Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'82 Raleigh SBDU TTS modded how I like

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 02:09 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts

Finally got around to finishing the build.
60x53. 753R/T mix.
1566gm frame. 667gm fork.

Parts list:-
- Berthoud saddle
- basic Cinelli stem
- NOS Dixna Cross Bandy 26.0mm bar. 60mm reach. 100m drop. Flare. Real nice for fit.
- Modolo brake calipers with Koolstop pad replacements.
- 32hole DT RR411 rim set. Could have gone with less spokes at my weight (59kg), but whatever.
- Shimano 600 hubs; 6401 FB, with 9 of 10 Ultegra 10sp cassette 12-23. Dropping in a custom/narrow-width rear spacer would allow for 10 cogs.
- 10sp Ultegra chain.
- Need to grab a matching old 600 front skewer to match the rear.
- Middleburn RO2? X-Type crank with 42t T.A. Outer, and 22t Middleburn Inner.
- MKS pedal and cage.
- NOS Suntour Mountech v1 front d. Shifts up and down real nice.
- Campy Victory dt shifters, clamped on.
- Rebuilt Suntour Cyclone M-II GT rear d.
- NOS Zefal pump. Works nice.
- Simworks Burrito rear rack. Has a nice scallop hold area vs the flat, standard Nitto version.
- Nitto seatpost. I will probably be switching that for a vintage carbon big setback, with a Selle Anatomica saddle, allowing for a little more setback.
- Shimano aero levers. Work nice.
- 'party up front' bar wrap. Sanded down cork plugs.

Started off building the look around the Stronglight headset design.
Added a vintage French shifter 'cause I like the design. May end up putting that on the next frame.
Will switch in a proper-length front-brake cable housing, as I bodged the first attempt.

Frame rides quite lively, with a bit of flex throughout.
Fits 700x28mm no probs. Could do 30mm.

Grabbed from: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/...winner.468337/

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-13-24 at 02:29 AM. Reason: txt
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 04-13-24, 02:26 AM
belacqua

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
"how I like" is my favorite kind of build.

curious what work was done on the Cyclone rd?
Likes For belacqua:
Old 04-13-24, 02:31 AM
tangerineowl

Originally Posted by belacqua
"how I like" is my favorite kind of build.

curious what work was done on the Cyclone rd?
No 'work' as such. Just stripped down and re-built.
Was in pretty good nick when I purchased it though.
Old 04-13-24, 08:03 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 972 Posts
That looks very twitchy. Have you tried it with a loaded rack?
Old 04-13-24, 11:35 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Finally! Been waiting for your thread.

Seeing the frame built up makes me realize how tall you are. I am quite envious of those cranks...after looking around a bit for weight weenie stuff they are a great choice.

Do those modolo brakes stop well? If you find yourself in want, I can attest the CLB professional do very nicely while also being lightweight.

On my 753r frame I'm finding that when pushing up short hills I need to swap from my usual 'stomp and grind' style of climbing to a modern style of spin to win, and using a much lower gear for standing and climbing. Otherwise it gets reallllllly spongy in the rear of the bike. Otherwise I really love how flexy the frame is, super comfy ride.

Nice setup, it's not traditional at all but it looks good and, most importantly, I think the build makes sense in terms of fit and gearing.

Have you had a chance to weigh it?
Old 04-13-24, 01:03 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
You really put a lot of thought into this. Those bars are a real find. I like the Coloral bottle. Did it take some research to find a derailleur that would perform the 20T jump and take up the slack? Thank you for not going with heinous STI's.

Old 04-13-24, 04:45 PM
tangerineowl

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
That looks very twitchy. Have you tried it with a loaded rack?
Only a small, light load on top. Rides fine.
Plan is to not ride with much weight on it, when I do.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-13-24 at 05:06 PM. Reason: txt
Old 04-13-24, 04:52 PM
tangerineowl

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
You really put a lot of thought into this. Those bars are a real find. I like the Coloral bottle. Did it take some research to find a derailleur that would perform the 20T jump and take up the slack? Thank you for not going with heinous STI's.
I've been aware of the 26mm Bandy for some time. My drops fit preference is for a short drop, rather than those long-drop traditional bars.
I did prior have an old GB rando style bar fitted, which had a really nice flared drops section, but the tops were only about 330mm! ctc. It had to go.
Was fortunate to eventually track down the 26mm Bandy NOS, as they're now 31.8mm.

Yes, the bottle is a nice colour match/satin/flute to the frame and other silver satin bits.

Re the front derailleur, there was a U.S. site/shop I came across which mentioned it could handle a 20t difference, so I trusted them and then found one to purchase locally.
Similar for the rear d.; being able to handle this kind of gearing spread. For a short test, I had a 12-28 on, which was fine.
While I like the Campy Victory 'paddle' shape, I read somewhere the barrel size? throw? was a good match for the lever pull/clock required on someone's old XT rear setup with had a 30t? or larger cassette.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-13-24 at 05:46 PM. Reason: txt
Old 04-13-24, 05:03 PM
tangerineowl

Originally Posted by Piff
Finally! Been waiting for your thread.

Seeing the frame built up makes me realize how tall you are. I am quite envious of those cranks...after looking around a bit for weight weenie stuff they are a great choice.

Do those modolo brakes stop well? If you find yourself in want, I can attest the CLB professional do very nicely while also being lightweight.

On my 753r frame I'm finding that when pushing up short hills I need to swap from my usual 'stomp and grind' style of climbing to a modern style of spin to win, and using a much lower gear for standing and climbing. Otherwise it gets reallllllly spongy in the rear of the bike. Otherwise I really love how flexy the frame is, super comfy ride.

Nice setup, it's not traditional at all but it looks good and, most importantly, I think the build makes sense in terms of fit and gearing.

Have you had a chance to weigh it?
Am 5'9.5", with almost 34" inseam and long femurs. Arms a little on the shorter side.

The brakes stop fine with the Koolstop replacements. Had to bend/toe-in the arms a little; standard? I guess.
Yes, I did read of the CLB back when considering. Just liked the grey/red mix of these Modolo; nice colour against frameset.

Rode it up a long, fairly steep hill yesterday. Seated and standing. I generally sit and mostly spin.
Out of the saddle though, the rear was stiff; bike moved nicely up the hill. Rear feel could be due to the twin-tapered [thicker in the middle] seat stay.

I do tend to weigh all parts when receiving them. Haven't weighed the build, as is, but dropping the rack and that Nitto post would save about 650gm.
Will weigh it, as is, with everything on as in pic, later today.

Edit: Close to 22 lbs flat, as in pic, with everything on. Not too bad with some heavy bits on.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-14-24 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Txt