Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New custom 11-speed Alfine Di2 Gates belt drive commuter.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New custom 11-speed Alfine Di2 Gates belt drive commuter.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 08:19 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan0402
The lack of rear brake does not equate to lack of safety, it's a choice. I ride 10miles to work on clean flat street and bike lanes and therefore it is no issue.
absolutely correct. ~70% of braking force comes from the front (and the 785 is one of the best brakes money can buy).

I didn't say I was entering tour de france with it. I ride to work and back with it, and sometimes around town for pleasure.
ignore the silly "utility/city bike" zealots and post more pics after you get it set up.. my custom "A" commuter weighs 18.5 lbs and is the most functional bike i've ever commuted on.

PS: it's trivial for most skilled shops to braze on water bottle holder screws (convenient for a travel mug).

Last edited by spare_wheel; 05-18-14 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-18-14, 08:30 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
such things will always be treated less favorably amongst a crowd of experienced riders that value practicality above all else.
wow. i guess i'm a right proper n0oB because because i've rarely agreed with your vision of what a commuting bike should look like.

PS: despite the fact that conformist dutch people ride the same style of bike that conformist dutch people road in the 1920s...there is no such thing as a perfect city bike.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 05-19-14 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-18-14, 09:07 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
First my thoughts on Di2: No shift cables means more flexible routing and the potential for multiple shifting points without all the complexity you see in today's mechanical shifters. No more worries about kinks but a short or break will ruin your day.

I'd like to see how it works in freezing temps with water and slush being splashed on the components. I'd also like to see how it works in bitter cold. There's definitely room for improvement over mechanical shifting.

As far as the bike itself goes: Cripes, I'd love to try one. What is wrong with the rest of you?

It may not be the most practical thing in the world but it just might be kind of fun. There are some people who throw away their money and waste their time on things will little real value, but how many people lying on their death bed are thinking, "If only I had been more practical".

Would any of you refuse to ride a beach cruiser on flat terrain because it just has a single coaster brake? And while most of us expect to be able to mount a water bottle to the frame, it's not uncommon for people who drink a lot while riding to put a couple behind the saddle or one on the handlebars.

I have one fairly practical bike for commuting (by this forum's standards) and two that are significantly less so. I put far more commuting miles on the latter two than I do the practical one.

Last edited by tjspiel; 05-18-14 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-18-14, 09:31 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
Yes, there is a lot of angst here. I simply posted a unique bike I just got with some neat components on it that aren't typical. It is not my only bike. I do also have a regular road bike. Is it the most comfortable bike ever? Nope, don't claim that. Is it the lightest bike ever? Nope, don't claim that. Is it unique and interesting to some? Yes, maybe, and that is why I wanted to share with you. If someone sees me riding down the street I'll be glad to talk and answer questions. I'm a bike enthusiast, so this is strictly my toy. I'm not entering it in races etc, but I do commute to work with it and I find it quite adequate for that purpose. I don't ride in rain, sleet, or snow, I'm not a die hard. I guess I should've never shared this with what I thought might be other enthusiasts. It's not everyones cup of tea of course, and I don't expect it to be. It doesn't have a rear brake, it doesn't have a bottle cage, it is missing grips at the moment, but hey sorry I didn't post pics of my conventional Norco or whatever brand.
Don't sweat it dude; on the internets you gotta learn to ignore the haters. I also happen to think your bike has incorporated a lot of very bad ideas, but it does at least look interesting, and I am glad I saw some pictures of it.
Old 05-18-14, 09:43 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a bike enthusiast, so this is strictly my toy.
There that settles it.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 05-18-14, 10:16 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
absolutely correct. ~70% of braking force comes from the front
In a hard stop under good conditions where braking is limited by the rider going over the bars essentially all of the braking force comes from the front wheel. But that changes drastically when the front brake cable snaps or there's some other mechanical issue. I've found it very handy to have a second brake available in such circumstances.
Old 05-18-14, 10:20 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

PS: it's trivial for most skilled shops to braze on water bottle holder screws (convenient for a travel mug).
Sure, but where would you put them on that frame? I'd think the best way to carry water bottles on that bike would be with one of the behind-the-seat cages - no brazing needed.
Old 05-18-14, 10:49 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
  • i will never use a bell, mirror, or rack on my commuter bikes.
  • fenders can be installed on any bike -- even a freaking pinarello dogma.
What gets me is the designer's assumption that no one wants or needs mirrors or lights, or rear brakes for that matter. The bike is so minimalist that it minimizes what you can do with it. Bikes are awesome partially because of the many applications that they can be made suited for. This bike is like a multi-tool with everything removed except for a T10 driver and a bottle opener.

I'm still skeptical about the fenders, this bike is way freakier than a Pinarello Dogma.

you are repeating yourself
It's a pretty common tactic in debate, and in this particular case was employed to drive home that fact in addition to lacking these basic features, it doesn't even have grips! To me it's like riding a bike without a saddle: doable, but why would you choose to (trials riders notwithstanding)? A moot point, though, since the bike is only ridden in fair weather.

Also, my beard is nowhere near as long or white as that emoticon's, and while I do sometimes employ a cane, it's because I'm superfly mutha****a, straight up righteous bad***, yaknowwhaimsayin' son.

Last edited by GriddleCakes; 05-18-14 at 10:51 PM. Reason: formatting text on a smartphone iz haaard
Old 05-19-14, 08:43 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
In a hard stop under good conditions where braking is limited by the rider going over the bars essentially all of the braking force comes from the front wheel. But that changes drastically when the front brake cable snaps or there's some other mechanical issue. I've found it very handy to have a second brake available in such circumstances.
the likelihood of a cable snapping on this bike is zero. the likelihood of two cables snapping is almost certainly higher than the likelihood of an xt 785 failure (especially after a no bleed install).
Old 05-19-14, 11:08 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
absolutely correct. ~70% of braking force comes from the front (and the 785 is one of the best brakes money can buy).
It doesn't matter how good the front brake is...It's still a dumb idea to have only one brake on the front and no rear brake on a bike with freewheeling rear.
Old 05-19-14, 11:41 AM
rpcleary
Semi-competitive

Bikes: 2003 Trek Fuel 80, 2011 Allez Apex

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got my custom made commuter bike. 700c wheels, 11-speed electronic Alfine Di2 hub with Gates belt drivem, Shimano XT Icetech hydraulic front brake. Smooth like butter!!
Not my first choice for commuting, ever, but would not mind taking out for a spin. Ever consider trying an ebike conversion? This has a ton of space to work with. How does it compare with your other bikes in terms of ride endurance?
Old 05-19-14, 11:41 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's still a dumb idea ...
We can spend all day calling each others choices dumb but I doubt anyone is going to budge one inch on their preferences.
Old 05-19-14, 12:52 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
What gets me is the designer's assumption that no one wants or needs mirrors or lights, or rear brakes for that matter. The bike is so minimalist that it minimizes what you can do with it. Bikes are awesome partially because of the many applications that they can be made suited for. This bike is like a multi-tool with everything removed except for a T10 driver and a bottle opener.

I'm still skeptical about the fenders, this bike is way freakier than a Pinarello Dogma.
I see no reason why you couldn't mount lights or a bell if you really wanted to but the designer is definitely taking a minimalist approach. You may want it to be a multi-tool, but they don't and there are plenty of multi-tools already out there.

To be fair to the designer though, they don't assume you don't want rear brakes. In fact, the bike on their website looks to be set up as a fixed gear, - without a front brake. The OP said it was a custom build so maybe they put a disc tab on the fork for him. There's nothing stopping you from choosing a drivetrain with a drum, roller, or coaster brake if you want rear brakes. And while I don't know if a rear disc tab could ever be put on that frame, I am certain that canti-studs or a brake bridge could be provided in a custom build.

I'm also not sure why people are so focused on the top-tube and stand-over height. It looks a little deceiving but I see no reason why it would be any different than a typical diamond frame bike as long as it's sized correctly. The handle bars are level with the top tube. On performance road bikes the drops are often lower than the top tube.

Last edited by tjspiel; 05-19-14 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 01:08 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by andyprough
In reading the Velonia Viks website, it appears that this thing is a double-frame made of stainless steel - in which case it should be about twice as heavy as a normal bike. However, they are claiming a weight of only 5kg, or about 11 pounds, which doesn't make much sense. Possibly the steel is so thin that the frame might not be able to stand much in the way of impacts.

Sounds about right to me. 5kg is for just the frame. By comparison, a Surly Long Haul Trucker frame and fork* weighs 3.4kg or about 7.5 pounds.

* Note: The LHT is a heavy frameset and still this frameset weighs 50% more.
Old 05-19-14, 01:39 PM
andyprough

Bikes: Motobecane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
Sounds about right to me. 5kg is for just the frame. By comparison, a Surly Long Haul Trucker frame and fork* weighs 3.4kg or about 7.5 pounds.

* Note: The LHT is a heavy frameset and still this frameset weighs 50% more.
Yup, you're right. Wonder what the weight is fully loaded. Pretty strange setup.
Old 05-19-14, 02:06 PM
tjspiel

Yup, you're right. Wonder what the weight is fully loaded. Pretty strange setup.
Remember the handlebars and stem are built in, so some weight would be saved there. Not 4.5 pounds though.

Last edited by tjspiel; 05-19-14 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 02:09 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
i love that you guys are remarking about the weight of a bike from a custom frame builder that's a certified artist.

it's cool, in it's own unique manner
Old 05-19-14, 02:36 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by acidfast7
i love that you guys are remarking about the weight of a bike from a custom frame builder that's a certified artist.

it's cool, in it's own unique manner
How does one go about becoming a certified artist ?

To me they look kind of like one of those artistic bike racks come to life.

I'm not sure how nice it would be to ride but it will definitely turn heads. It'll also be a conversation piece at the office. There can be real world advantages (and downsides) to owning something like that.

I have an unusual sailboat (for North America) that rarely fails to attract attention. People will stop to ask me about it all the time. Like the OP's bike, it tends to be dismissed by traditional boat owners as more of a toy than a real boat, but it gives me a chance to talk to non-sailors about sailing.

Last edited by tjspiel; 05-19-14 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 02:41 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by tjspiel
How does one go about becoming a certified artist ?
That EU grant usually has an "artistic" component. That's what I meant.
Old 05-19-14, 02:44 PM
AndreyT

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Not at all. I run only a front brake on my SS bike and hardly ever use the rear on my MTB.
It is not about whether it is possible and what you use most. It is solely about the redundancy: to have two independent brakes in case one of them fails.
Old 05-19-14, 02:52 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by AndreyT
It is not about whether it is possible and what you use most. It is solely about the redundancy: to have two independent brakes in case one of them fails.
my feet work as well. do you really like it's an issue if I ditch the bike?

i'm more worried about this ... but such is life sometimes

Old 05-19-14, 03:05 PM
andyprough

Bikes: Motobecane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He did call it his new "commuter bike". I'm wondering if it is too heavy for my 15 mile commute through the Texas hillside? I found a review website that called it a 22 pound bike, so maybe that answers my question about how much it weighs once it's ready to ride. Sounds plenty light enough.

Now I just need to scrape together the $10,000-$20,000 for an artist to make me a special bike...
Old 05-19-14, 03:15 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by AndreyT
I see the value in redundancy and personally I'd prefer to have braking at each wheel. However, as I mentioned before there are other adult bikes (beach cruisers) that only have rear brakes.

There's an article about the Viks where they talk about how it came to be and other stuff. It's actually intended to be used as a fixed gear or with a coaster brake and no front brake. Since it's a custom frame apparently they'll put disc tabs on the fork if you want. In other words, if you really want two brakes I'm sure you can get two brakes.
Old 05-19-14, 03:26 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
my feet work as well. do you really like it's an issue if I ditch the bike?
but you have *two* feet. redundancy!
Old 05-19-14, 03:35 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You can make a lighter bike of equal strength to cromo by using stainless.
Stainless is hard to work with, which is why it's not commonly used. It's starting to get more popular, especially with high end racing custom builders.

In reading the Velonia Viks website, it appears that this thing is a double-frame made of stainless steel - in which case it should be about twice as heavy as a normal bike. However, they are claiming a weight of only 5kg, or about 11 pounds, which doesn't make much sense. Possibly the steel is so thin that the frame might not be able to stand much in the way of impacts.

Also, my apologies to GriddleCakes - clearly he DID see this bike one some website or other recently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.