Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Bike Day

Old 05-01-19, 06:59 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
New Bike Day

I could not figure out which board to put this on, so I punted.
I ride gravel, road, and commute... Anyway.

Motobecane Gravel X1

BEFORE

AFTER

Nice little bike. Needs some tuning and adjusting, but so far, I like it. Not thrilled with the brakes, but I figure I just need to get them adjusted correctly.
Likes For ironnerd:
Old 05-01-19, 07:01 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Enjoy it.
Old 05-01-19, 07:10 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 105 Posts
Looks cool! Love the color, congratulations!
Old 05-01-19, 07:32 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

It feels weird to go from a MTB with those WIDE bars to being hunched over narrow drops. But just tooling around the block, I found myself grinning.
I also pulled off the "Made in China" sticker. As far as anyone I work with is concerned, it's still a French bike with Japanese gear.
I had to get that color. I had a Motobecane the same color when I was a kid.
Old 05-01-19, 07:55 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Great looking bike. BikesDirect.?? If so, it's a good deal in so many ways....
Old 05-02-19, 07:11 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Great looking bike. BikesDirect.?? If so, it's a good deal in so many ways....
Yes. Bikes Direct. Pretty good deal.

Rode it to work today. Not bad. Definable took a bit of re-learning, but it's like riding a bike. Steering is different, bu the drop bars are ore comfortable. The difference between the small and large chainrings will take a bit of getting used to, as will the taller gears, but the thing climbs long grades better than the MTB. I did not think I would like those big "Butterfly" shifters, but I had no problems with them at all.

There are a couple of hills where I got the brakes nice and warm (by applying them gently on the way down).
There's a weird (and quite small) thunk in my right foot near the top of the rotation. I'll check the pedal and BB (I pulled the pedal off my old bike, so it may have finally dies on me)
Shifters need some adjustment, and the seat could stand to go down another half inch, but it hits the rivnut for the bottle cage (LOL).
Old 05-02-19, 07:30 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Nice looking bike. I have the Motobecane Omni Strada Comp with 105 components purchased from BikesDirect in early '17.... it's my favorite bike.

Enjoy!
Old 05-02-19, 07:33 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I'm just curious...how heavy is that bike?

Weight was one of my concerns when I was looking at Bikesdirect bikes last year since they don't put much info on weight on the website.
Old 05-03-19, 04:23 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

It's 25lbs. Not really a lightweight.

That works okay for me, but for someone looking for a real road bike, that seems pretty heavy (although it is actually the lightest bike I have ever owned by a couple of pounds)

For me, it was a trade-off.
Cost vs weight was a big one, since my bike sits in a parking lot for 9 hours a day, and might get stolen. So a much lighter bike was out of the question due to replacement costs.
I'm not a racer, or even aspire to be one. I ride a bike because I enjoy riding a bike. And this bike rides pretty nice (more comfortable than the MTB - which I found surprising).
The low end components don't bother me (much) because I can fix almost all of them, or replace them with better stuff over time (which is why a often smile when a bike part breaks - YAY! Time to upgarde).

If I were a more serious cyclist, and had better bike storage at work, I would have gone with a better bike. But this is a nice compromise for me.

<update>
I fiddled with the brakes and got them working the way I thought they should. It was my technique (never had a disk brake bike before). Also, the weird "thunk" seems to have come from my old pedals. I out the new ones on and it looks like its gone (although there is a bit of play in the bottom bracket cartridge... easy and inexpensive to replace).

The derailleurs we not adjusted. On my ride home form work the chain went over the large cog on the cassette, and the chain rubbed the front if I topped out the gears. Quick/Easy fix. I also took a few minutes to install the velometer, lights, and mirror.
</update>

###

I think I might ask the Mod to move this to the Gravel thread and re-title it "MOTOBECANE GRAVEL X1" so I can provide a pretty thorough review. As soon as I find the mod for this board...

Last edited by ironnerd; 05-03-19 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 06:45 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Found a bit of weirdness on the bike.

The rear tire kept going flat, so I grabbed a new tube and put the bike on the MX stand. With the tube completely deflated, the tire just falls off the rim. It literally comes off with zero effort.

Sure makes tube changes easy, and I guess I can leave the spoons at the house when I ride.

I did find out that any tube I buy has to have a long stem, but even cheap Schwinn tubes have those now, so I should be okay.
Old 06-24-19, 07:02 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
It's not a French bike nor are those components Japanese. The Motobecane name was bought out by Bikes Direct to give their product some fake prestige and the low level components used on the bike might say Shimano but are from China or somewhere else with lower quality standards. Be honest with people, always a good policy.

As far as owning a cheap bike because of theft, the only reason to do that is if you haven't got a quality lock and use good locking practices. Plenty of very nice bikes that get locked up outside for long periods that don't get stolen.
Old 06-24-19, 08:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
As far as owning a cheap bike because of theft, the only reason to do that is if you haven't got a quality lock and use good locking practices. Plenty of very nice bikes that get locked up outside for long periods that don't get stolen.
If you ride a bike to work, you may not have an option for "good locking practices". I took OP to mean that he has to leave it unattended at a parking lot for 9 hours a day. That's plenty of time even to take out a good lock.

Cheap bikes are damn useful utilitarian objects.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-24-19, 09:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
It's not a French bike nor are those components Japanese. The Motobecane name was bought out by Bikes Direct to give their product some fake prestige and the low level components used on the bike might say Shimano but are from China or somewhere else with lower quality standards. Be honest with people, always a good policy.
Please list all the bike brands your store carried or currently carries for the last 5 years. Curious where this oft-repeated contempt comes from.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-24-19, 11:12 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Here we go with the Motobecane bashing again...

Nice bike OP, I love the color!
Likes For ChinookTx:
Old 06-24-19, 01:50 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

That is some Earth-shattering information.

Actually, it's a nice bike. Not a great bike (I've had better). And not a nice bike "for the money". It's just a nice bike. If it really matters to someone that their bike was made in France or Japan, or wherever then I would consider them a snob. I mean... where were your iPhone, iPad, or Laptop made? Not France... Not even Japan... Probably China. Does that mean your iPhone sucks?
Old 06-24-19, 02:32 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd
I mean... where were your iPhone, iPad, or Laptop made? Not France... Not even Japan... Probably China. Does that mean your iPhone sucks?
<sarcasm> But wait... They were "Designed by Apple in California". That's prestige right there!! </sarcasm>
Likes For ChinookTx:
Old 06-24-19, 02:54 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Really nice looking bike. I'd love to have that bike. Wow. That's killer. Sweet.

About the nay-sayers.... Most who post here were a kid at one time. We rode whatever bike our parents could afford, at the time. We all loved our bikes. Same theory for us as adults. We buy what we can afford. Or, we spend as much or as little as we choose. That Motobecane is capable of going many many many miles. Many more miles than some bikes that cost more. Why people have to put down a decent bike I'll never know. It's something personal within them. Who knows....
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 06-24-19, 10:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Please list all the bike brands your store carried or currently carries for the last 5 years. Curious where this oft-repeated contempt comes from.
I have sold Scott, Fuji, Surly, Specialized, Giant, Jamis, Breezer, Focus, Moots, Gazelle, Kalkhoff, Riese and Muller, Tern, Kestrel, Yuba, Bulls, SE Bikes (the new one by ASI) HaiBike, Oyama, Raleigh, Salsa, Co-Motion and probably some others I cannot remember. Within that time I have been at two companies granted most of the time has been at the current shop. I have sold and seen a lot of brands and a good portion of the brands on the list I probably wouldn't sell again or only hand select a small number of their bikes for sale. Some of the stuff has been excellent and I love selling it and others have been "why in the hell did you make that?" or just have had issues with the distributor or direct company.

Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Here we go with the Motobecane bashing again...

Nice bike OP, I love the color!
I have nothing against Motobecane the original company, they made some excellent bikes. Wouldn't mind a Grand Jubilee with some original SunTour Cyclone or the one that Justyne had up on BikeRecyclery.com

Originally Posted by ironnerd
That is some Earth-shattering information.

Actually, it's a nice bike. Not a great bike (I've had better). And not a nice bike "for the money". It's just a nice bike. If it really matters to someone that their bike was made in France or Japan, or wherever then I would consider them a snob. I mean... where were your iPhone, iPad, or Laptop made? Not France... Not even Japan... Probably China. Does that mean your iPhone sucks?
I shatter the Earth regularly I also listen to Earth and highly recommend them. Dylan Calson is brilliant and the musicians he has surrounded himself with are also quite good.

This was a quote from you "I also pulled off the "Made in China" sticker. As far as anyone I work with is concerned, it's still a French bike with Japanese gear."

I have never claimed my electronics to be from France or Japan nor any bikes not actually from France or Japan (which so far is none) I have 4 made in the U.S., 1 made in Switzerland, 4 bikes made in Taiwan. I probably have missed something and if so it was probably something from Taiwan. Components are all over the place and to figure all that out would be interesting but take a long time, though I do try to have some U.S. made stuff when I can. My electronics are probably from China and Taiwan at least the ones you mentioned but again not claiming they are anything different.

I don't need to fib to co-workers that my iPhone is French with a Japanese case. If my bike was made in Taiwan it was made in Taiwan, they do a great job over there making bikes and yeah sure I would love for every bike I own to be made in 'Merica but I am just not at that point yet but I am damn sure trying but Firefly's are expensive as hell, Bruce Gordon is dead (R.I.P.) and Richard Sachs doesn't take any more orders...LOL.
Old 06-24-19, 11:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
I have sold Scott, Fuji, Surly, Specialized, Giant, Jamis, Breezer, Focus, Moots, Gazelle, Kalkhoff, Riese and Muller, Tern, Kestrel, Yuba, Bulls, SE Bikes (the new one by ASI) HaiBike, Oyama, Raleigh, Salsa, Co-Motion and probably some others I cannot remember. Within that time I have been at two companies granted most of the time has been at the current shop. I have sold and seen a lot of brands and a good portion of the brands on the list I probably wouldn't sell again or only hand select a small number of their bikes for sale. Some of the stuff has been excellent and I love selling it and others have been "why in the hell did you make that?" or just have had issues with the distributor or direct company.
So do you view Scott, Fuji, Breezer, Kestrel, Raleigh, and Salsa the same way you view Motobecane?
Those are all obvious brands that, like motobecane, were bought by different companies for the name/prestige.

The XX name was bought out by XX to give their product some fake prestige and the low level components used on the bike might say Shimano but are from China or somewhere else with lower quality standards.

I never see you rant on about Raleigh, Fuji, or Salsa like you do Motobecane.
And sure, you could claim that the brands you don't rant about dont deserve it because the good name has stayed in tact, but there are some really entry level bikes from Fuji, Raleigh, Breezer, etc that perfectly apply to the bold italicized rant above.
Conversely, there are some really nicely designed and built Motobecane bikes in road, gravel, and more. Good geometry, good spec, good price.

I'm sure you will justify it with along the lines of how you wouldn't sell some brands again.
Thing is, you sure arent vocal against any other shop level/priced brands, even though many could apply to your dislike of Motobecane.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-25-19, 12:07 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

So do you view Scott, Fuji, Breezer, Kestrel, Raleigh, and Salsa the same way you view Motobecane?
Those are all obvious brands that, like motobecane, were bought by different companies for the name/prestige.

The XX name was bought out by XX to give their product some fake prestige and the low level components used on the bike might say Shimano but are from China or somewhere else with lower quality standards.

I never see you rant on about Raleigh, Fuji, or Salsa like you do Motobecane.
And sure, you could claim that the brands you don't rant about dont deserve it because the good name has stayed in tact, but there are some really entry level bikes from Fuji, Raleigh, Breezer, etc that perfectly apply to the bold italicized rant above.
Conversely, there are some really nicely designed and built Motobecane bikes in road, gravel, and more. Good geometry, good spec, good price.

I'm sure you will justify it with along the lines of how you wouldn't sell some brands again.
Thing is, you sure arent vocal against any other shop level/priced brands, even though many could apply to your dislike of Motobecane.
You haven't seen me talk bad about Fuji, I have done it a lot, in fact I did it today with a co-worker as we had to work on someones Fuji e-bike and it was full of problems. I also have talked plenty bad about Giant and Raleigh though less here maybe.

I occasionally say things about Salsa though I do own a Timberjack Ti and generally like what QBP has done with the brand for some of it but others yeah probably could do without. Yes I would rather have Ross Schafer at the helm and especially would love the custom stem program back but alas it is no longer. However QBP isn't in the business of making a bunch of crap. Sure not everything is a winner but in general OK and they are certainly supportive of bike shops.

Breezer stopped making mountain bikes which threw me, dude made one of the first true purpose built mountain bikes and then ASI says nah you make hybrids and some gravel bikes and I was like WTF it is BREEZER AS IN REPACK LEGEND JOE BREEZE MOUNTAIN BIKE LEGEND STATUS. I will admit though it was neat at the time seeing some belt drive stuff since I hadn't seen much of it but at that point Breezer was still selling mountain bikes and the steel road bike which at the time I kind of wanted.

I could write a whole book on bikes and brands I dislike or have been bought and sold for the name and occasionally for the actual stuff behind that name and sometimes not. Clearly you don't know me well enough because I will happily talk about this stuff and do it quite often. I also frequently talk about stuff I like or that is decent enough.
Old 06-25-19, 05:38 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Somebody got up on the cranky side of life.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 06-25-19, 05:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
$$$'s lost to competitors probably has something to do with it.
Old 06-25-19, 05:56 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
A question for those who know the technical reason. Why didn't they spec the ST-A070 brifters for this bike? They'd be compatible with the derailleurs, but maybe not the mechanical discs? It seems that the separate paddle shifters only clutter the cockpit. Why would I want to move my hand to the stem to shift on gravel?
Old 06-25-19, 06:17 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

You haven't seen me talk bad about Fuji, I have done it a lot, in fact I did it today with a co-worker as we had to work on someones Fuji e-bike and it was full of problems. I also have talked plenty bad about Giant and Raleigh though less here maybe.

I could write a whole book on bikes and brands I dislike or have been bought and sold for the name and occasionally for the actual stuff behind that name and sometimes not. Clearly you don't know me well enough because I will happily talk about this stuff and do it quite often. I also frequently talk about stuff I like or that is decent enough.
Oh...kay...
I have always been astonished by the human capacity to whine and complain about anything and everything.
Please do write that book. I'll go ride my bike and be happy.
Old 06-25-19, 06:25 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
A question for those who know the technical reason. Why didn't they spec the ST-A070 brifters for this bike? They'd be compatible with the derailleurs, but maybe not the mechanical discs? It seems that the separate paddle shifters only clutter the cockpit. Why would I want to move my hand to the stem to shift on gravel?
My assumption is that it was completely cost driven; they run about $80/pair on Amazon. That's a lot on a $400 bike.
I thought I would hate the weird paddle shifters, but they are actually extremely "okay". I may upgrade one day, but now I'll be looking at the compatibility with the brakes (thank-you for mentioning that @Phil_gretz). I do enjoy tinkering on bikes.

Addendum:
The Gravel X2 does have the ST-A070 brifters with the same TEKTRO MIRA MD-C400 brakes as the X1.
The X2 costs $50 more than the X1 - no surprises there.

Last edited by ironnerd; 06-26-19 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Price Correction

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.