Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 10:03 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by smallfrontwheel
Hey Lattz, I was wondering if you knew anything more about this bike below since you commented on it earlier. If you have any magical resources to find out or information to give us that would be most appreciated. I find it to be a truly stellar and unique bike in many respects and a true beauty. I would love to have one obviouisly. If anyone out there in the forum knows anything or happens to have one please let us know. Thank you in advance.

Well, I would not call it "knowledge", but it looks like you missed your chance ~2 years ago, at least what I know about it. So the full name is Rossin Advance Crono Record Graphite, and besides a broken link to an ebay site on a full bike and thanks to German fans for re-sharing the pics from an Italian classified on their forums of a frame offered for sale in 2018.
Odd that both are green, not this ice blue. And the full bike despite being green sports a rare version of Gipiemme Tecno 935s but in this ice blue, so not your fav FIR's. It is a nice bike, awesome actually.

Anyway as said earlier, I have a week, when we talk about a bike here or I see something I havent seen before, and it pops up a few days later, on top I have a motto "when you desperately search for something but don't find it, just start to search desperately for something else. Then you won't find that one, but you will come across what you were looking for before."

Rossin basically built the Cinelli Laser Mia 20 years before Cinelli did it.
(Sidenote on the rare ocasions I see those Tecnos they are in this color, so maybe they were made for this as well).

Talking about those FIRs, the Performance EL crono had them in the catalog as well, so I assume they must be from the same time.

Last edited by Lattz; 10-20-20 at 02:35 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-20-20, 02:49 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Thought I would post this little tidbit:

This bicycle is obviously classic and iconic. It is also so delicious looking that I feel compelled to add some Italian culinary art in celebration that hopefully matches the exquisite color:
That's a nice and clean one (yeah, most track bikes are) and whoever restored it should be locked up in my cellar for a while. It's odd, while I prefer red bikes, and usually don't like gold/champagne (call it as you want) colored ones, this one I prefer over its red sibling I posted a while ago, and (maybe) not only because that had gold plated stuff...

Last edited by Lattz; 10-20-20 at 04:25 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-20-20, 03:09 PM
Lattz

Maybe by now it's not a secret that I'm a Somec fanboy (among others) as well, so every now and then they slip into my posts until someone shouts booring...
This one was for sale a few months ago in The Netherlands. Not their top model with the Cromor frame (which is heavy as lead according to friend owning the road version), but the Mavic Starfish crank and the Zap derailleur are unusual and interesting touches. I'm personally in love with those CLB brake levers but they don't fit this bike. So I have mixed feelings, but obviously I would not get offended it someone would throw it at me on the street.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-20-20, 03:21 PM
Lattz

I think, those who remember this....

and this......

definitely need to see this.....

...for the rest, still might be interesting.

I think this Cicli Berlinetta lady would deserve a chapter in cycling history books. She and CB really did a great job to make the sport/hobby/collectors' items more popular even for non-believers.

Last edited by Lattz; 10-20-20 at 03:34 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-21-20, 04:40 PM
Lattz

Quite simply put Lattz....'Your the Professor!" You always seem to pull the rabbit out of the hat with really hard to find info on ultra rare bikes. Major kudos. Maybe all the secret documents are in that Illuminate Bianchi Compound that you posted earlier. Anyway thanks for sharing from your secret files. Much appreciated.

And since I prefer to post with a new pic here is this tidbit....

Red, Italian, and has a Delta brake.... sounds like Luciano has made this one for me.... Paletti is no s......
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-21-20, 04:44 PM
Lattz

And come cool racing pics from the Land of the Rising Sun.....
Besides these keirin bikes are timeless masterpieces I really like the cult around the thing. As they religiously stick to these steel frames, and as the riders are dressed as jockeys, it has all the class of horse racing minus the horses. I find it cool.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-22-20, 05:12 PM
Lattz

Yeah the Japanese track bikes are cool and they have that classic steel look. And as far as the Japanese Keirin tradition I agree. They bring the devotion to excellence that is part of the culture of Japan. The discipline of these cyclists is incredible and the training tough and extensive. They live at the training centers and devote themselves totally to the racing. And they elevate the sport to an art form. It reminds me of the Samurai culture, they are like cyclist warriors imo. So in appreciation of the coolness of Keirin here is a post:
Looking at those pics it's interesting that DA track hubs are still available for sale at all, and Shimano not directly delivers the whole production to these guys.

I remember seeing three videos long ago when I just started cycling and didn't even know (not that I was interested) that Keirin exists. Initially just laughed thinking yeah these Japanese are doing cycling in their strange Japanese way, but this turned into shock and then some kind of admiration or respect. Basically its the so called typical Japanese perfection. Although not a lot more knowledgeable about it today either besides seeing plenty of nice bikes over the years, these videos (especially the first) just burned into our brain with friend.

If anyone interested I think they well worth to spend the 26 mins total.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-22-20, 10:45 PM
Lattz

This make is hardly ever seen. I have only seen a couple....if anyone knows clue us in .
smallfrontwheel , I had vague memories, that back a while ago when I made a failed attempt educate myself a bit on Japanese bikes, I have seen and saved images of a few unusual Möbius bikes as well. Seeing your post I thought why not dig a bit into it again for info as so far it stuck on the "sometime I'll check it" list with plenty of other brands. So here's what I've found. The builder behind Möbius was Shuichi Kurita (retied in 2017), who is considered a legendary frame builder in the Japanese bike scene. Most likely Möbius is a "father to son" Brand, as the decals read Möbius - Kurita cycles founded in 1914.

"...During the 10 years of competition history, he won the club in the All Japan Business Team Championship (sprint), won the club / individual prize in the East Japan Business Team Championship Road event, and won the All Japan Club Championship (2000m speed competition).
After retiring as a player, as a frame builder, devoted himself to making custom-made cars under the "Mevius" brand, which focused on "individual differences".During that time, as a domestic mechanic of the Japan Amateur Competition Strengthening Committee, he was involved in the production of equipment used for international games such as the world championships and the Olympics, and played a role in the Los Angeles Olympics, which won Japan's first bronze medal in the sprint event.
Received the "Expert Award" at The Builder Grand Prix in 1996.
Mobius of Shuichi Kurita and Cycloune (3RENSHO) of Yoshi Konno are "beautiful" bicycles by the skill and sense of the two great masters who became legendary at the end of the 20th century when Japanese handmade bicycles were in prosperity 2017 Until July 17, 2014, a special exhibition was being held at the "Bicycle Museum" in Daisen Park, Sakai City, Osaka Prefecture."
Here are the pics of the mentioned exhibition ("Beautiful Bicycles Pursued by Masters" held at the Bicycle Museum Cycle Center , which is run by Shimano ). Kurita's frames were represented as "Bicycle with curved beauty", while the 3RENSHO's as "Bicycle with functional beauty in pursuit of speed".

I guess there is no question about creativity and talent...

Last edited by Lattz; 10-24-20 at 09:54 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-22-20, 10:54 PM
Lattz

PART2
He really seems to be an all-rounder builder, as there are pictures of a few road and touring frames as well.
But I guess beside building "normal bicycles" in perfect quality (and surprisingly often with Columbus tubes and Campagnolo parts as well) he excelled as a visionary, or sculptor expressing himself with bikes, as seen above or here:

Oh and the Brand is NJS certified.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-22-20, 11:01 PM
Lattz

One last Japanese machine to kill off the day... it definitely came a long way to get in such a shape...
This is wonderful, even smashed up (unlike the pic quality, but I guess the bike is a good excuse here)

Last edited by Lattz; 10-24-20 at 09:55 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-23-20, 02:02 AM
Lattz

Fantastic detective work on the Mobius Lattz.....Pretty soon you are going to be assigned to Scotland Yard if you keep it up. Very interesting stuff for sure and unique bikes this frame master concocted. The history is fascinating for sure. I confer the degree of Doctor of Bike Knowledge on you from the University of Arcane Facts. You must be using the Bianchi Illuminati Search Engine. Your secret is safe with us though.

So in your honor:

I have seen many nice pictures of Bianchi lo pros but this one is just special. The black and celeste color go so well together here and it gives it a unique classy look. And that celeste color rear disc wheel is very rare and special. Try to find one for sale....good luck. It help makes the bike look fantastic. The word "luxurious" comes to mind when looking at this classic Italian racing machine. The great Fignon used a Bianchi lo pro at one point. I love this thing.

This bike has Lattz written all over it. Notice the unique rear disc wheel graphic writing. And the beautiful bullhorns with full rounded curve. This thing looks like it is ready to pounce. The great red paint and gold bar tape match well.

The texture of the carbon on this disc wheel looks amazing.
Wow thanks!!!
It's plenty of fun to learn about the history of these (for me) lesser known bike artist, but also somehow dangerous, just as Gandalf tells Frodo in the Lord of the Rings: “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
While chasing knowledge on a certain bike or brand or pretty much anything, I encounter many other "might be interesting things" so if I don't keep my mouse, I immediately end up chasing hundreds of new secrets to unfold etc..etc..

Funny that you posted these two bikes, I wanted to add after the red 3Rensho, that next one will be Italian as after all I should be the Italian bike fan or what (not to the extreme like I was before).
I actually got "the plague" of cycling of a Bianchi in the same Celeste (but no lo pro and not Argentin black) color, even the decals matched. One of the cycling world's greatest candy shop, Epicycle had one like this (with a modest 8k-ish price tag) a few years ago but despite their bikes are always pristine, this tops even that I guess, just by the Celeste Ambrosio, theirs had silver pfff how mainstream

And the red Basso, its just wow... this is how a proper red Italian bike looks like. I afraid none of them will join the Lattz Collection in the next decades, but let's see... hope dies last as we say.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-23-20, 02:10 AM
Lattz

If someoene feels the urge to get rid of USD 2k quickly go no further than this...time is running.. (I'm not associated in any way)

Last edited by Lattz; 10-23-20 at 02:15 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-23-20, 08:25 AM
Lattz

After the wonderful blue from smallfrontwheel earlier, today is 'nago day by me. I don't recall ever seeing a "Master Progress"..also this paint scheme is not familiar, but I like it.
It is a pity the quality of the pic is not upto the quality of the bike.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-23-20, 08:27 AM
Lattz

And why not one more to survive the weekend, this goes well with the one by smallfrontwheel . Now off to find a red one, and I guess there should be more. If FIR made the "killing system" I guess this Assos rw is the killinger one. Must be rare...

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-23-20, 08:44 AM
Lattz

Did I say its "nago day?

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-24-20, 03:49 PM
Lattz

***CORRECTION***
I was informed by a friend over here (hey, thanks again!) that - while people most likely understand that I'm not meaning to offend anybody - using the word "Jap" is derogatory for many. Whether or not anybody felt offended by my posts I would like to apologize for not considering this, and ensure that I do not mean to be disrespectful. I have corrected all three posts with the improper word choice.

While for many this post might sound like a "why waste word on such a thing", in my book this is more important, than the pictures in those posts. Media corrections in the internet age are usually forced out by lawyers, but I have no problem with apologizing for my mistakes.
All the Best, Lattz
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-24-20, 03:53 PM
Lattz

An assos disc wheel. Very cool. Never seen it and yes it is rare. Try to find one. Love the full curve bullhorns too. So many of the vintage bullhorns that show up now for sale do not have the full curve I like. All the Colnagos you just posted are nice and some killer. I love Colnago TT bikes so I am biased. Wait a minute! No I am not....they are fine machines truth be told. I like those other flat style handlebars too with the cross check handlebar tape.

And since I hate to post without a new picture:

I need these wheels for my lo pro. Anybody see any for sale or have any to sell? They are KILLER! I like that lumbar saddle concoction but not willing to spend the price. Some people hate it and I can see their point too. To me it is cool though.
Of course they are killer. Are you only interested in the 3/5 spoke layout and only in red? Or are other colors / spoke variations to be considered as well? While it is really ambitious to put your hands on a pair (in any color/spoke no) these days, never say never.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-24-20, 03:58 PM
Lattz

Some things just look good in red says Kate Bush.
While I'm not really familiar with Kate Bush (or her songs), she is right about the red things! Would this Paletti has 2 brakes (I know, it would be a blasphemy, not a pista anymore) it would make a good base for a "Dear Santa..." letter here in Germany, until then still a nice eye candy.

Last edited by Lattz; 10-24-20 at 04:04 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-24-20, 07:08 PM
Lattz

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-24-20, 07:09 PM
Lattz

Old 10-24-20, 07:11 PM
Lattz

Can't decide if this must be fun to ride or scary....

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-24-20, 09:06 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Fantastic detective work on the Mobius Lattz.....Pretty soon you are going to be assigned to Scotland Yard if you keep it up. Very interesting stuff for sure and unique bikes this frame master concocted. The history is fascinating for sure. I confer the degree of Doctor of Bike Knowledge on you from the University of Arcane Facts. You must be using the Bianchi Illuminati Search Engine. Your secret is safe with us though.

So in your honor:

I have seen many nice pictures of Bianchi lo pros but this one is just special. The black and celeste color go so well together here and it gives it a unique classy look. And that celeste color rear disc wheel is very rare and special. Try to find one for sale....good luck. It help makes the bike look fantastic. The word "luxurious" comes to mind when looking at this classic Italian racing machine. The great Fignon used a Bianchi lo pro at one point. I love this thing.

This bike has Lattz written all over it. Notice the unique rear disc wheel graphic writing. And the beautiful bullhorns with full rounded curve. This thing looks like it is ready to pounce. The great red paint and gold bar tape match well.

The texture of the carbon on this disc wheel looks amazing.
Ive seen 2 of those Ambrosio Celeste rear wheels for sale this year between $1-2K. Recently one here in SoCal but i dont think they are worth that price IMO. Half that price if consider buying one.
Old 10-24-20, 09:13 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
I like this one but hate the way the brake levers are mounted
It’s better for the aero brake cable routing though. If you try to rout the cable the conventional way it’s a sharp bend.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 10-24-20, 09:35 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Let me know your sources because you sure as hell must have good ones. If I had the right color bike I would snap one of those up in a heartbeat....at the price you are referring to.
Not really sources just happened to pop up during in SoCal from a guy that is currently selling his TT collection.

The other one popped up on ebay earlier this year. If I find screenshots ill post them.

Seller reposted it.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/AMBROSIO-LOG...-/114253930001
Likes For malcala622:
Old 10-25-20, 09:31 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
SFW,
If I found a wheel, I wouldn't be too concerned about finding the right colored wheel, just the right vintage one....any good body shop can color match and a good sign maker can either stencil or make a decal that is identical to the original.
BTW what type of wheel is running on the front....I see spokes, is it a cover or did some discs come with spokes? I have seen the clear ones but never any with a fiber/translucent cover on them.
Best, Ben
Still stalled on my Bertoni

Last edited by xiaoman1; 10-25-20 at 10:55 AM.
Likes For xiaoman1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.