Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How do you lock your bike up?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-18, 12:29 PM
czr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What method and type of locks do you use to lock your bikes? What has worked for you and what hasn't?

Last edited by czr; 02-11-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-11-18, 02:42 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I go with BTN style security (Better Than Nothing). Steel chain, in a piece of innertube, and a combination padlock. I figure with a chain, at least it will foil a basic wire cutter, but nothing will foil the thief who really wants my jalopy. When I bought the bike, it had a cable lock on it, that I had to cut. It was just too easy, so I switched to the chain. I also follow the practice of parking next to a nicer bike.

When I go somewhere downtown or on the university campus, I bring an Abus chain lock with a hardened chain.

I've never had a bike stolen, so in that sense, all of my locks have worked for me, but I also doubt that I've ever put them to the acid test, such as overnight in NYC.
Old 02-11-18, 05:51 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Abus Bordo (combination style so I don't have to worry about a key) if I've gotta lock it up somewhere for a little while. At work it's a steel mesh bike locker with a high-rated Master padlock. Overnight or longer it's Schlage deadbolts, because the only place my bikes spend the night is in the house.

The Abus is pretty stout. Big ol' slabs of hardened steel that fold together into a neat little package. Like any security it can be defeated, but I feel like it's enough that the would-be thief is gonna see it and move on to easier prey. Downside: it weighs about the same as a Fiat 500.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-11-18, 06:56 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
If it's gonna be out there for a while, Kryptonite U-lock for the frame, Kryptonite cable for the wheels.
Old 02-11-18, 08:23 PM
StirFry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
I use an abus ultra mini when running errands, and a lightweight combination chain lock attached to my wife's bike when at home. I never leave my bike outside for any appreciable amounts of time, and I'm honestly more worried about someone breaking into my house one day and taking off with my bike than it happening in public.
Old 02-11-18, 10:53 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Small U-lock on the rear wheel in between the seat and chain stays against a fixed object works best. Sometimes just throw the U-lock around the rear wheel and seat tube if the bike's with in sight and I'm just running into a store for a second. also sometimes carry a cable if I plan on locking up for longer
Old 02-12-18, 08:06 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I bring it inside with me just about everywhere I go. Now and again someone will crab about it at the grocery store near my house but if they do, I throw it into a shopping cart and push that around the store. **** 'em.
Old 02-12-18, 08:15 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
If you can, definitely keep it inside. Don't let people know what you have/how much it's worth. I'm a little paranoid after having one stolen out of my basement a few years ago (shared basement in our condo; locked up with a U lock and heavy steel cable) so I would definitely go with keeping it inside, preferably next to your bed so you can see it when you go to sleep All kidding aside, I had one there for a long time, nowhere else to put it.

Definitely keep it out of sight though, my fixed gear is by a window inside now, which has the blinds closed all the time so it isn't seen and targeted.

Dave
Old 02-13-18, 10:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,049 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I bring it inside with me just about everywhere I go. Now and again someone will crab about it at the grocery store near my house but if they do, I throw it into a shopping cart and push that around the store. **** 'em.
You have made my evening complete! One of my favorite comments in a long while!

My local grocery store (a large soulless chain) told me to move my bike to the front produce stand because I typically keep it near the emergency door and they might have an emergency which renders the two front doors a few feet from the emergency door useless? Though if they ever complain I might have to grocery cart that shiz.
Old 02-13-18, 11:01 PM
czr

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen exactly one person that I can recall walk their bike around the store with them. Never in a shopping cart but if you can stick a kid in one, why not a bike?
Old 02-13-18, 11:30 PM
PortlandEddie

Bikes: Fuji cross

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
abus lock to a bike rack in a high traffic area.
Old 02-14-18, 08:24 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I had to carry my wheels in with me once, so I put 'em in my cart. I had guy get all indignant and say "People put their FOOD in there!", to which I replied "So will I, but I'm going to CLEAN it and COOK it before I eat it."

Last edited by JeremyLC; 02-14-18 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 09:24 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the grocery stores are less likely to complain about walking in with your bike if you are clacking along in your road shoes and superhero outfit. Then they just look at you with pity.
Old 02-15-18, 12:47 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
U lock through rim section of unomounted front wheel and rear wheel at the triangle.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 02-18-18, 08:46 PM
TheatreME

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go a little overkill. Krypotnite U lock that I try to get thru a section of the rear triangle and around the wheel with a 6' flex cable that I wrap through the saddle rails and around both wheels locked with the ulock AND a combination cable lock also around both wheels. I hate getting leather saddles stolen...
Old 02-19-18, 01:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,049 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by TheatreME
I go a little overkill. Krypotnite U lock that I try to get thru a section of the rear triangle and around the wheel with a 6' flex cable that I wrap through the saddle rails and around both wheels locked with the ulock AND a combination cable lock also around both wheels. I hate getting leather saddles stolen...
Cables are underkill, they can be easily snipped through and offer low protection. Overkill would more be heavy duty chains (like ABUS Granit Extreme Plus 59s) instead of cables and maybe a U-lock or folding lock designed for motorsports equipment (again ABUS Granit Extreme stuff) for the frame and maybe Pinhead or Pitlocks for the wheels and other bolts. That would be my version of overkill but I still wouldn't call that overkill in some places it would be just good locking to prevent theft.
Old 02-20-18, 05:16 PM
epdarks

Bikes: various

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Sounds kinda stupid but I ride my crappy bikes if I have to lock them for extended periods. If I have my nice bikes then its 2x kryponite U-locks, one for the front wheel and frame, one for the rear wheel to the frame. Locked up my Peugeot this way in downtown Detroit for a long weekend and I still own it!
Old 02-21-18, 02:21 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
I use a U-lock and don't leave it unattended for more than a couple hours. I don't want to carry anything more than that. I think the length of time it sits is a big part of it. People who commute to work or leave their bike locked up all day or night probably have a higher chance of it getting stolen. Would be thieves will have more time to scope it out and possibly even learn your schedule.

I've had a motorcycle stolen before. It wasn't when I would leave it in parking lots for hours with nothing more than a disk lock. Nope, it was in the gated parking deck at the place I lived secured to a beam with the biggest Onguard chain and lock offered at the time. The real kicker is it happened during broad daylight, went to work and when I came back it was gone.

Nothing is guaranteed not to be stolen so you just have to weigh the risks I guess.
Old 02-21-18, 08:20 PM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
Here is what happened to me with locks that were too small for downtown Philadelphia.

I doubt this would have happened with a U-lock.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Old 02-22-18, 06:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Abus Bordo 6500 folds but is quite secure.. but I moved from a city to a town..

Which helps..

have other locks on other bikes .. replaced QR skewers with allen bolt ones.. pitlock are more secure...

Old 04-13-18, 02:56 PM
instrumentality

Bikes: Murphy (Marty)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet clipped to the top tube, kryptonite cord starting through the rails of my saddle, through my helmet strap, then through the front wheel. Kryptonite u-lock through the frame and connecting the cord.

Frame, helmet, and front wheel secured.