Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

washing suspension forks and wheel service

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 02:06 PM
randalll

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

im washing a pair of Rock Shox J1's from an old Giant bike i'm servicing/re-building

i've just washed the wheels, tyres and inner tubes in warm, soapy water in the bath tub

can i do the same for the forks?

also, on the rear wheel, what's the part called that the cassettes fit onto, the cylindrical plastic part.

i think that needs replacing, it doesnt spin very smoothly.

i'd like to know how the wheels are made up.. could anyone post a link to a webpage about it? any other wheel parts that may need replacing? the rims look suprisingly good for their age, they were fairly cheap at the time too.. i'll keep the wheels if i can service them properly.

thanks

randall

Old 08-08-09, 02:58 PM
estabro
lungbuster

Bikes: Trek 5000 Road, SSFG Road, Kona FS MTN, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randalll
im washing a pair of Rock Shox J1's from an old Giant bike i'm servicing/re-building

i've just washed the wheels, tyres and inner tubes in warm, soapy water in the bath tub

also, on the rear wheel, what's the part called that the cassettes fit onto, the cylindrical plastic part.

i'd like to know how the wheels are made up.. could anyone post a link to a webpage about it? any other wheel parts that may need replacing? the rims look suprisingly good for their age, they were fairly cheap at the time too.. i'll keep the wheels if i can service them properly.

thanks

randal
l
I would not do that in the bath tub... rinse it with a hose gently and use a rag or soft brush to get rid of the crud.
Old 08-08-09, 03:21 PM
bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

thanks

randall
Well, that's the first I've ever heard of someone literally bathing their wheels...a little AR in my mind.

The part(s) cassettes fit onto shouldn't be plastic, at least I've never seen one. There are a couple basic types but try this article for basic type https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html. Look around on that site for a lot of good general information on the makeup of bicycles and components...

I'd just generally wipe the fork stanchions off with a clean cloth, if you have to wet them do not direct pressurized water at the seals (or any bearings for that matter).
Old 08-08-09, 03:49 PM
randalll

thanks for the replies

yeah ive just checked and they are metal, they just look deceptively like plastic. i'll have them replaced if it's worth the hassle.

why shouldn't you wash tyres and wheels in the bath? it cant do them any damage surely? if they were brand new i might not, but these ones would probably sell for a fiver, and giving them a scrub down in the bath gets rid of the mud

Old 08-08-09, 03:54 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that you are single.
Old 08-08-09, 04:00 PM
randalll

lol good guess.

Old 08-08-09, 04:24 PM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

why shouldn't you wash tyres and wheels in the bath? it cant do them any damage surely? if they were brand new i might not, but these ones would probably sell for a fiver, and giving them a scrub down in the bath gets rid of the mud
In an ideal world:
  • wheels have hubs
  • hubs have grease
  • grease doesn't always hold up well to immersion

IMHO, if you're careful to avoid the above pitfall, you could wash the wheelset in your (bachelor) tub.

Forks? Keep chemicals away. Soft rag, dampened with water, should be enough. You just need to be careful about getting anything inSIDE the fork that could deteriorate seal quality.
Old 08-08-09, 04:31 PM
randalll

too late to worry about the hubs on these wheels

Old 08-08-09, 04:47 PM
time bandit
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think by "cylindrical plastic part the cassetttes fit on to", he meant a hub with a amatte black finish.

a bath would be a good reason the axles are not spinning smoothly anymore.

repack the hubs if you have the tools/knowhow.

get the tools/knowhow if you are interested.

or take them to the bike shop.