Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any interest in a BF GAP / C&O tour 2019?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Any interest in a BF GAP / C&O tour 2019?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 11:57 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First BF C&O Tour

Originally Posted by joel2old
Can't believe its going to be ten years. I was part of that group. Today I still see and feel the day and day after that rain. It was the worst and in ways the best riding experience of my life. It was a test to push yourself to the limit and in the end win. I considered myself a very strong rider and to this day I don't know how some of the other riders survived that day. I think I told myself never again will I do that ride, but you never know!
Joel from Michigan
Joel, it is amazing how time has flown by, Remember this day :-) 60 miles of mud and smiles from Cumberland to Hancock, mostly mud though!

Old 01-30-19, 12:44 PM
joel2old

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR
Joel, it is amazing how time has flown by, Remember this day :-) 60 miles of mud and smiles from Cumberland to Hancock, mostly mud though!

That picture really doesn't show how bad that ride was. The rain must have washed most of the mud off. Some areas were the water was deep you just didn't know what you might hit. Many times I started on one side of the two track but in the end would be on the other. It was like a roller coaster ride without the rails. I only went down once but so very close many more. I do believe that most went down at some point that day. It was to wet and cold to stop so I think some of us did the ride without a break.
Old 01-30-19, 02:10 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I like that idea a lot. I would be game sometime. It would be fun to tour with random people I know from internet posts and see the trail from different eyes as I have ridden it plenty but never the whole dang thing. Let's do it.
Agreed.
Old 01-30-19, 04:20 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
My muddy drive train that day and yes I ended up slamming into a wall outside Savage Tunnel ? Spent the evening in a hotel room re-truing a front wheel.

Old 01-30-19, 04:27 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Fenders would help. Bike and lower legs would still get dirty, but not as much and not higher up on you. I wonder if the 4 amigos were a group I caught up to on a very rainy day. They were hosing themselves off in Williamsport as I rode up the hill to a hotel.
Old 01-30-19, 04:34 PM
joel2old

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
My muddy drive train that day and yes I ended up slamming into a wall outside Savage Tunnel ? Spent the evening in a hotel room re-truing a front wheel.

With all the water, mud, potholes, and the worst tree roots I'm surprised someone didn't end up in the hospital. I swore off dirt trails that day and have not rode one since that trip. But you never know!!!
Old 01-30-19, 04:40 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
As to a trail or road impasse, moral of the story, don't be silly and map out a route in early spring within 6 miles of the Mississippi river. When I hit this impasse, it cost me almost 30 miles that I had not planned on that day to get to the other side-very long day.

Old 01-31-19, 05:18 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
A bit over 21 years ago my wife and I did the C&O Towpath from Cumberland to Georgetown in 3 days - without a drop of rain and barely a puddle on the Towpath - 1997 was a dry year, or at least by November everything had dried out. Had one flat, forgot that by November the White's Ferry store would be closed, one unneeded hill climb outside of Harper's Ferry - outside of that, just a great trip.

Cycleblaze reposting of the trip blog here.