Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

5G transceiver to convey information to nearby vehicles

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 04:03 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/b...fety-cars.html

Quote:
”....outfitted the demo bicycle with a global navigation device to determine its precise location and a 5G transceiver to convey that information to nearby vehicles. The concept envisions a future where everything — literally the internet of things — is online to create smart roads and smart cities. Traffic lights will see cars coming, cars will see pedestrians at intersections, and bicycles will talk to cars.”

Won’t the price of these GPS/5G transponders be an issue? If you can afford one you live, but if you’re poor, you die. Maybe I’m reading between the lines.
Old 10-13-20, 04:48 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
5G won't be in any of the places I want to ride anytime soon.
Old 10-13-20, 09:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Not sure what you are saying? Are all technological advancements for safety supposed to be inexpensive and free from the get go? Many times things take time to get to the point where they are inexpensive and commonplace.

Would it be better to not try out these things?

Face it, as a people we want a pill to purchase, not something that requires effort on our part. People don't like going to drivers education classes. Do you go to a cyclist education class regularly? See, no one wants to admit they might not know something or have anything further to learn. So that's why we are stuck with expensive pills.
Old 10-13-20, 02:01 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/b...fety-cars.html

Quote:
”....outfitted the demo bicycle with a global navigation device to determine its precise location and a 5G transceiver to convey that information to nearby vehicles. The concept envisions a future where everything — literally the internet of things — is online to create smart roads and smart cities. Traffic lights will see cars coming, cars will see pedestrians at intersections, and bicycles will talk to cars.”

Won’t the price of these GPS/5G transponders be an issue? If you can afford one you live, but if you’re poor, you die. Maybe I’m reading between the lines.
The price of these transponders should be carried by the automoble companies.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 10-13-20, 02:03 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Originally Posted by Daniel4
The price of these transponders should be carried by the automoble companies.
My sentiments exactly!
Likes For hotbike:
Old 10-13-20, 02:05 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Iride01
Not sure what you are saying? Are all technological advancements for safety supposed to be inexpensive and free from the get go? Many times things take time to get to the point where they are inexpensive and commonplace.

Would it be better to not try out these things?

Face it, as a people we want a pill to purchase, not something that requires effort on our part. People don't like going to drivers education classes. Do you go to a cyclist education class regularly? See, no one wants to admit they might not know something or have anything further to learn. So that's why we are stuck with expensive pills.
This device is supposed to insure that you won’t be run-over by a self driving car.
Old 10-13-20, 02:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
This device is supposed to insure that you won’t be run-over by a self driving car.
Where did they say that? As I read it it was to link with safety systems in other vehicles. Not just self driving vehicles. However I'm sure the technology partly comes from research into autonomous vehicles.

Personally I'd feel safer with autonomous vehicles. They at least won't get impatient and attitudie when I am in front of them.
Old 10-13-20, 02:34 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Iride01
Where did they say that? As I read it it was to link with safety systems in other vehicles. Not just self driving vehicles. However I'm sure the technology partly comes from research into autonomous vehicles.

Personally I'd feel safer with autonomous vehicles. They at least won't get impatient and attitudie when I am in front of them.
Yes, I’m sure too, that the technology is autonomous vehicle derived ... that’s funny autonomous cars weren’t mentioned. I assumed it was implicit.
I would deduce that the auto companies are aware of the fact that some drivers need more help. Yes, I think drivers should be warned if a bicycle is ahead, just around a blind curve.

I guess I had a preconceived notion that the story was about self driving cars. Wow.Conspicuous by its absence.
Old 10-13-20, 02:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Instead of asking "was she wearing a helmet?" when a bicyclist is splattered all over the road by a pickup, a new victim-blaming retort will replace it: "Did she deploy a 5G transponder?"

Will little kids be expected to have these on them at all times, in case they might ride their bikes without advance notice? Perhaps a sub-cutaneous implant might be the way to go.
Old 10-13-20, 03:08 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by wgscott
Instead of asking "was she wearing a helmet?" when a bicyclist is splattered all over the road by a pickup, a new victim-blaming retort will replace it: "Did she deploy a 5G transponder?"

Will little kids be expected to have these on them at all times, in case they might ride their bikes without advance notice? Perhaps a sub-cutaneous implant might be the way to go.
It’s a whole new realm of controversy. If the kids bike cost $69.98, and the transponder is $200.00 , how are the parents going to afford it? And the kid is out riding his bicycle while the parents are in bed making more babies...

Maybe there will be an app for the cyclists phone?

Rampant speculation, it might become obsolete before 5% of cyclists start using them.

I hope the darn things are provided for free, not that I wouldn’t be against paying for one, but I have five bikes that see regular use. And I’m also an entrepreneur, creating a fairing/pannier system with LED lights, and I would be negligent if I released one to the public without the transponder. At least I should be able to get the module or printed circuit board at wholesale price.
I’m not convinced it’s an absolute necessity, with LED lights and roadside vegetation management to improve line-of-sight.
But with what I’m doing, which is only in the prototype stage at this point, even if it never sees market, I need those modules for my bikes. Only a few weeks ago I got my first shipment of LED lights factory direct from China. I will scan Wish and AliExpress for the modules, I think there’s a

Human Powered Vehicle , or Electric Bike Concept
of 64 sensors for Arduino for $8.00 if you look.

Im picturing a human powered vehicle with a complete electronics suite:

Photo didn’t insert itself correctly. But how can I unleash this fairing/pannier system, with LED lights, on the public, without the 5G transponder?
Likes For hotbike: