Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Could use some help deciding on a new gravel bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 11:12 PM
Deskdreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been out of the biking scene for a while, and originally set out to buy a new road bike. Gravel/Adventure bikes didn't exist when I last bought a decent bike, so it's thrown a wrench in my plans. I think it would make sense for me since I live next to a gravel road which provides me direct access to different parts of town, and also paved bike trails. I was already planning on getting an endurance bike anyways, so might as well capitalize on the tire options.

Trying to keep my budget under $1500, but I have some questions:

Aluminum vs Steel vs Carbon:
It sounds like alloy frames are not as harsh as they used to be. Carbon seems like it would be out of my budget, and steel bikes are surprisingly expensive now as well, at least the ones with decent components. Since I'll probably be riding tires that are around or above 30mm, I'm sure that makes the ride that much more comfortable. Doesn't it sound unreasonable to stretch my budget to switch to a different frame material if weight is not a huge concern for me? Should I look more into a chromoly frame?

Weight:
Looking at my budget, I'm looking at bike between 22-25 lbs. Does that sound about right for a gravel bike in my price range? Does it even matter?

Do any of these features really matter to a casual rider?
thru-axles, hydralic brakes, components past tiagra-range, tubeless tires

Bikes I'm considering (and concerns or likes about each one):

- Marin Nicasio
Cheapest bike on the list at $750, but it's butted steel, probably heavier than 25 lbs. The frame can take lots of bottle cages and fenders which is nice. Unsure how much bike shop support I'll see, and I haven't read much about it either.
- Giant Revolt
Seems like a decent deal at $870, but only Claris components. 700x38 tires seem pretty big
- Fuji Tread
Test rode this and it felt comfortable, but it didn't feel as "snappy" or as quick as the Jari 1.3 I also test rode. It also seemed to be geared pretty low. Also the aluminum frame did seem a little basic, with very round tubes and largish seat stays. Brakes felt ok.
- Specialized Diverge A1 or E5
Seems like a decent bike right under $1000.
- Fuji Jari 1.7
Doesn't seem like a bad deal at $1200. I like the splayed dropouts and internal cabling. Lots of cages and bosses too. I just haven't heard as much about it as the 1.1 - 1.3. Not sure if it still has a full-carbon fork and if the frame is the same. I know it has quick-release all the way through, but that doesn't matter much to me.
- GT Grade 105
I've heard good things about this bike, but mostly the carbon models. At $1460, it does come with 105 components, but I better be damn sure I like riding on gravel at this price.
Thanks for any information those of you can share. Can't wait to get out there, whatever bike it is!

Last edited by Deskdreamer; 08-12-17 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-17, 11:41 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jari 1.7 is the same frame as the higher end Jaris, and has the carbon fork. I think it is $1100 at Performance and right now they have 20% back in Performance cashback, so you would be looking at around $900 (you could use the $220 cashback for upgrades, accessories, etc). It's a good deal and I love, love, love the paintjob. I don't like those flared handlebars and it weighs 24lb. Takes up to 42c tires though.

Performance also has the Jari 1.4 LE Performance exclusive. It's got 105 and mechanical discs, thru-axles.

If you don't need rack mounts, look at Raleigh Roker, it's carbon and ticks all your boxes and is in your price range with corporate discount. Up to 45c tires. There's also the aluminum version, the Willard, for much cheaper, and the Willard does have rack mounts.
Old 08-13-17, 09:16 AM
Deskdreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks curttard, I'll have to check out the Roker too.
Old 08-13-17, 10:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1) pick a bike shop ,, then select a bike from the brands they sell.. want internet opinions? narrow it down to bikes you can test ride.
Old 08-13-17, 10:36 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Unless the gravel that you'll be riding is essentially rock free on the tire tracks, I'd plan for running a wider tire than a 30, unless of course the only gravel you really intend to ride is short sections to get yourself to pavement. Most gravel bikes will accomplish the necessary clearance quite easily. I have no easy access to the Fuji models you list, or the Jaris, but the Gt grade and diverge are solid choices.

Regarding materials, I've had no real issues running down gravel on cromoly framed/forked, aluminum with crmoly forks, all aluminum, or aluminum with carbon forks. I can tell a difference, but by far the biggest mitigation to chatter was having good supple tires (seldom oem stock) at a lower tire pressure, and a comfortable saddle.
Old 08-13-17, 06:30 PM
Deskdreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
1) pick a bike shop ,, then select a bike from the brands they sell.. want internet opinions? narrow it down to bikes you can test ride.
These are the bikes I have test rode:
'17 Specialized Allez
Trek Domane
Fuji Tread 1.3
'18 Specialized Diverge Comp
Fuji Jari 1.3
Cannondale Synapse Disc
Cannondale CAADX 104

Bikes that I can have shipped to test:
Specialized Diverge Sport ($1150)
GT Grade Tiagra ($1100)
Fuji Jari 1.7 ($1200)

I think it's probably going to be between the Jari 1.7 and the Diverge Sport
Old 08-14-17, 02:18 PM
Soonerinfrisco

Bikes: Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the Grade, Diverge, Roker or Jari would be a great choice for what you are stating that you want. Also you might consider the Raleigh Willard. Of those the Roker is full carbon the others are AL. I have the Jari 1.4 from Performance. It is very road worthy but works well on gravel. All the bikes you are listing do have that in common. I think they all will accommodate 38mm tires or wider? My road bike is a Domane SL6 disc and the Jari geometry is nearly identical (Domane 58, Jari 56). I specifically picked the Jari as it has 12mm thru axles, same as my Domane, so that I can swap wheelsets. The Roker, Grade and Jari are both probably 22-23 lbs in the price range you are looking. The Diverge is probably 25lbs. Jari and Raleigh will probably be your best value as far as components and wheels. The grade has much more aggressive geometry I think.

Good luck!
Old 08-14-17, 05:31 PM
Deskdreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Soonerinfrisco
I think the Grade, Diverge, Roker or Jari would be a great choice for what you are stating that you want. Also you might consider the Raleigh Willard. Of those the Roker is full carbon the others are AL. I have the Jari 1.4 from Performance. It is very road worthy but works well on gravel. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. It looks like they are out of stock on the 1.4 unfortunately. Otherwise that might be the one.
Old 08-14-17, 08:30 PM
ATPAH

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Consider the Diverge E5 Comp, too. It lists at $1,800, but if you are sticking to one bike shop, they'll often give you a 10% discount from the Specialized retail price, even on new, hard-to-stock bikes, because they want to build a loyal clientele. With a 105 build kit, a proven alloy frame, and the Axis Elite wheelset, not to mention the Future Shock if that's for you, that's a really good deal. I know that cashflow can limit options, but if you can scare-up the extra $150, you'll have a bike that won't need upgrades other than new tires when the time comes.
Old 08-14-17, 09:33 PM
Deskdreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's actually the bike I test rode and I liked it. And it would come with the future shock as well.
Old 08-14-17, 09:43 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
+1

A local shop.... a bike that feels right (to you)... and in the right color. You may not remember exactly what you paid for the bike in a couple years. But if it doesn't fit right and feel good... whatever you pay will be a waste.
Old 08-14-17, 09:58 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
A bike shop += 1

I would favor the Diverge or Grade myself.
Old 08-15-17, 05:00 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Soonerinfrisco
The Roker, Grade and Jari are both probably 22-23 lbs in the price range you are looking. The Diverge is probably 25lbs. Jari and Raleigh will probably be your best value as far as components and wheels. The grade has much more aggressive geometry I think.

Good luck!
FWIW, I test rode the Jari 1.7 and the Diverge E5 Comp and weighed them both. The Jari weighed 24 and the Diverge 22.5.
Old 08-15-17, 05:31 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ATPAH
Consider the Diverge E5 Comp, too. It lists at $1,800, but if you are sticking to one bike shop, they'll often give you a 10% discount from the Specialized retail price, even on new, hard-to-stock bikes, because they want to build a loyal clientele. With a 105 build kit, a proven alloy frame, and the Axis Elite wheelset, not to mention the Future Shock if that's for you, that's a really good deal. I know that cashflow can limit options, but if you can scare-up the extra $150, you'll have a bike that won't need upgrades other than new tires when the time comes.
Wow, 10% discount? That would be $1620. None of the shops around here will come close. When I emailed about a dozen shops this spring to see what they could do on the 2017 Elite DSW, lists at $1400, one offered $1350 and the rest said they couldn't go lower than list.

The shop I've decided on for the 2018 E5 Comp will only do list, and only offered 5% off for the floor model ($1710) which has a small paint chip in the top tube.
Old 08-16-17, 10:22 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Here's a couple to throw into the mix. I just signed up for a corporate account at Diamondback (Code - CYCLE4PERK) and they have some good discounts.

Ultegra/hydros/40c/thru axles/flat mounts $1,454.99

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bik...njo-trail-2292

Same except for Apex 1 $1,094.99

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bik...el/haanjo-comp
Old 08-16-17, 03:33 PM
Deskdreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey All,

First of all, thanks for all of the advice and input. With an individual starting budget of $800, it quickly jumped up to $1800 when I seriously considered the Specialized Diverge Comp E5.

I ultimately came back down closer to my initial budget and got this Fuji Tread 1.0 for $930 even + tax.

(Can't post links on the forum yet, but if you go to the Performance Bike website, you'll see it listed there for $1000, with a $500 discount, and also $100 off for becoming a member after signing up for $30.)

Bike Highlights:

- Spyre Brakes
- 105 Drivetrain (Not the crank)
- Clement X'Plor USH 700x35 tires
- Frame: Double butted, tapered headtube. Room for bigger tires.