Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Weird Astablula crank problem

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-23-20, 08:02 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts

I have a cruiser that when the cranks are cranked backwards they feel tight; however, they spin fine in the forward direction. Is this normal for Ashtabula cranks? What should I be looking at so that the crank spins freely in either direction?

Thanks
Old 10-23-20, 08:14 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,671 Posts
I'd begin by determining whether the problem is in the bottom bracket or elsewhere.

Drop the chain off the chainring. If the problem goes away, investigate the rear hub next.

If the problem persists, disassemble the bottom bracket (look for YouTube videos for guidance) and look for problems there (scored bearing races, damaged or missing bearings or bearing retainers).
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-23-20, 08:14 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Do you plan to spend a lot of time turning your cranks backwards for some reason? Never Fix A Running Piece.
Old 10-23-20, 08:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 3,299 Posts
Yeah, drop the chain. It's been so long since I've seen a one-piece crank I can't remember how the adjustments work on them. Watch the stuff on the left side of the crank as you turn it in one direction then the other. Make certain the left cone under the lock nut is always moving the same as everything else. If it is in the crank and it's not because it is rusted up, falling apart inside and jamming itself, then a loose lock nut allowing the cone race to turn is probably about all it can be.

Just to be snarky.... it's not a coaster brake bike is it?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-23-20, 09:23 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Just to be snarky.... it's not a coaster brake bike is it?
That was my first thought, Ashtabula & Cruiser. Though the OP has been around since 2007 so I figured he would know...
Old 10-23-20, 03:26 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

It's my '80s Schwinn cruiser.
Old 10-23-20, 03:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
It's my '80s Schwinn cruiser.
Aren't those coaster brake bikes?

Were you trying to yank our chains or is there really something going on?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-23-20, 04:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
I have a cruiser that when the cranks are cranked backwards they feel tight; however, they spin fine in the forward direction. Is this normal for Ashtabula cranks? What should I be looking at so that the crank spins freely in either direction?

Thanks
Coaster brake?
Old 10-24-20, 06:07 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
What markings are on the rear hub?
Old 10-24-20, 10:18 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
I find it rather unhelpful when a poster states the bike brand/model with either no link to specs of no listing of specs, especially in this OP's case when he has been asked directly about a spec. Andy (who feels it's the asker's job to provide data on their bike, not the reader's job to search the data out)
Old 10-24-20, 10:28 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I began to suspect coaster brake at the mention of single piece crank.
Old 10-24-20, 11:28 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
Pic assist...

Check the alignment on your derailleur.
Old 10-24-20, 11:38 AM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm going to regret making a guess without seeing a pic, but here goes. Maybe one of the bearing cones is loose and it's threading in and out upon being rotated. In any event an Ashtabula crank is so easy to service that it shouldn't be feared. Park Tool website has a good tutorial.
Old 10-26-20, 10:05 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm going to regret making a guess without seeing a pic, but here goes. Maybe one of the bearing cones is loose and it's threading in and out upon being rotated. In any event an Ashtabula crank is so easy to service that it shouldn't be feared. Park Tool website has a good tutorial.
Agreed. The cone and locknut on the left side of an Ashtabula crank are left-hand threaded. If the locknut is loose and the bearings have a bunch of drag they could tighten up when spun backwards.

If it were my bike I'd take the crank apart and clean and regrease the bearings at very least.

Pointer to the Park Tool article: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...vice-one-piece Kudos to Park Tool for using a Schwinn Super Sport as their example over a common-as-cockroaches Varsity.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-27-20, 06:29 AM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Agreed. The cone and locknut on the left side of an Ashtabula crank are left-hand threaded. If the locknut is loose and the bearings have a bunch of drag they could tighten up when spun backwards.

If it were my bike I'd take the crank apart and clean and regrease the bearings at very least.

Pointer to the Park Tool article: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...vice-one-piece Kudos to Park Tool for using a Schwinn Super Sport as their example over a common-as-cockroaches Varsity.
That's a great tutorial. I like the fact that they tell you not to expect a perfect bearing. My only minor quibble is that you don't need that big pin spanner, as the cup will usually yield to being pushed with a screwdriver. We always rebuilt our cranks with just a crescent wrench.

My winter beater is a '72 Varsity, but I appreciate the sentiment. I got the frame from a flipper who had too many frames, and it was quite worn and weathered, but the bearings are still in great shape.
Old 10-27-20, 08:55 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
That's a great tutorial. I like the fact that they tell you not to expect a perfect bearing. My only minor quibble is that you don't need that big pin spanner, as the cup will usually yield to being pushed with a screwdriver. We always rebuilt our cranks with just a crescent wrench.

My winter beater is a '72 Varsity, but I appreciate the sentiment. I got the frame from a flipper who had too many frames, and it was quite worn and weathered, but the bearings are still in great shape.
Three things will survive a nuclear apocalypse: Twinkies, Keith Richards, and the Schwinn Varsity. Ain't that a visual...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 10-30-20 at 11:07 PM.
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 10-29-20, 12:33 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Originally Posted by Iride01
Aren't those coaster brake bikes?

Were you trying to yank our chains or is there really something going on?
No this was originally a 5 speed and I wouldn't yank anyone's chain. I did sort of figure part of it out. The drive side bearings had shed themselves into the bottom bracket shell. When the cranks backpedaled it allowed the adjusters to tighten up.
Old 10-29-20, 07:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

No this was originally a 5 speed and I wouldn't yank anyone's chain. I did sort of figure part of it out. The drive side bearings had shed themselves into the bottom bracket shell. When the cranks backpedaled it allowed the adjusters to tighten up.
I didn't really expect that you were yanking our chains. It just seemed you were distracted from the conversation you started and not addressing questions or suggestions. I thought that might act as a slap to make you pay attention. I failed.

Glad you got it figured out.