Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 12-08-20, 02:27 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Looking good, keep it going.
I had a line on one, then pandemic hit. I was barely smart enough to hold on to my money and not buy one of those beautiful Turbos. Good thing too. I now have only 4 students we've (wife and I) decided to allow to work out with us. My beautiful and strong wife has being paying the bills. Ive been able to contribute a little with money I've made through students tuition, bike repair, and a couple of music gigs. Still, I'm thankful and more fortunate than some. Actually I'm the luckiest guy I know.
​​​​

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-08-20 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-09-20, 07:48 PM
texaspandj

Here's 1 out 5 of my favorite Ironman. It's currently assigned to indoor duty. Not because it's too cold to ride but rather because it's too dark by the time I'm able to get outside and Ride.
Although my daughter is finally old enough to be in school, she's in remote classes. So I have to wait til my wife gets home before I can ride outside and by that time it'll be dark soon. So indoors I ride.
Old 12-12-20, 12:04 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 144 Posts
This one is a woodwork find, mostly original except for seat and mismatched wheels, 7 speed 105 spec.
Old 12-12-20, 03:17 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Here's 1 out 5 of my favorite Ironman. It's currently assigned to indoor duty. Not because it's too cold to ride but rather because it's too dark by the time I'm able to get outside and Ride.
Although my daughter is finally old enough to be in school, she's in remote classes. So I have to wait til my wife gets home before I can ride outside and by that time it'll be dark soon. So indoors I ride.
Good setup. I've been thinking about putting some clip on on the MV. Just because. No particular reasons.

Last edited by seypat; 12-12-20 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-12-20, 03:17 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by vtwinvince
this one is a woodwork find, mostly original except for seat and mismatched wheels, 7 speed 105 spec.
Noice!
Old 12-12-20, 08:13 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
This one is a woodwork find, mostly original except for seat and mismatched wheels, 7 speed 105 spec.
I've been after a clean 54cm MV for years.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 12-13-20, 12:14 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 144 Posts
Too bad you're not closer, as it is going on the block due to size. Condition is very nice, with only a couple of larger paint chips near the head tube.
Old 12-13-20, 02:07 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Too bad you're not closer, as it is going on the block due to size. Condition is very nice, with only a couple of larger paint chips near the head tube.
Where are you? Ironman Nation can make this happen for "Top."
Old 12-15-20, 10:22 AM
texaspandj

Those MV in that size (54cm) are hard to come by.
That's my size, fortunately I already have one. Actually 4 of my Ironman are 54cm and 1 is a 52cm. I'm only 5'7' (as last measured) and the stock stems are perfect, but using the relatively short Shimano aero post, I have to max it out.

As far as using my 52cm, I have an Italian stem which resembles the original stem and it's a tiny bit longer. Also I have an '86 post I'm using that allows me to get required height.

Unfortunately, I've ridden my '85 only once. It's built as a road bike (Not tri bike) and when riding by myself I prefer my Ironman with aero bars. If I ride with others I use my Ironman with reg road bars. Lately my biking Buddy just wants to ride mountain bikes together. However this weekend he's not able to ride and weather permitting, I plan on riding the '85. I'm really looking forward to it.
My workouts have been going well. My current workout schedule is Mon-Thur 30 min treadmill running, 30 min bike trainer. Fri OFF. Sat run outside, Sun ride outside. Along with that I'm working out with my class M and W, and lifting weights T and Th. My goal is to lose regular winter weight that I gained in the summer .
How bout y'all?

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-15-20 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-15-20, 10:50 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Is there a marketplace sub-forum here or elsewhere for Ironmans? Mine has developed a crack and other problems so I need to find a frame.
Old 12-15-20, 11:09 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by johnlink
Is there a marketplace sub-forum here or elsewhere for Ironmans? Mine has developed a crack and other problems so I need to find a frame.
Found it!

https://www.bikeforums.net/market-place/
Old 12-15-20, 04:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Gas up the 'vee, Top, and we'll make a border run.
Old 12-15-20, 06:26 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 279 Posts
Long-ass haul from this border. About as far as you can get and keep your boots dry.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 12-15-20, 07:44 PM
seypat

I must have missed it. Where is this bike located?
Old 12-15-20, 08:24 PM
seypat

Those MV in that size (54cm) are hard to come by.
That's my size, fortunately I already have one. Actually 4 of my Ironman are 54cm and 1 is a 52cm. I'm only 5'7' (as last measured) and the stock stems are perfect, but using the relatively short Shimano aero post, I have to max it out.

As far as using my 52cm, I have an Italian stem which resembles the original stem and it's a tiny bit longer. Also I have an '86 post I'm using that allows me to get required height.

Unfortunately, I've ridden my '85 only once. It's built as a road bike (Not tri bike) and when riding by myself I prefer my Ironman with aero bars. If I ride with others I use my Ironman with reg road bars. Lately my biking Buddy just wants to ride mountain bikes together. However this weekend he's not able to ride and weather permitting, I plan on riding the '85. I'm really looking forward to it.
My workouts have been going well. My current workout schedule is Mon-Thur 30 min treadmill running, 30 min bike trainer. Fri OFF. Sat run outside, Sun ride outside. Along with that I'm working out with my class M and W, and lifting weights T and Th. My goal is to lose regular winter weight that I gained in the summer .
How bout y'all?
My training's just going. I usually run at night until winter then switch to a treadmill at the gym. Not happening now with the Rona 19er. So it's running outside and working around the weather. Still running 3-4 days a week, but no consistent schedule. Because of the North easter, it was 34 at 7:30. 30 degrees here now. No running tonight. I'm getting some "weight lifting" in at work while loading/unloading freight. I pick ones out and use them to do various lifts/workouts. I also got some cold weather gear. It's not necessarily cycling specific, but will work. I might have some carbon commandos looking down their noses, but so be it. If you put flat pedals on the bike, you can ride in any type of footwear you desire. Again, you might get some funny looks, but at least your feet won't be freezing. I also have a basic trainer at the office set up with the beater IM on it. I'm riding it some. Mostly it's used for checking different drivetrain combinations for the black Turbo build while parts are coming in. The Shamrock full/half marathon weekend is back on for 2021 currently. Sports Backers here in Richmond has put up their own full/half/8K event the weekend before the Shamrock. Same concept as the way they did the Richmond Marathon in November. It worked really well. Unless they get canceled I'll be doing half in consecutive weekends. That's how it's going here.

Here's the info for the Sports Backers spring event. The way they did it this year was interesting. The course was open and SAGs manned for 16 days from 5AM to a time in the late afternoon. You downloaded/used a race tracking app, wore a mask from your car to the starting line, then took off whenever you felt like it. The mask came off when you got away from the starting line. You then carried it with you. On the course, you maintained social distancing throughout your race. It was different, but it worked.

https://www.sportsbackers.org/events/sports-backers-marathon/

Last edited by seypat; 12-15-20 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-15-20, 08:59 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Training?
158 miles last week, average output 165 watts.
That’s training.
Old 12-16-20, 08:22 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by rccardr
Training?
158 miles last week, average output 165 watts.
That’s training.
Exactly, training for what? Training for life, maybe?
I was talking with one of my black belts who's 50 yo about how we train for a fight we hope never happens. We call it keeping our swords sharp.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 12-16-20, 09:34 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

2 hours on rollers Sunday. They are diabolical.
Since moved to open space.

Old 12-16-20, 09:52 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Exactly, training for what? Training for life, maybe?
I was talking with one of my black belts who's 50 yo about how we train for a fight we hope never happens.
We call it keeping our swords sharp.
At 5’2” and 130, it was often inevitable.
Thus, I partook of such activity unwillingly and often.
I needed better outcomes, and learned what worked and what didn’t.
Unfortunately, for a while I learned to like it. Still do, but it’s not fashionable.

I watch the violence that currently seems to be de rigeur for one side.
Amateurs that can easily be brought to heel.
Victimizers would become “victims,” when really all they got was their wish.
Doubt it would play well at 5 & 11, though.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-16-20 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-16-20, 10:39 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
2 hours on rollers Sunday. They are diabolical.
Since moved to open space.

Since I'm not familiar with rollers, is the front wheel stationary, or on a set as well?
Old 12-16-20, 10:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
Since I'm not familiar with rollers, is the front wheel stationary, or on a set as well?
The front wheel is on a single roller, mounted dead center under the front axle. It rolls the same speed as the rear, connected by a long band.
You can buy a stationary fork mount it you want. It's far less dangerous. Don't ask me how I know this.

The same forces, I guess, that keep a spinning top upright are what keep you up on rollers. They really smooth out your cycling motion.

It's a great workout if you can get past the broken bones.

What's really neat, is that different bikes ride differently on rollers. Not so on a stationary mount.
Note the 1988 Ironman Expert, from the Empire, 2x10 6700

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-16-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-16-20, 10:57 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
I must have missed it. Where is this bike located?
Western Canada. The nation to our north.
Old 12-16-20, 11:01 AM
seypat

At 5’2” and 130, it was often inevitable.
Thus, I partook of such activity unwillingly and often.
I needed better outcomes, and learned what worked and what didn’t.
Unfortunately, for a while I learned to like it. Still do, but it’s not fashionable.

I watch the violence that currently seems to be de rigeur for one side.
Amateurs that can easily be brought to heel.
Victimizers would become “victims,” when really all they got was their wish.
Doubt it would play well at 5 & 11, though.
Where I grew up it was expected. There was honor involved. At school, social activities, etc, if a disagreement broke out it had to get settled. Males, females, it didn't matter. If a fight broke out, it would be broken up .....until the band went on break. Then the two would have to go outside and get to it. They couldn't get out of it. The crowd would form a big circle to prevent the fighters from getting into something really dangerous. Then they would go until it was finished. Just like Philo Beddoe and Tank Murdock. At school, the fight would be broken up and the offenders would get sent to the principal and get paddled. But as soon as school ended, it was down to the first dirt road south of the school. It had thick sandy soil so a fall would not cause injury. Then they had to settle it. Some days there would be multiple "matches" on the docket. Sometimes multiple fighters on each side. As long as the sides were even, it was a go. Friday night fights and WWE all in one! It was some good entertainment and kept the violence down. A person kept their honor by towing the line even if they lost. And, they found out it wasn't any fun, even if they were the winner.

The female fights were always the best. Much more drama and flair. Lots of hair pulling.

Last edited by seypat; 12-16-20 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-16-20, 11:03 AM
seypat

Western Canada. The nation to our north.
That might be to far for me. I can handle the east coast, though.
Old 12-16-20, 11:14 AM
seypat

The front wheel is on a single roller, mounted dead center under the front axle. It rolls the same speed as the rear, connected by a long band.
You can buy a stationary fork mount it you want. It's far less dangerous. Don't ask me how I know this.

The same forces, I guess, that keep a spinning top upright are what keep you up on rollers. They really smooth out your cycling motion.

It's a great workout if you can get past the broken bones.

What's really neat, is that different bikes ride differently on rollers. Not so on a stationary mount.
Note the 1988 Ironman Expert, from the Empire, 2x10 6700
A single front roller. I figured it would be 2 spaced about an inch apart. Maybe that setup would not be as sensitive to fork steer and balance as the single. Is that a TT Jimmy Hat I see? That's a serious setup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.