Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

new cone/axle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

new cone/axle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 08:30 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
new cone/axle?

Was overhauling my road bike's rear hub today. Noticed pitting on one of the cones (the one "stuck" to the axel non drive side). I tried to polish it out with polishing compound with no luck. Can this part be replaced or should I just buy the axel/quick release assembly? This is a 10 speed cassette on it.

I went to my LBS and they had everything but this part size. When I go online to look for the part it seems the axel assembly is the most common part available.

If I replace the cone, should I replace the bearings too? They look great.
Old 10-18-20, 08:40 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
My crystal ball is currently broken. What brand/model hub is this? Since you haven't mentioned any details that might help...
Old 10-18-20, 09:07 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by cxwrench
My crystal ball is currently broken. What brand/model hub is this? Since you haven't mentioned any details that might help...
DOH!
oops. It is a rear wheel from a Specialized Roubaix. The cassette is a Shimano 105 10 speed. The hub and freehub are from Specialized, I have no other info on them. They are 28hole and have 288mm spokes going to Mavic Open Pro rims.
Old 10-18-20, 09:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,858 Times in 2,306 Posts
Axles usually don't require replacement when the cone is the problem. Sometimes when the replacement cone is only available within an axle set the axle (and other cone) do get replaced too. If the cone is pitted then do replace the balls too.

Your LBs sounds like they are pretty well stocked. Do understand that there are dozens of cone specs and not all are easily available at any one time.

I would make sure the rest of the system (drop outs, axle, preload adjustment) are in order to reduce the next cone from also pitting.

Question- How old is this hub and when was it last overhauled? Andy
Old 10-18-20, 10:17 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Axles usually don't require replacement when the cone is the problem. Sometimes when the replacement cone is only available within an axle set the axle (and other cone) do get replaced too. If the cone is pitted then do replace the balls too.

Your LBs sounds like they are pretty well stocked. Do understand that there are dozens of cone specs and not all are easily available at any one time.

I would make sure the rest of the system (drop outs, axle, preload adjustment) are in order to reduce the next cone from also pitting.

Question- How old is this hub and when was it last overhauled? Andy
I don’t have a whole lot of miles (maybe 5k) but it is a 13 year old hub. I serviced it once or twice before. Last time was last year