Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has GCN Jumped the Shark?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Has GCN Jumped the Shark?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 03:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by beermode
Can't stand Bike Radar, they grate me. The weird slow mo shots repeated for every bike review looks silly.
The only one that doesn't bug me is their American editor.
The guy in CO? Ben something, maybe? Yeah, he's the only one I like, too.
Old 04-04-18, 06:15 PM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Agreed. Dustin Klein is my favorite bike-related YouTube channel right now.

GCN is too racing focused, uses too much sponsored content (especially recently, almost every episode is a thinly-veiled ad) and repeats itself too often. GMBN has similarly lost a step with too many silly nonsense videos and useless "reviews". Bikeradar has more inventive content, more engaging hosts, a more irreverent attitude, a wider scope and very complete reviews.

One thing I've noticed is all three suffer from UK riding condition and cycling culture biases to various degrees. For example, GCN doesn't seem to understand gravel bikes as there are no gravel roads in the UK. Similarly, GMBN's idea of what constitutes "winter riding" is alien to me as a Chicagoan. Etc. Bikeradar at least has a US editor. I'd love to see a channel on cycling culture in Japan, personally.
the Rides of Japan produce some nice vlog, though not regularly
Old 04-04-18, 06:28 PM
bleui

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Some of their riders bug the **** out of me but I'm not exactly sure why. It's one or two skinny guys in particular. It's like they look the part of cyclists, physically, but their movement on the bike looks totally awkward, like they're new to riding and they're on bikes that are two sizes too big. Compare that to the GCN presenters who look so comfortable that they come off almost annoyingly casual at speed.
I get that impression as well with bikeradar.
I believe all the GCN guys & gal used to race professionally, so their posture and fitting on a bike is spot on, especially Simon
Old 04-04-18, 08:16 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I’m sitting on the couch watching some GCN right now. Things have changed, but it’s for the better IMO. I really liked their sponsored content “bucket list” video where they rode on Gran Canaria. Made me add that island to my dream destination list. Emma is definitely a great addition as well.
Old 04-04-18, 08:17 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well if they channel is to survive, they need to figure out ways to monetize from it cause it's not just 4-5 people behind GCN vids, quite many people are involved actually.

I don't really care if the contents are sponsored or not, as long as the vids are still good, I'll watch them and considering they actually even mention sponsored content makes it even better.

I actually want to see more Epic Rides so I hope they do get more sponsor to do those kind of vids
Old 04-04-18, 08:22 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
Well if they channel is to survive, they need to figure out ways to monetize from it cause it's not just 4-5 people behind GCN vids, quite many people are involved actually.

I don't really care if the contents are sponsored or not, as long as the vids are still good, I'll watch them and considering they actually even mention sponsored content makes it even better.

I actually want to see more Epic Rides so I hope they do get more sponsor to do those kind of vids

It doesn't take that many people. Shoot local news stations barely need 5 people do do local news reporting, including the person holding the microphone.

Most places that employ more than the title talent...list them on their site:

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/presenters

For the life of me I can't find a listing of off-camera/studio or office workers of GCN.
Old 04-04-18, 08:30 PM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, on set/location, 5 will probably cut it but what about the admin/management, video editors and script writing people? They need to be paid as well.

And if you look at https://www.playsportsnetwork.com/jobs/ which is the company behind GCN and such, they're hiring so probably they're a lot more staff behind the scenes then we know.
Old 04-04-18, 09:04 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
Yeah, on set/location, 5 will probably cut it but what about the admin/management, video editors and script writing people? They need to be paid as well.

And if you look at https://www.playsportsnetwork.com/jobs/ which is the company behind GCN and such, they're hiring so probably they're a lot more staff behind the scenes then we know.

On set/location you only need the person or people on camera...and if there are moving-camera action shots the guy holding the camera. 5 people on-location is a waste of money and manpower, least it would be considered such in the US. IOW, it is how as a company you bleed money and are no longer able to pay your bills.

If you ever look for local job listings for local TV stations...it is why you never see hirings for cameramen. Multiple cameras on set are pre-rigged. Just need someone to operate the video switcher. This is also why most local news stations have static camera views when someone is speaking in frame....the person on camera is also the person who setup the camera and who hit the record/broadcast button, and the excess is trimmed out in post-production.

PSN being a larger company and GCN being owned by them, has an office staff. Plenty of professional-quality YT channels are just a couple of guys. I could easily see GCN only being run by the presenters-it isn't that hard, especially with how good, and mobile, and honestly cheap consumer level cameras and video editing have gotten.
Old 04-04-18, 09:28 PM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do believe they already cut their cost cause if you look at their recent how-tos/travel vids, it's usually only 2 riders wheres previously they're 3 riders.

Ignoring their studio vids, they're likely 1 cameraman, 1 for sound and 1 more to assist (be it for the camera, sound or driving them around).

And how do PSN makes money then if not from their YT vids, merchandise and sponsors?

The presenters are cyclists, I doubt they'll be able to do good video edits, let alone record them. Selfie videos are possible but tracking shots, multi-cam and then editing and then script writing is way above the presenter's skillset and we all know their background to begin with.

And I'm quite curious, which professional YT channels that have similar production level as GCN? As from those that I saw, it's usually just 1 person on the camera and they're doing selfie/GoPro recording, hardly any tracking or multi-cam vids.
Old 04-05-18, 02:40 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some of their riders bug the **** out of me but I'm not exactly sure why. It's one or two skinny guys in particular. It's like they look the part of cyclists, physically, but their movement on the bike looks totally awkward, like they're new to riding and they're on bikes that are two sizes too big. Compare that to the GCN presenters who look so comfortable that they come off almost annoyingly casual at speed.
forgot about cyclingweekly, which is the other one.

their presenter oliver bridgewood (?) is a high level recreational cyclist. he does some blogs and recaps of events, which is a pretty interesting take for a couch-cyclist
Old 04-05-18, 04:49 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by floridamtb
Used to get upset when the girlfriend would get all frisky after listening to Simon, but now she's jealous that I get frisky after listening to Emma
Thanks for the morning smile!!!
Old 04-05-18, 11:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
GCN would definitely not be the same as a DIY production. I've worked behind the scenes on many film and video productions, years ago, from feature films to training films and PSAs. The skills are entirely different, as are the personalities.

There's a reason why the on-camera folks are called "the talent". Most folks whose expertise is behind the camera don't have the talent to be engaging on camera. I've said before that it's remarkable enough that GCN snagged a group of photogenic and engaging cyclists who are consistently good on camera. If you look back over the history of GCN back a few years ago, that wasn't always the case. Not naming names, but there's a difference between a good former pro athlete who happens to be likable and a buddy, and one who's also good on camera. The history of sportscasting is filled with examples of likable jocks who were duds on camera.

And pre-/post-production work is time consuming and exhausting. Nobody can handle all of those tasks equally well and still generate more than one quality short video once or twice a month.

The bike fit adviser videos have the look of a DIY project. Static camera. Videos are generally too long. Lots of choppy edits to compensate for the emms and errrs and trying to remember what to say next because there's no script or at least an outline of what to discuss, and no second or third takes to get it right. Don't get me wrong, the guy does well enough for the topic. He speaks well, is engaging and I've put his tips to good use. But it's not on the pro production level of GCN, not even close.

And RJ the Bike Guy is a pretty good example of a totally DIY production. While it's obviously amateurish it's functional and gets the job done. I can think of a zillion other DIY video tutorials on YouTube that are completely unwatchable. RJ does pretty well for a totally DIY guy.
Old 04-05-18, 12:15 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I used to watch GCN religiously when I first started riding a few years ago. I still watch it but it's not the same frequency, mainly because a lot of their topics are aimed at newer riders and while I like some of the workshop stuff to fix things, the training stuff doesn't really appeal as much to me as I'm well beyond a lot of basics they cover (I instead tune in to trainerroad's podcast/live stream for the real training geekery).

and I'll agree with the above that RJ has a good channel, I've done a lot stuff thanks to his clear tutorials, and I've also seen a ton of amateur DIY stuff that is beyond useless.

not bike related, but I've recently taken to watching Paul Davids' channel, he's a guitar guy in Holland and makes me want to pick up playing the guitar again.
Old 04-05-18, 01:17 PM
beermode

Bikes: 2011 Spec Allez w/ new stuff, 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
GCN would definitely not be the same as a DIY production. I've worked behind the scenes on many film and video productions, years ago, from feature films to training films and PSAs. The skills are entirely different, as are the personalities.

There's a reason why the on-camera folks are called "the talent". Most folks whose expertise is behind the camera don't have the talent to be engaging on camera. I've said before that it's remarkable enough that GCN snagged a group of photogenic and engaging cyclists who are consistently good on camera. If you look back over the history of GCN back a few years ago, that wasn't always the case. Not naming names, but there's a difference between a good former pro athlete who happens to be likable and a buddy, and one who's also good on camera. The history of sportscasting is filled with examples of likable jocks who were duds on camera.

And pre-/post-production work is time consuming and exhausting. Nobody can handle all of those tasks equally well and still generate more than one quality short video once or twice a month.

The bike fit adviser videos have the look of a DIY project. Static camera. Videos are generally too long. Lots of choppy edits to compensate for the emms and errrs and trying to remember what to say next because there's no script or at least an outline of what to discuss, and no second or third takes to get it right. Don't get me wrong, the guy does well enough for the topic. He speaks well, is engaging and I've put his tips to good use. But it's not on the pro production level of GCN, not even close.

And RJ the Bike Guy is a pretty good example of a totally DIY production. While it's obviously amateurish it's functional and gets the job done. I can think of a zillion other DIY video tutorials on YouTube that are completely unwatchable. RJ does pretty well for a totally DIY guy.
I know what you mean. GMBN doesn't have the same magic as GCN, IMHO. It's still plenty watchable though, can't say the same for others. I'll probably get more into as my MTB gets built up.

For now, Seth's Bike Hacks is my primary MTB consumption.

The guy in CO? Ben something, maybe? Yeah, he's the only one I like, too.
Yes, that guy.
Old 04-05-18, 01:53 PM
eugkim

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really get a kick out of some of the GCN segments. The Taiwan KOM challenge gets me peeing my pants with laughter. Simon and Matt make great banter. Simon's dry wit always keeps me interested - he moans to himself "it's like the longest half-K ever.." while suffering at the end of the climb. In another video of him comparing a standard and compact setup on the Montirolo, he says to the statue of Pantani, "you're 15 kilos lighter, and have twice the number of red blood cells..." The guy has a knack for being on camera. Emma would be great if she could take a public speaking class. Needs to articulate and speak more slowly and louder.

The commercials don't bother me. Everyone has to make a living. They don't throw it in your face. Frankly, Trek, Orbea, Canyon, Kask and Assos are smart to sponsor them. I'd take advantage of their position if I were them. I had more of a problem when news oriented programs (ESPN for example) started the sponsored segments.
Old 04-05-18, 02:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, Emma is a bit dry but she's a great foil for Matt and Simon. I don't have any difficulty understanding her voice, although I wonder how a London native developed that slight Welsh vocal mannerism. Occasionally I hear a bit of Aimee-Ffion Edwards in Emma's voice. She'll grow into the role, though. Even top pro actors struggle in their first few episodes.

(A bit of a digression, but Laurence Fishburne was ridiculous in the first few episodes of Hannibal but soon made the role his own. Same with Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles in the pilot episode of Fringe, but with some tweaking of his character and scripts he became essential to the show.)
Old 04-05-18, 04:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by beermode
I know what you mean. GMBN doesn't have the same magic as GCN, IMHO.
The least charismatic GCN presenter, regardless of who one might think that is, has more charisma than all of the GMBN presenters combined.
Old 04-05-18, 05:45 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

The least charismatic GCN presenter, regardless of who one might think that is, has more charisma than all of the GMBN presenters combined.
Definitely used to be Tom Last when he first started appearing on the weekly show. He's gotten a lot better, though, and seems to show a bit of personality now.
Old 04-05-18, 09:09 PM
timsmcm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GCN to me is great. Tons of personality from the characters. Serious when need be. Jovial and jaunty. Bringing high quality cycling info, training and reviews to the averge joe or josephine bIke rider. Great channel that I will continue to watch and support for years to come hopefully.
Old 04-05-18, 09:58 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I'm gonna sound like a dick, but I just can't take GCN or any of this British stuff seriously. They are basically America-lite. I tried watching some GCN stuff, and it feels like something I would have seen from Chris Carmichael back in the LA days. It just comes across as been-there-done-that, like 10 years ago. Pretty funny, considering Britain is going through the exact same LA/cycling infatuation thing like 15 years after 'murica did it. If you missed anything we did a decade ago, Britain will redo it now, in a very pleasing and civilized way.
Old 04-06-18, 07:19 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by cthenn
I'm gonna sound like a dick, but I just can't take GCN or any of this British stuff seriously. They are basically America-lite. I tried watching some GCN stuff, and it feels like something I would have seen from Chris Carmichael back in the LA days. It just comes across as been-there-done-that, like 10 years ago. Pretty funny, considering Britain is going through the exact same LA/cycling infatuation thing like 15 years after 'murica did it. If you missed anything we did a decade ago, Britain will redo it now, in a very pleasing and civilized way.
Chris Carmichael was putting out weekly videos full of cycling content 10+ years ago? Huh, must have missed it.
Old 04-06-18, 08:07 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Wait... what?!?
Old 04-06-18, 08:22 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
troll alert
Old 04-06-18, 09:41 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
Yeah, but you basically sit on it and alternate pushing down with your right foot and then your left foot (or is it left, then right, that could be one video) so there's only so much to say about that. It's entertaining and harmless, flat earth videos, now there's something that needs to be explored in depth...
Old 04-06-18, 01:47 PM
eboos

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timsmcm
GCN to me is great. Tons of personality from the characters. Serious when need be. Jovial and jaunty. Bringing high quality cycling info, training and reviews to the averge joe or josephine bIke rider. Great channel that I will continue to watch and support for years to come hopefully.
I absolutely agree. However, the Wiggle Wheel of Fortune is a corny ad.

I also agree that Tom Last was the least entertaining personality. Is he even still an active presenter?

For good American cycling channels, check out the Vegan Cyclist. Don't let the title fool you, he is not preachy about being vegan, it is just his thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.