Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New endurance bike advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 11:26 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts

All, I am in a quandary. I am looking to build / buy a modern endurance bike with disc brakes. I like the Wilier and Argon 18 endurance frame sets. One of the criteria I have is a bit snobbish, I want something you dont see coming and going, every ride you take. Where I started was a Campagnolo build, so that meant putting together a custom build.
Both of the frames I am looking come in 2 flavors, one higher modulus and better cable/hose management, and one lower modulus, an less fancy management. I love the look and idea of full integration on the front end, which mainly requires electronic shifting, since space is limited in there. Each higher version of the frame tends to be about $2000 more than the lower version.
I prefer Campagnolo over Shimano, but there is no way a $4000 group set (SR EPS) and a $4000 frame will fall into my budget. I am not a weight wienie, I ride with a saddle bag, and 2 large water bottles, 2 tail lights and a headlight and computer on all rides. If I want to shed weight, there is 20-25 kilos to lose on my person. so the "better" frame weight and higher modulus isn't really a weight concern.

So here is the dilemma:
High end frame, cheap wheels (for now) and Ultegra DI2 (11 speed, maybe the last generation of 11, so i will be out of date soon). there are also DI2 Ultegra factory builds so I can leverage the corporate buying power of the manufacturer as well.
--------OR--------
Lower spec frame with the WTO 45 wheels I like and Campagnolo Record (12 speed, recently updated).

Weigh in please.
Old 05-18-20, 11:31 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Also, If any one is wondering, I currently ride a "lower spec" Pinarello (2013 FP Quatro, Campagnolo Chorus compact and Bullet wheels) , using the lower modulus CF. I never thought this was below my abilities in any way. FTP used to be about 220, now likely more around 180 due to lack of training. I never felt any flex or issues as far as that is concerned.
Old 05-18-20, 02:29 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
I’m shopping endurance as well but looking at titanium. Not a lot out there so it’s still different and catches the eye. Ribble is launching an “endurance“ model but their geometry isn’t really endurance so moving toward their gravel CGR Ti model with base wheels and ultegra. Base wheels are wider gravel so they’ll make a good 2nd set for some light off-road days. With two sets of wheels, could be my forever bike.
Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 05-18-20, 03:56 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Option number 2 with the better wheels. The difference in ride qualities between the two frames does not equal the ride qualities between the two different wheelsets. In other words you will notice the difference easier with better wheels. I am from the school of thought that says purchase the best wheels you can and the rest of the bike is just an after thought (within reason of course).
Old 05-18-20, 04:13 PM
mgopack42 

I think I decided on the Argon 18 Krypton Pro, which will be a Shimano build, since it comes with pretty high end wheels (HED Vanquish GP V4) It seems to be a good value (?) for the money. I will post when I get my hands on it, and give first impressions! Truth be told, I have become a little disillusioned with Campagnolo in the last few years. The market saturation has been falling here in the states, it is hard to find a decent bike shop for service. Also my wife just got a Specialized Roubaix with hydro 105, so I need to learn the Shimano adjustments, quirks etc. I hope I dont regret the choice in 5 years when the brifters start failing and can't be rebuilt!

Likes For mgopack42:
Old 05-19-20, 01:41 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
The Answer is

BikesDirect ... There bikes ride on a velvet road ...

Seriously you havent said why your buying and where and how you ride?
Old 05-19-20, 06:00 AM
mgopack42 

Oh yeah, the why is I have the money, and i want a new bike. the old bike is a tad large for me, so I want a better fitting bike. also looking for a little smoother ride, disc brakes so i can up size to 28 or 32 tires etc. roads here are tough for sure.
I ride in groups and solo. flat as a pan around here, but i head over to the Sierra foothills east of Fresno to get in the climbing.
Old 05-19-20, 08:22 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Go for the best frame

Is the advice I've always heard. But the challenge is knowing if the more expensive frames are really better for you.

Your comments about rough roads is important. CF can be used to create many different types of frames. i.e. I have a CF Cyclocross frameset that is super stiff and quite harsh. Have you confirmed these frame sets are suitable for your condition.

You also said you wanted something different. How about brushed Titanium. Looks great (and different) and is very compliant.

Originally Posted by mgopack42
Oh yeah, the why is I have the money, and i want a new bike. the old bike is a tad large for me, so I want a better fitting bike. also looking for a little smoother ride, disc brakes so i can up size to 28 or 32 tires etc. roads here are tough for sure.
I ride in groups and solo. flat as a pan around here, but i head over to the Sierra foothills east of Fresno to get in the climbing.
Old 05-19-20, 09:57 AM
mgopack42 

Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
Is the advice I've always heard. But the challenge is knowing if the more expensive frames are really better for you.

Your comments about rough roads is important. CF can be used to create many different types of frames. i.e. I have a CF Cyclocross frameset that is super stiff and quite harsh. Have you confirmed these frame sets are suitable for your condition.

You also said you wanted something different. How about brushed Titanium. Looks great (and different) and is very compliant.
I have landed on CF for my next bike. Ti seems like a step backwards technology wise. The reviews on the Argon 18 are all super. some reviewers gave it very high marks for comfort and rear end compliance. It even won the best road bike of 2020 from GranFondo - cycling. I like what they call the 3D+ system of changing the head tube length by +0, +15 or +30 mm with out adding spacers, so reach and stack can be changed. this system moves the bearings, so the front end gets stiffer with taller adapters, not less stiff like with spacers.
Old 05-20-20, 02:22 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Love my Cervelo C3 Di2 DB. That thing just wants to be ridden all day; Di2 is problem-free to the extreme. Excellent power transfer, good road feel yet smooth, fits up to 32mm tires, and tracks like on rails which is especially appreciated after a few hours of riding. The DT E 1800 wheels are good for endurance use; slightly heavy, loud rear hub, and a bit too much of an engagement angle - but on the whole they ride well. Really nice bike out the door. I even like the bars it came with.