Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old MTB Upgrade

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old MTB Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 05:40 PM
hisho

Bikes: Raleigh Resonator MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old MTB Upgrade

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, and I am a total beginner when it comes to bikes. My father and I are considering upgrading his old Apollo Laser Bike with 26" wheels (it hasn't been used for over 15 years). It has a 5x2 setup, I'm assuming it is a freewheel. We were considering upgrading it to a 1x10 setup but I am not sure if this is possible. I have measured the rear frame which comes up at 130mm, but looking at all the new wheels on eBay, they state that the rear hub is 135mm.

Are we not being realistic when it comes to upgrading this bike, or should we just purchase a 7-speed freewheel, I am not sure if this will even fit?

Thank you for your help!

Hisho

Last edited by hisho; 10-22-20 at 05:46 PM. Reason: forgot wheel size
Likes For hisho:
Old 10-22-20, 06:22 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 603 Posts
From the pics I could find on Google the Laser appears to be a pretty low end bike with 1 Pc. Ashtabula cranks and steel wheels. I'd just make the Laser functional the way it is and ride it or sell it and look for something else. This is from a guy who's put lipstick on a lot of pigs in his day.
Old 10-22-20, 06:35 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Not really being realistic. Most every 10 speed wheel will be quick release and your bike requires a bolt on wheel to keep the rear der attached, you can find a bolt on hub but they're rare. The rear der will require an adapter bracket to fit a rear der. You can fit a new crank to it but ultimately you're replacing a lot of parts for a lot end bike.
Old 10-22-20, 06:48 PM
hisho

Bikes: Raleigh Resonator MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you Russ Roth and Murray Missile for your replies. The only reason why we have considered this is because the gear shifter has been broken off and the gear cable has been snapped. I guess it would just be cheaper to just to buy a 5-speed gear shifter and connect it up.

Can we install drop handlebars on this bike? I understand it may mess the geometries up?

I can't upload pictures or a link unless I have 10 posts, so apologies.
Old 10-22-20, 09:14 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
OP's gallery with the bike photos
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/528709

I'd vote for just replacing the shifter and making the bike rideable as is. Not worth messing with a drop bar conversion on this bike.
Likes For katsup:
Old 10-23-20, 05:09 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Not really being realistic. Most every 10 speed wheel will be quick release and your bike requires a bolt on wheel to keep the rear der attached, you can find a bolt on hub but they're rare. The rear der will require an adapter bracket to fit a rear der. You can fit a new crank to it but ultimately you're replacing a lot of parts for a lot end bike.
Millions of bikes use quick releases with stamped dropouts and claw mount derailleur hangers. The hanger is held in position by a small bolt, either or through an axle spacer in the dropout or a hole in the dropout. Claw mount hangers are widely available to mount a bolt on RD. But yeah, regardless, the bike isn't worth the expense.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 10-23-20, 05:52 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Walk away from upgrades here.
Likes For clubman:
Old 10-23-20, 06:59 AM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Walk away from upgrades here.
Agreed. Not sure what the market looks like for old MTBs in your area, but it's hard to go much lower in quality (brakes, frame, crankset, etc). It's throwing good money after bad, I'm afraid. Only the most nostalgic of attachments to the bike could make an upgrade worthwhile.
Likes For bear_a_bug:
Old 10-23-20, 09:29 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by hisho
Can we install drop handlebars on this bike? I understand it may mess the geometries up?

Drop handlebars will require new brake levers, probably a new stem along with suitable shifters, could easily exceed the value of the bike. Going to 10 speeds in back will probably require a custom built wheel along with a new rear derailleur. A 7 speed freewheel will require respacing the rear axle. Looking at the flimsy side pull brakes on this bike, this was a very low end department store bike when new, not worth any sort of upgrade, Replace the rear shifter and ride it as is
Likes For alcjphil: