Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

30 mph ebike this morning

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

30 mph ebike this morning

Old 10-28-19, 10:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
We’ve reached full stupid.

I just got a Bikeforums advertisement show up here for a 1000w e-bike painted like a WW2 fighter jet.

ONE THOUSAND watts.
That's a motorcycle, I don't care whether it has pedals or not.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-28-19, 10:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
It is my hope that the high cost and dependability problems will damp down the current ebike fad and they will just go away. Becoming another relic of cycling’s many fads from over the years. When Costco is selling ebikes in that featured area near the entrance, their days are numbered.
There's a lot of reasons battery and motor technology keeps getting better, so cost should go down and dependability increase. I don't want them to go away, I just want their use regulated to prevent them from driving human powered transport out of the bike/pedestrian infrastructure. I also don't want them to become a loophole to allow people to drive electric cars and motorcycles without a license.
Old 10-28-19, 10:49 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Since the e-bikes are restricted by law to 20 mph I suggest this: ['citizens arrest' meme deleted]
There is a 28mph e-bike class in the U.S. and I suspect 2mph is within the margin of error caused by a motorist observing cyclist behavior from inside their cage. Is this really going to become a thing on BF? I'm out of here if, or when, a majority of posts become about e-bikes and what is wrong with them. I don't ride an e-bike but I do not see them as 'cheating'. Clearly they fulfill a need. If I had kids they would go to school on the back of a longtail cargo bike. If too old for that then they would go on their own bikes. I don't get how someone writing as a motorist gets to claim the moral high ground in a cycling forum ... and get away with it.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 10-28-19, 12:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
That is a WHOLE 1 and 1/4 horsepower.
Your point?
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-28-19, 12:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm out of here if, or when, a majority of posts become about e-bikes and what is wrong with them.

Someone needs to explain to you how incentives work.
Old 10-28-19, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Here's a post about e-bikes and what is wrong with them.

E-bikes are bicycles with an electric motor. Sometimes they break or run out of power, then they are just exceptionally heavy bicycles. If the motor is of sufficient power, they can reach speeds and carry loads that render their use on a MUP dangerous.
Old 10-28-19, 01:06 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

E-bikes are bicycles with an electric motor. Sometimes they break or run out of power, then they are just exceptionally heavy bicycles. If the motor is of sufficient power, they can reach speeds and carry loads that render their use on a MUP dangerous.
I have some friends that are really fast on their tandem. They ride all over, roads, mountains, trails etc.

One day they were about 15 miles into their ride, stopped at a park to use the facilities then remounted to continue.

As they entered the bike trail, they were rolling up to speed just as a woman on an ebike past them and shouted,"you should have gotten one of these!" while giggling pulling away. Her bubby rolled by as well but something must have told him to keep his trap shut ha ha!

After my buddies got up to speed, the woman's bike must have ran out of juice as she slowed and the tandem team poured it on and blew by her like she was standing still. My buddy shouted,"you should have gotten a battery that lasts longer!".

They had it on video and sent it to me. Wish I had kept it.

I don't mind ebikes but some of those people think we're racing them for some reason and many act pretty arrogant about it. C'mon, we know you have a motor, we're not stupid but if you do act silly about it, you better make sure your battery doesn't die while you're showing off!
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 10-28-19, 01:27 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
750 watt and below

In USA no license required for ebikes 750 watts and below. I bought 500 watt conversion kit, just to be safe from tickets etc.
Old 10-28-19, 01:45 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Your point?
Not sure on that one.

My point was that we've definitely moved beyond utility and into childish ventures once they're selling 1000w e-bikes.

And it seems to me that the "custom" and "hi-power" and "look-alike a real race bike" toys are rising just as fast as commuter/utility models.

Nobody really cares about commuters. Nobody really cares about using it to nurse an injury or medical situation to make you active.

I think we care once the electric motorcycle gang wants to barge into our club and stake a claim at belonging. The best mental image I have is it's like the nihilists from the Big Lebowski showing up to your local VFW post and plopping down with their synth-pop machine and making themselves at home.
Old 10-28-19, 01:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
I have some friends that are really fast on their tandem. They ride all over, roads, mountains, trails etc.

One day they were about 15 miles into their ride, stopped at a park to use the facilities then remounted to continue.

As they entered the bike trail, they were rolling up to speed just as a woman on an ebike past them and shouted,"you should have gotten one of these!" while giggling pulling away. Her bubby rolled by as well but something must have told him to keep his trap shut ha ha!

After my buddies got up to speed, the woman's bike must have ran out of juice as she slowed and the tandem team poured it on and blew by her like she was standing still. My buddy shouted,"you should have gotten a battery that lasts longer!".

They had it on video and sent it to me. Wish I had kept it.

I don't mind ebikes but some of those people think we're racing them for some reason and many act pretty arrogant about it. C'mon, we know you have a motor, we're not stupid but if you do act silly about it, you better make sure your battery doesn't die while you're showing off!
I'm always amazed at how competitive instincts just bring out the stoopid in people--we're doing an activity that kind of looks the same, so I'm winning if I go faster.

Mind you, when I pass someone when they''re riding an e-bike, I feel pretty good about it, but I'd never do anything as dumb as taunt them or even say anything harsher than "on your left" and/or "good morning". I'll keep my gloating to myself.

I've met some very nice people who do a lot more riding than they'd be able to without assist. I'm happy to share the path with them even if they go a little faster than me on the hills.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-28-19, 01:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by caloso
Your point?
Well, my point would be why bother putting pedals on that thing?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-28-19, 02:14 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
had my wife and me meeting up with four other riders, of whom two were acquaintances and two were strangers. One stranger, the wife, was riding some form of e-bike. Well, her battery was giving her problems, and she was forced to bail out on the ride early on. It seems that lugging a 55 lb bike up the hills with the rest of us "conventional" riders was too much. I don't blame her. Her husband had to peel off immediately to keep her company, and they missed the ride completely. Oh well.

It seems that this is the greatest drawback to the concept of an e-bike. Electrical component/battery/motor failure that leaves you astride a boat anchor. No thanks.
I often wonder how E-bike performance changes as the battery ages or the number of charges the battery has had increases by a lot. Then too, what happens in a few years if your battery dies and there's no longer a replacement made that fits your E-bike?

Cheers
Old 10-28-19, 02:28 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I'm always amazed at how competitive instincts just bring out the stoopid in people--we're doing an activity that kind of looks the same, so I'm winning if I go faster.

Mind you, when I pass someone when they''re riding an e-bike, I feel pretty good about it, but I'd never do anything as dumb as taunt them or even say anything harsher than "on your left" and/or "good morning". I'll keep my gloating to myself.

I've met some very nice people who do a lot more riding than they'd be able to without assist. I'm happy to share the path with them even if they go a little faster than me on the hills.
Yeah, I don't know what it is! If I pass someone as I do often, good morning! If another is passing me and I am doing my best, good morning and you're a bad azz! But I certainly don't take their wheel and try to compete. I figure he is passing me because he's faster. Kudos to them!
Old 10-28-19, 03:25 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I often wonder how E-bike performance changes as the battery ages or the number of charges the battery has had increases by a lot. Then too, what happens in a few years if your battery dies and there's no longer a replacement made that fits your E-bike?

Cheers
As the battery ages you lose run-time. Batteries do not age as fast as you might think. An E-bike can kick butt for longer than most people might care to own them. How many people keep ... real bicycles to the end of their service life? And, chances are good that if your battery dies that another battery of the correct capacity will fit. If that is all that's holding you back, fear not.
Old 10-28-19, 03:30 PM
Leisesturm

Didn't you accuse me of the arrogance of personal viewpoints applied generally? I haven't seen many e-bikes limping home under pedal power. Nor have I seen many e-bikes terrorizing MUP's. Seems like most e-bike riders know better than to take them on MUP's or off-road unless they are designed for that purpose. I guess you don't like e-bikes. <shrug> I doubt the people (more and more everyday) care what you think about it.
Old 10-28-19, 03:33 PM
Leisesturm

Someone needs to explain to you how incentives work.
nah, I'm good there, I stand by my POV
Old 10-28-19, 03:58 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Obviously ebikes are a different kind of bike and need appropriate regulations. First of all should be restricted to made in USA ebikes, no Chinese bikes allowed.
This would limit the problems caused by an influx of cheap imported ebikes straining our transportation infrastructure. They should be allowed to travel on roads and on-road bike lines subject to the appropriate speed limits of course. No ebikes on MUPS or any kind of soft surfaced pathway used by real bikes. None. If you have an ebike and want to race car traffic, ride on the roads. If you have an ebike and you want to show off to the racers and commuters, ride on the marked on road bike lanes. Its simple, really.
Old 10-28-19, 04:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
No ebikes on MUPS or any kind of soft surfaced pathway used by real bikes. None.
How are these guys gonna train?

Old 10-28-19, 04:20 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
had my wife and me meeting up with four other riders, of whom two were acquaintances and two were strangers. One stranger, the wife, was riding some form of e-bike. Well, her battery was giving her problems, and she was forced to bail out on the ride early on. It seems that lugging a 55 lb bike up the hills with the rest of us "conventional" riders was too much. I don't blame her. Her husband had to peel off immediately to keep her company, and they missed the ride completely. Oh well.

It seems that this is the greatest drawback to the concept of an e-bike. Electrical component/battery/motor failure that leaves you astride a boat anchor. No thanks.
Just like the mini bike. When it ran out of gas or the engine failed nobody actually rode it even though it too came with pedals.
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
It is my hope that the high cost and dependability problems will damp down the current ebike fad and they will just go away. Becoming another relic of cycling’s many fads from over the years. When Costco is selling ebikes in that featured area near the entrance, their days are numbered.
Unlikely. Unlike their now defunct predecessor the mini bike, the electric motor of the e-bike is a lot more reliable not to mention cleaner and more cost efficient.
Old 10-28-19, 04:30 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
50cc scooters are able to be ridden, unlicensed and unregistered, pretty much everywhere, and that has been the case for a long time. I didn't hear [m]any people moaning about that, so why do e-bikes have so many knickers in a twist all of a sudden?

EDIT: Missed the second page, where others have already covered this.
I believe in CT if you hit 50cc you have to license it. In the nearest (small) city near me, the very young kids on 49cc scooters are a menace. They are in traffic and totally out of control. It scares the hell out of drivers and pedestrians alike. Often they don't have lights and none are insured.
Old 10-28-19, 04:35 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I believe in CT.
In CT you don't need a helmet to ride a motorcycle, do kids need one on a e bike?
Old 10-28-19, 04:53 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
In CT you don't need a helmet to ride a motorcycle, do kids need one on a e bike?

Helmet Requirements

The thirteen states with a three-tiered classification system do differ in terms of helmet requirements. Connecticut has the strictest requirement, requiring operators and passengers for all classes of e-bikes to wear protective headgear. California, Ohio and Tennessee require the operator and all passengers of a class three electric bicycle, regardless of age, to wear protective headgear. Arkansas and Utah require operators and passengers of a class three e-bike under age 21 to wear protective headgear. Colorado and Michigan require helmet use for those under age 18 operating or riding on a class three e-bike. Arizona, Idaho, Illinois, Washington and Wyoming’s laws include no helmet requirements for any class of e-bike.
Old 10-28-19, 05:31 PM
thepartsguy
ole skool cyclist

Bikes: Gitane Sprint, Kinesis Touring bike, and 1994 SpecializedStumpJumper M2 FS with DH fork

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Isn't this just about a there being a right to use motorways with a motorized vehicle with some sort of verified ability to do so? Otherwise I could imagine that all suspended-license DWI drivers just go to something called an "e-bike"
I could see the concern for drunks now being on e-bikes because they have had the DL revoked. I'm sure its happening.
Old 10-28-19, 05:57 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by thepartsguy
I could see the concern for drunks now being on e-bikes because they have had the DL revoked. I'm sure its happening.
You don't need a license to get a DUI. Even on a bicycles its still illegal.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 10-28-19, 06:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
You don't need a license to get a DUI. Even on a bicycles its still illegal.
I think the point is that you don't need a license to ride a bike, electric or otherwise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.