Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help - Can't Get Comfortable with Dura Ace 7400

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 08:21 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 194 Posts

One of my most prized road bikes is a 3Rensho Katana with Modeulo lugs - detailed here in this blog post and this thread. It came to me with a complete Dura Ace 7400 group in excellent condition. I love DA 7400: it's super reliable, easy to set up, and in my opinion has the best styling of any vintage indexed group. The problem is that I just can't seem to get comfortable on the hoods of the ST-7400 shifters.

The initial build as photographed was a 100mm stem with Nitto Mod.177 "Noodle" bars and an 80mm stem. I tried a longer stem earlier and it didn't work for me. The 80mm improved the feel, but still, my hands don't seem to fit right into the shape of the ST-7400s. I'm either riding higher on the hood, with my thumbs on the shift cables and leaving an empty space between my palms & the tops of the hoods, or I'm gripping the bars just behind the hoods.

This weekend, I switched to a 90mm stem and Nitto Mod. 174AA "Fairweather" bars. The Fairweathers are identical to the Noodles (same rearward sweep) but 20mm shallower. Essentially a blend of classic road bars with the shallow reach of modern bars. I tried the combo of the Fairweather bars and an 80mm stem on a different bike that had the same top-tube length (53cm) and the reach was too short; felt cramped. So I sized up to a 90mm stem. Essentially, the overall reach came in 10mm, since the bars were 20mm shorter but I swapped in a 90mm stem that's 10mm longer than my previous.

At first, the new setup felt better, but after 20 minutes of riding, I could feel my hands creeping up on the hoods again. Overall, my hands were still searching for a comfy spot to rest, instead of "locking in" the way they do with a properly fitted cockpit. As a comparison, my other bikes use Campy or SRAM shifters; both the first generation of 1990s Campy hoods and the later second generation early 2000s shape. I don't have any problems getting comfy with any of these three shifter designs.

Any advice / suggestions / perspectives to share? Is it possible that ST-7400 shifters have a shape that just doesn't "work" with my hands? I don't want to switch out the group on the bike, especially because I spent considerable effort and cost to have the cranks pantographed to match the stem and seatpost.
Old 04-08-24, 08:39 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 299 Posts
How the bar is tilted and where the lever bodies are positioned obviously makes the difference. And that's a massively adjustable system. If you are going for a "look" then functionality may suffer.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 04-08-24, 09:35 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,125 Posts
Rotate your bars down, get a longer stem (120), ride in the drops more.
Very Cool Looking Bike.
Old 04-08-24, 09:37 AM
Catnap 

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
How the bar is tilted and where the lever bodies are positioned obviously makes the difference. And that's a massively adjustable system. If you are going for a "look" then functionality may suffer.
I installed the shifters using the standard techniques - use a steel ruler clamped the bottom of the handlebars and then line up the bottoms of the levers with the ruler. Then use a level to ensure the two shifters are equally positioned. I made one change, moving the shifters 5mm higher than lined up with the ruler. I do that on all my bikes to give a slightly more upright position without changing the outward appearance much. From there, I have rolled the bars upward and downward a few mm to find the right angle for my hands, but just can't seem to find it. To be clear, I've been messing with this setup for the better part of a year.
Old 04-08-24, 09:56 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked 2,997 Times in 1,813 Posts
If you've been messing with everything for a year, I doubt you will ever find a comfortable position.

Switch to downtube shifters and 7402 brake levers.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-08-24, 10:45 AM
reissue59

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 67 Posts
Hoods

Funny, just completed a 7400 build on Raleigh International
i put bar tape pieces as padding under the hoods to even it out, making the more comfy.
also, a modern compact handlebar helps position the levers. Play with stem lenght also

Old 04-08-24, 11:07 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked 3,246 Times in 2,047 Posts
Had the same issue. It looks weird but I angle the bars and placement of the levers until it aligns with where my hands naturally would be centered on the goods in a natural position. And my fingers are long enough that I can still brake and shift from the drops.

Campys take a bit more fiddling though riding the hoods positioning is easy-peasy.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Old 04-08-24, 11:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10505 Post(s)
Liked 12,038 Times in 6,165 Posts
ST-7400s seem to have a shorter body than later STIs, which can make them feel odd. I'd second the suggestion to go with a modern compact bar. I really like the Soma Highway One, with the lever tips set up using a straight edge aligned with the drops. But, if your hands creep FORWARD on the lever towards the cables, maybe your reach is the problem? I would think if reach was okay but you couldn't find a comfy spot for your hands you'd tend to slide back, onto the ramps.

Here's how I set the ST-7400s up on my Litespeed - this is with a Highway One bar, using a straight-edge to the bottom of the drops.

EDIT: Looking at your pic, the STIs seem to be past well past the flat portion of the bar, which will tilt your wrists down. Here, the flat ramp of the Highway One leads right into the ramp on the levers. No problem braking or shifting from drops or hoods.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 04-08-24 at 11:49 AM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-24, 11:46 AM
Catnap 

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Had the same issue. It looks weird but I angle the bars and placement of the levers until it aligns with where my hands naturally would be centered on the goods in a natural position. And my fingers are long enough that I can still brake and shift from the drops.

Campys take a bit more fiddling though riding the hoods positioning is easy-peasy.
Perhaps I should put the bike in a stationary trainer and roll the bars up & down until I find the optimal position. I'm fairly certain the stem length is dialed.
Old 04-08-24, 12:17 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Catnap
Perhaps I should put the bike in a stationary trainer and roll the bars up & down until I find the optimal position. I'm fairly certain the stem length is dialed.
I have this same issue. I just think these levers weren't meant for riding on the hoods as much as we do in modern times.
Old 04-08-24, 01:04 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked 3,246 Times in 2,047 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I have this same issue. I just think these levers weren't meant for riding on the hoods as much as we do in modern times.
This is exactly what I figured out. It is less pronounced with early Campy brifters, but the Shimano ones seem to have been devised for predominance in the drops, while the Campys designed for a mixture of drops and hoods (thus the placement of the thumbshifter).
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-08-24, 01:28 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Invest in a fitting.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 04-08-24, 01:29 PM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
look into the Highway One bar bars - it gives a better bar to hood transition with out dropping down to the hood.
Old 04-08-24, 02:19 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 148 Posts
One of my most prized road bikes is a 3Rensho Katana with Modeulo lugs - detailed here in this blog post and this thread. It came to me with a complete Dura Ace 7400 group in excellent condition. I love DA 7400: it's super reliable, easy to set up, and in my opinion has the best styling of any vintage indexed group. The problem is that I just can't seem to get comfortable on the hoods of the ST-7400 shifters.

The initial build as photographed was a 100mm stem with Nitto Mod.177 "Noodle" bars and an 80mm stem. I tried a longer stem earlier and it didn't work for me. The 80mm improved the feel, but still, my hands don't seem to fit right into the shape of the ST-7400s. I'm either riding higher on the hood, with my thumbs on the shift cables and leaving an empty space between my palms & the tops of the hoods, or I'm gripping the bars just behind the hoods.

This weekend, I switched to a 90mm stem and Nitto Mod. 174AA "Fairweather" bars. The Fairweathers are identical to the Noodles (same rearward sweep) but 20mm shallower. Essentially a blend of classic road bars with the shallow reach of modern bars. I tried the combo of the Fairweather bars and an 80mm stem on a different bike that had the same top-tube length (53cm) and the reach was too short; felt cramped. So I sized up to a 90mm stem. Essentially, the overall reach came in 10mm, since the bars were 20mm shorter but I swapped in a 90mm stem that's 10mm longer than my previous.

At first, the new setup felt better, but after 20 minutes of riding, I could feel my hands creeping up on the hoods again. Overall, my hands were still searching for a comfy spot to rest, instead of "locking in" the way they do with a properly fitted cockpit. As a comparison, my other bikes use Campy or SRAM shifters; both the first generation of 1990s Campy hoods and the later second generation early 2000s shape. I don't have any problems getting comfy with any of these three shifter designs.

Any advice / suggestions / perspectives to share? Is it possible that ST-7400 shifters have a shape that just doesn't "work" with my hands? I don't want to switch out the group on the bike, especially because I spent considerable effort and cost to have the cranks pantographed to match the stem and seatpost.

The noodle bars, and copies, force your elbows in OR extreme bend to your wrists. Either way hurts.

You can switch stems all day long, but it wont help.

Look around for Nitto 155
Old 04-08-24, 02:22 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked 3,496 Times in 1,835 Posts
Level the saddle.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-08-24, 03:10 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 242 Posts
Yes, this is probably your best course of action.

If you want to maintain the classic 'look' of the bike/bar then you'll probably have to make some compromises. As others have mentioned, these early brifter aren't the most comfortable for riding on the hoods, especially if you have large hands.

This is how the ST-7400 was setup in 1991.

The angle of the brifters have changed over the years. Shimano began angling the brackets downward when they went to 10 speed. This made the ramp/bracket transition a little straighter. The curve of the bars that were common also changed. Bars went from a rounded 'V' to a more 'U' shape, that provided a better ramp.

Bars like the Highway One and other 'compact' bars took it further.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 04-08-24, 03:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10505 Post(s)
Liked 12,038 Times in 6,165 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Level the saddle.
It's a Brooks. Apparently they work best nose up. Go figure.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-08-24, 05:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked 3,496 Times in 1,835 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It's a Brooks. Apparently they work best nose up. Go figure.
I have many. I can't tolerate anything but level or slightly nose-down, and I am very non-aero.
Old 04-08-24, 05:43 PM
Catnap 

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
The noodle bars, and copies, force your elbows in OR extreme bend to your wrists. Either way hurts.

You can switch stems all day long, but it wont help.

Look around for Nitto 155
surprising advice as I've ridden Noodles exclusively for the past decade and haven't had the issues you're describing.

As I read through this thread, beyond fit issues, there seems to be a consensus that ST-7400s weren't meant for a default position of hands-on-hoods. That, in itself, may be the validation I was looking for. The photo KCT1986 posted is a great reference. I'd be miserable with a cockpit like that, so perhaps I'm just trying to make these shifters fit in a way that they weren't designed to achieve.

regarding saddle angle, I prefer a slight rise to the nose. it helps keep my butt planted on the back of the saddle instead of inching up forwards, which causes numbness after a while.
Old 04-08-24, 08:25 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 242 Posts
surprising advice as I've ridden Noodles exclusively for the past decade and haven't had the issues you're describing.

As I read through this thread, beyond fit issues, there seems to be a consensus that ST-7400s weren't meant for a default position of hands-on-hoods. That, in itself, may be the validation I was looking for. The photo KCT1986 posted is a great reference. I'd be miserable with a cockpit like that, so perhaps I'm just trying to make these shifters fit in a way that they weren't designed to achieve.

regarding saddle angle, I prefer a slight rise to the nose. it helps keep my butt planted on the back of the saddle instead of inching up forwards, which causes numbness after a while.
These era brifters, and the brake levers that it replaced, were not conducive to 'resting' the hands on the bracket/shift mechanism. It works better if it is grabbed with the palms facing inwards or slightly down. Palm down positions are somewhat awkward.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 04-08-24, 09:41 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
My experience with older brifters is that a compact handlebar is necessary to get a the hoods nice and level on top. At the same time, I never liked the way the "hooks" felt on compact bars. For me, brifters force me into that compromise.
Old 04-09-24, 05:12 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked 2,997 Times in 1,813 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
These era brifters, and the brake levers that it replaced, were not conducive to 'resting' the hands on the bracket/shift mechanism.
Nonsense. Riding on the hoods is a perfectly comfortable experience with 7402 levers.
Old 04-09-24, 05:42 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 207 Posts
When I switched to the Soma Hyway one bars, I found that with the compactness of the bars, I had to ADD 30 mm to the stem to get the reach right! ill look for a picture if i can find one
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 04-09-24, 07:52 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Here's about the best I could do, with Soma Hwy Ones.
Likes For shoota:
Old 04-09-24, 09:15 AM
Catnap 

shoota the DA aero levers' hoods do look a bit more comfy that the STIs, but I'm not interested in going to DT shifters on this bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.