicer ride in the early months because it's not an oven and everything is still green - should be really green this year, compared to previous years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.