Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedal Theory ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pedal Theory ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 12:56 PM
Sommy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pedal Theory ?

I currently have some basic shimano clipless pedals and clipping into them at intersections is getting old. I'm considering Speedplay because it sounds like they are much easier to get in and out of.

I'm wondering if you all feel a platform pedal transfers more power, compared to the much smaller speedplay pedals, due to the larger surface of the pedal?

One other question on Speedplay pedals - I understand you just push down to clip in, correct? How do you clip out? Is it a turn to the side, similar to Shimano platforms?
Old 05-07-10, 12:58 PM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sommy
I'm wondering if you all feel a platform pedal transfers more power, compared to the much smaller speedplay pedals, due to the larger surface of the pedal?

NOPE.

One other question on Speedplay pedals - I understand you just push down to clip in, correct? How do you clip out? Is it a turn to the side, similar to Shimano platforms?
Twist your heel out. Very simple.

Old 05-07-10, 01:01 PM
ptle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bigger pedal surface doesn't do much assuming the pedal itself is stiff. It's more about how stiff your shoes are.
Old 05-07-10, 01:12 PM
MajorMantra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Speedplay pedal may be small but the cleat is big so the effective platform size is, if anything, bigger than you get with most other brands. Which Shimanos do you have? If you're having problems it's probably just a matter of practice - all pedal systems have a learning curve. In fact, I found Speedplay Zeros took more getting used to than regular (mtb) SPDs as there's a knack to clipping in, especially for a very light rider like myself.
Old 05-07-10, 01:16 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 951 Posts
I currently have some basic shimano clipless pedals and clipping into them at intersections is getting old.
I use double sided Shimano SPD pedals. I'm often clipped-in before other people, using road clipless pedals, are . I doubt that any other pedal is going to be any more convenient.
Old 05-07-10, 01:33 PM
Sommy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll have to check out the double sided Shimano's.

I have been riding with the current pedals for a year and a half and I do alright getting in and out. The only frustrtating part is when I'm in traffic. so i started wondering about a better way.
Old 05-07-10, 01:57 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I use double sided Shimano SPD pedals. I'm often clipped-in before other people, using road clipless pedals, are . I doubt that any other pedal is going to be any more convenient.
But the Speedplays will be as convenient, lighter, better cornering angles, and better for people with knee problems.

Your SPD's will be easier to walk with the shoes, however.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-07-10, 02:38 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 951 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
But the Speedplays will be as convenient, lighter, better cornering angles, and better for people with knee problems.

Your SPD's will be easier to walk with the shoes, however.
That could be the case. But it isn't clear that the OP needs any of these features.

It's not at all clear what his problem is. I guessed that he one sided pedals and is finding it inconvenient to flip the pedals to the right side.

I'll have to check out the double sided Shimano's.

I have been riding with the current pedals for a year and a half and I do alright getting in and out. The only frustrtating part is when I'm in traffic. so i started wondering about a better way.
Having to flip pedals to the right side is less convenient. Beyond that, there isn't going to be any way that is significantly better.

As far as I have observed, one sided pedals tend to be slower to clip into.

Note that, if you are buying new pedals, you might consider other pedal types, which you might not want to do if you have lots of bikes with SPD pedals!

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-07-10 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-07-10, 02:46 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
learn to track stand.