Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-16, 06:23 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
For those of you with stages or other 1 arm pm's.. do you use instantaneous power? On mine, the data doesn't translate very well. It fluctuates a lot, like one second it's 250 and the next it's 300, and I'm pretty sure I don't have Parkinson's. Maybe I'm just bad at smooth power delivery, and maybe the hilly terrain poses extra challenges with maintaining the same power. In any case, just wondering if people use instantaneous power or the 3 second rolling avg for reading immediate power delivery.
I use 10" average almost exclusively. More out of laziness than a belief that 3" is inappropriate; I don't want to display 3" and 10" simultaneously, and I can't be bothered to switch back and forth between them. Just using instantaneous power is worse than useless, though.
Old 04-24-16, 09:46 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I use 10" average almost exclusively. More out of laziness than a belief that 3" is inappropriate; I don't want to display 3" and 10" simultaneously, and I can't be bothered to switch back and forth between them. Just using instantaneous power is worse than useless, though.
3" is pretty much as close to instantaneous as is practical, IMO.
Old 04-28-16, 07:58 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
new garmin 520 vo2 high score: 70
Old 04-28-16, 11:03 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Mine has me at 48, and I'm friggin' ancient.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-28-16, 12:32 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
new garmin 520 vo2 high score: 70
Haha, yeah it seems to enjoy pegging those numbers sort of high, I consistently see it telling me 67.
Old 04-28-16, 12:48 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Haha, yeah it seems to enjoy pegging those numbers sort of high, I consistently see it telling me 67.
wait so does this mean i'm better than you? when do i get my upgrade?
Old 04-28-16, 12:57 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
wait so does this mean i'm better than you? when do i get my upgrade?
Just submit your strava files to JD, I am sure he will give it to you.
Old 05-02-16, 10:17 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
for those of you with stages where the power drops out... is it basically the power going to zero, and sometimes going to dashed lines, before coming back again? how long does it usually happen for?
Old 05-02-16, 11:18 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for those of you with stages where the power drops out... is it basically the power going to zero, and sometimes going to dashed lines, before coming back again? how long does it usually happen for?
I've started getting this several times a ride with my Powertap wheels (both on the road and TT bike). I've been using a Garmin Edge 100 with this meters for over a year with no problems, this just started happening with one of the recent firmware updates and I'm pretty sure Garmin screwed up something in the ANT+ code that's causing it.
Old 05-02-16, 11:47 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
I've started getting this several times a ride with my Powertap wheels (both on the road and TT bike). I've been using a Garmin Edge 100 with this meters for over a year with no problems, this just started happening with one of the recent firmware updates and I'm pretty sure Garmin screwed up something in the ANT+ code that's causing it.
I don't recall any firmware updates with my garmin 500 in recent history. This is a warranty unit they sent me, and it happened out of the box
Old 05-03-16, 04:27 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in my experience it was one of two thing, but might as well check

Ant+ runs into issues while next to routers as i believe* the ant+ frequency is close to that of routers
Battery door loose, do you have the updated battery door? if not , stages will send u a new one for free as the battery is loose and power drops
Old 05-03-16, 05:30 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp

Ant+ runs into issues while next to routers as i believe* the ant+ frequency is close to that of routers
Battery door loose, do you have the updated battery door? if not , stages will send u a new one for free as the battery is loose and power drops
Ant+ struggles with the 2.4 ghz frequency. I used to get a ton of drop outs with my Quarqs when indoors (3 of them with multiple Garmins) until I moved everything in my apt to 5 ghz. I still get occasional drop outs because I can't make my neighbors switch, but they are few and far between now.
Old 05-03-16, 09:33 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
Ant+ struggles with the 2.4 ghz frequency. I used to get a ton of drop outs with my Quarqs when indoors (3 of them with multiple Garmins) until I moved everything in my apt to 5 ghz. I still get occasional drop outs because I can't make my neighbors switch, but they are few and far between now.
Same.

So to answer @spectastic . When you see the power go to Zero and then dashed lines that means the unit has stopped transmitting. What that happened with my Stages it sometimes came back 20-30 seconds later, and sometimes I needed to put a new battery in / pop the battery and reset the unit.
Old 05-03-16, 12:41 PM
jdms mvp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same.

So to answer @spectastic . When you see the power go to Zero and then dashed lines that means the unit has stopped transmitting. What that happened with my Stages it sometimes came back 20-30 seconds later, and sometimes I needed to put a new battery in / pop the battery and reset the unit.
I got a stages new battery door then to add a little assurance did a little rolled up tube of electrical tape on the battery for snugness, After that i didn't get any issues with stages again other than my issue with left side power only lol
@ntnyln
Old 05-03-16, 03:52 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I got a stages new battery door then to add a little assurance did a little rolled up tube of electrical tape on the battery for snugness, After that i didn't get any issues with stages again other than my issue with left side power only lol
@ntnyln
???...
Old 05-03-16, 03:54 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
ok, I'll try putting in some filling in between the battery door, to see if it helps.
Old 05-04-16, 05:20 AM
jdms mvp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by assymetry
???...
yea inferring that i had issue with having a left only power meter (preference). I used two head units and crank based + stages for about 1 months worth of riding and training at multiple zones and short / long durations. I think* it has to do with leg fatigue over time and also asymmetry that my z2 was nearly spot on giving me dandy TSS and other metrics, but as the zones would increase in intensity (for the reasons stated above) the percentage change was not linear. z3 delta was maybe 5-8% then at z4 the percent change was 10% , and then short HARD efforts, were no where near. Which threw off metrics but also i couldn't reliably train with. So lets say my 'number' was 300w for a 10minute effort. Going by my stage power meter seeing 300, my crank powermeter was reading 330w. That's a completely different effort..... but at 175w both read 175w.
Old 05-04-16, 06:09 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never did the two head unit thing but by RPE I see similar discrepancies between my SRM and Stages. I can't tell you where the inflection point is but the Stages does read low at higher output.
Old 05-14-16, 11:08 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
yea inferring that i had issue with having a left only power meter (preference). I used two head units and crank based + stages for about 1 months worth of riding and training at multiple zones and short / long durations. I think* it has to do with leg fatigue over time and also asymmetry that my z2 was nearly spot on giving me dandy TSS and other metrics, but as the zones would increase in intensity (for the reasons stated above) the percentage change was not linear. z3 delta was maybe 5-8% then at z4 the percent change was 10% , and then short HARD efforts, were no where near. Which threw off metrics but also i couldn't reliably train with. So lets say my 'number' was 300w for a 10minute effort. Going by my stage power meter seeing 300, my crank powermeter was reading 330w. That's a completely different effort..... but at 175w both read 175w.
i see. that makes sense. considering my right leg is dominant, my z4+ is probably also off, and max power too probably. I think pioneer has a chainring based meter for the same price range as the stages.

Same.

you don't see that as a problem? having power drop out on you for a period of time? i know it probably won't affect you too much with training or racing, but we're paying quite a bit of money, and I feel like we should be expecting the unit to function 100% of the time. I mean if I had a laptop that drops the wifi on occasion, it's not really going to affect my productivity, but it's enough of a nuisance to make me want to say something.

Originally Posted by ntnyln
so this dropping out is expected for all powermeters, not just stages? that sucks. I noticed that when my power drops, my cadence doesn't. It just goes to zero. why is that? the power and accelerometer should both use the same signal, right? how come one looses connection while the other just reads 0? is 0 the default reading or something in the head unit when it looses connection? (actually I could check right now, but I just got back from a ride, and I'm too lazy to do it)

the battery door is the newer one, I think. They sent me 2, with a couple of extra o-rings, so the cap is solid.
Old 05-14-16, 12:42 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
you don't see that as a problem? having power drop out on you for a period of time? i know it probably won't affect you too much with training or racing...

so this dropping out is expected for all powermeters, not just stages?...
My data issues with Stages were far worse than just momentary dropouts of power (which is why there are no longer any Stages in my life), but I'm not exactly sure why power drop outs would fail to affect training. Power that drops to zero during a 1 min interval screws up the interval. For me, various Stages issues happened frequently enough that it absolutely affected my training. Thankfully by the time I started racing TTs, the Stages had been replaced. But if my gameplan for the day included being able to glance at my power during my TT, it would have certainly affected my racing to have my power data drop out.

Different people have different needs. But like you, I saw a pretty big problem with the Stages and the endless cycle of updating firmware, replacing battery doors, replacing batteries, sending units back for refurbishment, lather rinse repeat. But again, my problems were far worse- complete loss of power data not just drop outs.

Are problems expected with all power meters? No. It really depends on the strength of the ANT+ signal. I have no Stages now and no data problems now.
Old 05-14-16, 01:12 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
speaking of stages, i hadn't received a response to my last email for a few days so i called them and i guess whoever was assigned to my ticket isn't in the office on thursday and friday. like...in that case shouldn't their tickets be forwarded to someone else? at this point i'm going to be w/o a powermeter for a week plus. just going to be happy if i get it rolling before ksr.
Old 05-14-16, 08:13 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRM battery is dead. I've heard that some wired SRM units can be upgraded to wireless transmission when you send them to their facility in Colorado Springs. Anyone had this done? If so, how much does it cost?

Mine is a Hollowgram SiSL 130mm BCD unit, if that makes any difference.
Old 05-17-16, 05:57 PM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone using golden cheetah 3 something know how to get Normalized Power to show up? All I see is xPower, which isn't the same thing, but I read somewhere it's on the new GC.
Old 05-17-16, 06:07 PM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never mind, I figured it out
Old 05-17-16, 06:34 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i know it's a different algorithm, but how different are the XP v. NP end result?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.