Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim width question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rim width question

Old 10-23-20, 02:20 AM
crn3371

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Rim width question

I’m in the market for a wheel upgrade and the wheels I’m looking at are slightly wider then what’s currently on the bike. The bike has side pull caliper brakes and the new rims would be 3mm wider than the stock wheels. I’ll transfer over the tires since they’re new. Is it safe to assume that with only a 3mm increase in width that I can adjust the brakes to fit? Thanks.
Old 10-23-20, 06:18 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Yes you should be able to adjust your brakes to fit
Old 10-23-20, 06:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Generally yes, a 3mm added width should be no issue. BUT if your rims are already at the caliper's limit then even 3mm will be a problem. This we can't say as we don't know enough yet or we are not there.

I will add that this is an issue for those who have calipers that were designed around the 23mm tire/20-22mm rim (outer) widths that were so common just 5+ years ago. People want to get fashionable by replacing their wheels with the current wider ones and are finding their calipers no longer have enough travel to allow the QR to fully function. Just one more "cost" of having been in fashion those 5+ years ago Andy
Old 10-23-20, 08:51 AM
crn3371

Current rims are 19mm wide and I’m looking at something in the 22mm wide range. It appears that the trend is for increasingly wider wheels as many of the wheels I’ve looked at are 25mm and wider.
Old 10-23-20, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by crn3371
Current rims are 19mm wide and I’m looking at something in the 22mm wide range. It appears that the trend is for increasingly wider wheels as many of the wheels I’ve looked at are 25mm and wider.
Don't confuse wider rims with wider tires. Rims don't have to change just because you desire a wider tire. I'm assuming a lot here though. You haven't exactly said why you need a wider rim. Maybe you do.

Rims can handle much wider tires typically than what came on them originally. Don't know what your bike is, but for most road bikes, the rim is likely more that wide enough to safely fit the widest tire that also can fit in that frame. For other type bike.... I can't say.

edit.... yes I should have refreshed my memory with the original post before replying. Instead I focused only on the OP's reply to another and forgot that there was a reason given.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-23-20 at 09:19 AM. Reason: being humbled by my own realizations.
Old 10-23-20, 09:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
I’m in the market for a wheel upgrade and the wheels I’m looking at are slightly wider then what’s currently on the bike. The bike has side pull caliper brakes and the new rims would be 3mm wider than the stock wheels. I’ll transfer over the tires since they’re new. Is it safe to assume that with only a 3mm increase in width that I can adjust the brakes to fit? Thanks.
The limiting factor on my old-school carbon road bike is not the brakes. They pretty much always have a fair amount of tolerance to handle wider rims. The issue for me is the chainstay clearance, where I am right at the limit for a 25mm tire using a 19.5mm wide rim. My experience is the tire's width increases as the rim width increases, so I cannot go to a 23mm wide rim, as the tire then ends up closer to 28mm and that becomes a squeeze.
Old 10-23-20, 09:41 AM
crn3371

I’m looking to upgrade my wheelset, so the possibility of having a wider rim. Tires will stay the same as I’ll transfer them over to the new wheelset.
Old 10-23-20, 10:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
I don’t know where you live or how familiar you are with the metric system but people seem to be confused about how big a millimeter is. It’s a whole number and people seem to think that whole numbers are “larger” than fractions but they aren’t always. For comparison, 3 mm is about the thickness of a US nickel. It’s the thickness of 30 sheets of paper. It’s the thickness of a typical butter knife. For bicycle comparisons, it’s about the diameter of a headset bearing (1/8”). It’s twice the size of a brake cable and 3 times the size (about) of shifter cable. The plates on a chain are 1mm.

Basically, 1mm is tiny. 3mm is 3 times that but still very small. You shouldn’t have any issues adjusting your brakes to the proper width.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-23-20, 10:27 AM
crn3371

Thanks Stuart, that’s what I figured.
Old 10-23-20, 04:57 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
My only concern if you are going to mount a 25mm tire on a rim with a 22/23mm internal width if the rim is too wide for the tire.

Most charts show a rim closer to your 19mm as the maximum width.

John
Old 10-23-20, 05:49 PM
crn3371

I’m strictly referring to external rim width and brake clearance. Got it figured out. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 10-23-20, 07:40 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
should be no problem - I did pretty much the same a few months ago - went from Rolf Vector Pros (14-15 mm internal) to Campag Zondas (17mm internal) with Campag Chorus calipers. I loosened the brake cables and reset them for the new rim width - took a couple of minutes
Old 10-24-20, 01:19 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
should be no problem - I did pretty much the same a few months ago - went from Rolf Vector Pros (14-15 mm internal) to Campag Zondas (17mm internal) with Campag Chorus calipers. I loosened the brake cables and reset them for the new rim width - took a couple of minutes
I went more extreme - on a '06 Pinarello Paris from neutron Ultras (C15) to Hed Ardennes+ (C21). The issue, as has been mentioned, isnt the calipers but the tire clearance to the frame (and/or fork). Schwalbe Ones at 25mm end up measuring 28mm on the Heds.

The other thing to consider is that if you need to switch to another set of wheels (such as, you go to take the bike out and discover a flat) you can't without first re-adjusting the brakes.

Last edited by CyclingFool95; 11-03-20 at 04:47 PM.