Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommend a Campy 8 speed rear derailleur?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 08:26 AM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

I just got a new-to-me wheelset with mid 90's Campy Veloce, 8 speed Exadrive hub. I put a new Campy 13-26 hub on to use with downtube friction shifters. 53-42 Super Record crank. Works very smooth with a Suntour Cyclone with one problem- can't get the lowest gear, the Cyclone can only handle a 7 speed freewheel.

Eventually I'll probably go to 8 speed brifters, so what is a good Campy RD to use? I assume Veloce, how about Centaur, Chorus, Mirage, etc? Is a short cage OK?
Old 03-05-12, 08:35 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
To widen your search, you can use any Campi 8 speed and many of the 9s derailleurs. By 10 speed, the cable pull had changed, and that infects some of the 9s groups as well - so you can't just blindly buy any 9s.

Total chain wrap of (53-42)+(26-13) = 24 teeth can easily be handled by a short cage RD. I've had a 9s Veloce, and a 9s Chorus, and can't say that I could really tell any shifting difference. The Veloce had replaced a Mirage on that bike before it came into my hands. I don't know if that was a comment by the PO on the quality or not, but I did have to replace the FD (Mirage) after it broke.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 03-05-12, 09:34 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
In my limited experience:

8-sp Mirage works, but you'll always wonder if $10 more would have gotten you smoother and lighter.
8-sp Veloce is generally the same price as Mirage, and I like the finish and weight better.
8-sp Athena, to me, shifts the same as 8-sp Chorus and 8-sp Record.

I've run 8-sp Chorus the most, and have never, ever had a problem with any set of 8-sp Ergos.
I've run it with an 8-sp Campy cassette, 8-sp Shimano spaced with Campy spacers, and an 8-sp Shimano cassette.
Not really any problems with any. A little finicky with the full Shimano cassette, as you'd expect.