Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Who the hell hates drivers who dont know hot to use their turn signal

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 08:10 PM
lambo2124

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I seriously got hit by a car two times (once for this turn signal incident and once for a driver YEILDING at a STOP sign) and had numerous close calls because these idiot drivers dont know how to use their turn signals.
Maybe its because im in NYC,
but anyone else experience these people?

Last edited by lambo2124; 04-18-13 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-18-13, 08:36 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Even when drivers use their turn signals I generally assume that they are inaccurate anyways. Better to just assume that the driver could do anything rather than whatever his signal says. With that being said, as a cyclists I try to signal all my turns when road conditions allow it.
Old 04-18-13, 08:53 PM
FatherAlabaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm an avid biker for transportation and general fitness here in NYC. But, I've also had the misfortune to drive countless hours through the city, mainly for work. It sucks. It's basically a fashion statement for drivers here not to use turn signals. Also, to take corners at speed, and to run lights that have just turned red. And we have a lot of drivers from outside the city who don't know that we don't allow "right-on-red", and drivers from other states or countries who are overwhelmed or just plain confused. And on top of that there's so much going on here that they may not have seen you at all. You'll get a better idea of what drivers are going to do by watching their behavior than by trusting their turn signals. I agree, it would be nice if people were respectful and followed the law, but that kind of thing comes with the territory here. Your best bet is to hang back a little and be sure of the cars around you before bombing through an intersection, and always be ready to slow down before you get to potential problem areas. Don't get hooked, doored, or pinched, and you should be ok.

My single best purchase for safety so far has been lights. They help a ton.
Old 04-18-13, 10:06 PM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lambo2124
That would be the root of your problem.
Old 04-18-13, 11:02 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I have no clue what happened.
Old 04-19-13, 08:20 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Compliance is fairly mixed here in Michigan. Some drivers seem to never use them at all, some are fine, one of the biggest irritations is the people who put their turn signals on halfway through a turn, or when they've already started to change lanes. What the hell is that supposed to accomplish?
Old 04-19-13, 08:33 AM
Turbo231

Bikes: Trek 800, Free Spirit Town and Country, 80's Norco Nomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hard time with people yielding their right of way to me. Maybe its the overly friendly drivers or ones brow beaten by kids not riding correctly, but I HATE it when I'm at a stop sign, the road in front of me has no stop....and people stop so I can cross. Really? I'm at a stop sign and you stop for me? I usually wait, mostly because when THEY yield their right away, someone else might not. I find it quite annoying especially when if they had gone by, I'd be across already.
Old 04-19-13, 08:54 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FatherAlabaster
... It's basically a fashion statement for drivers here not to use turn signals. Also, to take corners at speed, and to run lights that have just turned red. ...
Who the heck do they think they are, cyclists?
Old 04-19-13, 12:46 PM
lambo2124

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FatherAlabaster
I'm an avid biker for transportation and general fitness here in NYC. But, I've also had the misfortune to drive countless hours through the city, mainly for work. It sucks. It's basically a fashion statement for drivers here not to use turn signals. Also, to take corners at speed, and to run lights that have just turned red. And we have a lot of drivers from outside the city who don't know that we don't allow "right-on-red", and drivers from other states or countries who are overwhelmed or just plain confused. And on top of that there's so much going on here that they may not have seen you at all. You'll get a better idea of what drivers are going to do by watching their behavior than by trusting their turn signals. I agree, it would be nice if people were respectful and followed the law, but that kind of thing comes with the territory here. Your best bet is to hang back a little and be sure of the cars around you before bombing through an intersection, and always be ready to slow down before you get to potential problem areas. Don't get hooked, doored, or pinched, and you should be ok.

My single best purchase for safety so far has been lights. They help a ton.

great post I could relate a lot to it : )
Old 04-19-13, 12:49 PM
Dooble
"I'm New Here!"

Bikes: 1987 Fuji Tahoe, 19?? Trek Antelope 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by E.S.
That would be the root of your problem.
Zing my friend, zing.

And salutations from the south.
Old 04-19-13, 01:44 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since I don't much trust turn signals as accurate predictors of vehicle direction changes the lack of them poses few problems.
Old 04-19-13, 01:58 PM
FatherAlabaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Who the heck do they think they are, cyclists?

I know, right? Rabidly dumb behavior is my prerogative!
Old 04-19-13, 11:31 PM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dooble
Zing my friend, zing.

And salutations from the south.
I need to take some vacation time in Southern Idaho. Traveled through but haven't really had the time to enjoy.
Old 04-20-13, 12:44 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lambo2124
I seriously got hit by a car two times (once for this turn signal incident and once for a driver YEILDING at a STOP sign) and had numerous close calls because these idiot drivers dont know how to use their turn signals.
but anyone else experience these people?
I don't even look for their turn signals. I watch their driving to gain idea of what they are doing. Specifically, The direction they turn the front wheels. I also look at the movement of the vehicle. For example, to avoid being left-hooked by someone trying to make a left turn, I let them know I see them, and will not budge, while maintaining speed. Because, I don't want some moron to suddenly try to cut me off.
Old 04-20-13, 09:00 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
For example, to avoid being left-hooked by someone trying to make a left turn, I let them know I see them, and will not budge, while maintaining speed. Because, I don't want some moron to suddenly try to cut me off.
How do you let motorists know you "will not budge while maintaining speed" when they make a sudden left turn in front of you? By crashing into the side of their car at full speed?
Old 04-20-13, 04:39 PM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How do you let motorists know you "will not budge while maintaining speed" when they make a sudden left turn in front of you? By crashing into the side of their car at full speed?
That part is surely ridiculous, but watching their speed is very usefull, of course. Has kept me out of harms way quite a few times. But then, I also slowed down, ready for braking.
Old 04-20-13, 05:00 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I think you need to let them do their thing and watch first before entering the intersection. Or just go behind them.

I learned a long time ago that blind faith was a band with a very risque album cover.

I had a pickup driver looking straight at me once, could've sworn but I was invisible to him and he hit the rear wheel and tacoed it.

So I have lived and learned.

I also learned not to take lithium into your forties, it will clog your kidneys with creatinine and try to kill you...it tried twice and now I'm actually better without it and losing weight now that I'm also off the diabetes pill and strictly on insulin.

Gee, it's funny what you learn if you screw it up twice!
Old 04-22-13, 10:19 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I find the use of turn signals, in general, is inversely related to the price of the vehicle. They never seem to work on Audis and BMWs....
Old 04-22-13, 10:19 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
By staying in the left tire track, or riding the line. Because, My experience has been, by being further out in the lane, and maintaining speed i.e. 20mph in a 30mph zone; when I know they are behind me, tells them, I know they are behind me, and to not try to pass me on the road in question with the road's limitations(unless it is a four-lane road). I do this, remembering what (former)Dr. Christopher Thompson pulled out in L.A.
Old 04-22-13, 10:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
By staying in the left tire track, or riding the line. Because, My experience has been, by being further out in the lane, and maintaining speed i.e. 20mph in a 30mph zone; when I know they are behind me, tells them, I know they are behind me, and to not try to pass me on the road in question with the road's limitations(unless it is a four-lane road). I do this, remembering what (former)Dr. Christopher Thompson pulled out in L.A.
How does that help you "avoid being left-hooked by someone trying to make a left turn, [when you] let them know [you] see them, and will not budge, while maintaining speed. "
Old 04-23-13, 12:31 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How does that help you "avoid being left-hooked by someone trying to make a left turn, [when you] let them know [you] see them, and will not budge, while maintaining speed. "
When there is a left-turn, which I would also be intending to make, along with the motorist behind me. I would get into the center of the lane, before I start to make the turn, keeping the center of the turn. Using my road position to make it clear, not just what I was doing. But also, what I didn't want them to do.
Old 04-29-13, 03:03 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Just stay on the side of the road and use the intersection. Going there by not going there. Nobody wants you in the middle of their streets, not here and especially not the police. Wait for traffic to break or use the crosswalks when they stop.

Advice learned from living in a town of 9000 plus for 29 years. Nobody believes you are a car and assumptions are harmful to your health.