Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 09:34 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Profide actually takes some of the slickness out of the Brooks.
Old 07-16-10, 09:37 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lil'hobo
Hey gang,

Here's my commuter. While I can't commute to work on it, I do use it for almost all of my errands around the neighborhood. It's a 90 or 91 Raleigh Talon I purchased new. Other than a little issue with the headset it has been bulletproof for 20 years of riding. Recent additions of the fenders, slick style tires, and Ergon grips made it much more comfortable.

Also attached is my road bike that I use for exercise and when I want to get somewhere a bit quicker. It is literally half as heavy as my Raleigh, and even older. It's an 85 Maruishi. I just seem to like older bikes I guess.

Wow... those are some great looking bikes! They still look brand new. I have a Raleigh of similar vintage, but it's not nearly in as good a shape as yours. Still a solid commuter, though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4801009866_cb49e916f8_m..jpg (37.0 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by irclean; 07-16-10 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 10:57 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
"After years of admiring everyone else, I sprung for a Brooks B17 saddle last week. Right now it is a b---h - I find I keep sliding forward on the smooth leather and driving the wedge into my perineum, so I'm pushing against the handlebar to keep my sits bones on the right spot. I hear that over time the leather will soften and shape to my sits bones - won't be a moment too soon when that finally happens."

Your saddle is tipped too far forward and this is what is causing the slippage... set it level or with the nose up just a little and you will notice an incredible difference in comfort.
Old 07-17-10, 01:50 AM
AaronJohnTurner

Bikes: 2010 Trek Vlaencia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is mine, less the panniers for commuting since my commute is only 3km each direction. I do however make one or two trips a week into the city 35km away for shopping or fun, then the panniers are welcome for the ride!
Old 07-17-10, 10:37 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by governorgeneral

For now, keeping the heavy cargo on my back, and the lighter stuff on that seatpost rack, eg:

That's a nice, clean ride. I'll second the recommendation to get a rear rack that mounts to the conveniently provided braze-ons rather than the seatpost rack. Then you could get a couple of grocery panniers and load'er up! No backpack needed.

Nice bike, and proofide the bottom and top of the saddle (I found treating the top helped with the slickness) - let it sit overnight and buff the saddle (the leather will pretty much absorb whatever you put on initially).
I tried a trick recommended on these forums, and it has really worked for me (after my initial proofide treatment): Dampen a towel and wring it as dry as possible. fold the towel and drape it over the saddle overnight. Ride. I've only done this once, but the saddle is noticeably more compliant and is beginning to form to my body.
Old 07-17-10, 12:48 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Updates... Upgrades!

My trusty Schwinn hybrid is approaching my vision for it; the latest updates include:

New cyclocomputer and freshening of the cockpit,

and a new MEC QR saddlebag.

She's really starting to look and ride like a functional commuter (IMHO)!

All she needs now is a rigid fork and seatpost to be complete. Oh, and a new wheelset. And maybe a Tiagra triple crank & matching dérailleur. And then a Deore LX rear dérailleur & cassette. Of course then I would need the matching Deore brakes and controls...
Old 07-17-10, 02:20 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Nice cockpit setup, irclean!
Old 07-17-10, 04:02 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
Nice cockpit setup, irclean!
Thanks! (blushing)
Old 07-17-10, 07:56 PM
governorgeneral

Bikes: Kona Smoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
^^^Nice Kona! Love the Dapper Dan grips and Brooks saddle; very classy! May I ask, why the seat post rack, and not one that mounts to your rear eyelets? Do you ever ride with panniers?
That's a nice, clean ride. I'll second the recommendation to get a rear rack that mounts to the conveniently provided braze-ons rather than the seatpost rack. Then you could get a couple of grocery panniers and load'er up! No backpack needed.
I wanted to get a regular rack and panniers to go along, but my fenders came with this funny hookup that didn't let the rack hook on to the frame braze-ons:

No panniers - I guess I could mount them to the seatpost rack and hope the fender struts keep the bags away from the rear wheel, but I'd still be capped on the max weight. Plus the seatpost rack is relatively high and likely would be unstable with extra weight. I suppose I should just get new fenders.

BTW - do you have anymore of those "bait bike" stickers? I'd love to get my hands on a couple of those.
Unfortunately no. I actually checked the Victoria Police website to see if they had a contact you could ask, but they don't even mention it. I wonder if they still do it.

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Your saddle is tipped too far forward and this is what is causing the slippage... set it level or with the nose up just a little and you will notice an incredible difference in comfort.
Yes! Relief. I don't know why I didn't think of that - I guess I just read all the horror stories about the first rides on a new Brooks and just figured that was it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Grim
Profide actually takes some of the slickness out of the Brooks.
Nice bike, and proofide the bottom and top of the saddle (I found treating the top helped with the slickness) - let it sit overnight and buff the saddle (the leather will pretty much absorb whatever you put on initially). I tried a trick recommended on these forums, and it has really worked for me (after my initial proofide treatment): Dampen a towel and wring it as dry as possible. fold the towel and drape it over the saddle overnight. Ride. I've only done this once, but the saddle is noticeably more compliant and is beginning to form to my body.
Thanks for the tips! How long was your breaking-in time? Unfortunately the LBS I got the saddle from didn't have the Proofide (the guy recommended mink oil), and none of the local shops stock it. I see various concoctions recommended online and probably should've done at least some treatment before riding... but I just couldn't help myself.

My trusty Schwinn hybrid is approaching my vision for it; the latest updates include: New cyclocomputer and freshening of the cockpit,

Ergo grips AND the handlebar - nice! Where do you find your hands spend most of the time? That might be my next big upgrade after some new fenders and rear rack.

She's really starting to look and ride like a functional commuter (IMHO)! All she needs now is a rigid fork and seatpost to be complete. Oh, and a new wheelset. And maybe a Tiagra triple crank & matching dérailleur. And then a Deore LX rear dérailleur & cassette. Of course then I would need the matching Deore brakes and controls...
I know all about that feeling!
Old 07-17-10, 08:58 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You could use P clips on the legs of the rack. Thats how I did it on my M400 C-Dale.
Old 07-17-10, 10:36 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unfortunately no. I actually checked the Victoria Police website to see if they had a contact you could ask, but they don't even mention it. I wonder if they still do it.

Ergo grips AND the handlebar - nice! Where do you find your hands spend most of the time? That might be my next big upgrade after some new fenders and rear rack.
Bummer about the sticker, but thanks for checking!

I spend most of my time on the sides - it sort of mimics riding on the hoods with drop bars. It feels very natural and reaching back to use the controls became intuitive after a very short while. As for a big upgrade - the bars, stem, and bar tape cost me about $60 all told. The improvement over my flat bars... priceless!
Old 07-17-10, 10:45 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by AaronJohnTurner

This is mine, less the panniers for commuting since my commute is only 3km each direction. I do however make one or two trips a week into the city 35km away for shopping or fun, then the panniers are welcome for the ride!
This is a really good looking bicycle...
Old 07-18-10, 04:47 PM
trek79fx

Bikes: trek 7.9 fx , specialized s-works roubaix sl2, lynskey titanium rs230

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is my trek 7.9 fx with winwood fork, disk brake front, carbon fiber rack, bontrager sattelite handle bars, fsa megaexo light crank, selle smp glider seat and lots of lights.
it uses the night rider newt headlamps and has swiss dt wheels with ultremo marathon plus 700x32 wheels with a basic ultegra rear and front deraileur. And yes I carry both a gun and pepper spray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0386..jpg (100.5 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by trek79fx; 07-18-10 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 07-18-10, 06:40 PM
canyoneagle

I wanted to get a regular rack and panniers to go along, but my fenders came with this funny hookup that didn't let the rack hook on to the frame braze-ons:
You can install a rack in the same spot - just use longer (stainless) screws and washers. Works like a charm.
Old 07-18-10, 09:48 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trek79fx
here is my trek 7.9 fx with winwood fork, disk brake front, carbon fiber rack, bontrager sattelite handle bars, fsa megaexo light crank, selle smp glider seat and lots of lights.
it uses the night rider newt headlamps and has swiss dt wheels with ultremo marathon plus 700x32 wheels with a basic ultegra rear and front deraileur. And yes I carry both a gun and pepper spray.
That is a sweet ride. I hope you never have to use the gun or pepper spray protecting it.

You can install a rack in the same spot - just use longer (stainless) screws and washers. Works like a charm.
I was wondering the same thing. It often seems that the simplest solutions work the best.
Old 07-21-10, 09:35 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
My first 'commuter' bike. I've been commuting mostly by mountain bike..and lately been switching off to my newly acquired road bike(when the weather permits). My ideal bike would have disc brakes, but my Wife won't let me spend any real money on another bike at this time.

I found this on CL for $60. It is a 93 720 Multitrack. I bought it from the original owner. It looked like it has been sitting in a shed since new(grease and dirt coated with very little wear on anything). I changed out the seat, stem, bars,shifters and brakes because I wanted to run flat bars and get rid of the grip shifters. I found some $15 Michelins(another CL find) to replace the dried out original Trek/Cheng shin tires. All of the other parts I had lying around, so my total monetary investment is $75.

I gave it a quick tune and cleaned it up. The spokes on the wheels were all rusty, so I have more time in the wheels, than on anything else. I found that 2 different grades of steel wool along with some metal polish works the best for this project(I hate cleaning spokes). I still have more spoke cleaning to do(all bikes should come with stainless spokes). All of the drive-train feels as good as new. I don't think this bike has very many miles on it.

I understand that this is just a mediocre frame with a low grade Shimano group(Altus A20), but for what I need and can afford, it will suffice. I've put about 125 miles on it since I picked it up last weekend, and it feels pretty good. It is definitely faster on the road than my MTB. I would like to get a stem that moves the bars forward a little more, but that's a minor issue. It came with a rack, but I took it off to clean up, and haven't decided whether to run with it or not... yet. I will get some fenders for it soon, and mount a light.

I've browsed through the pics on this thread, and there are some very ...very nice bikes. Someday I'll upgrade to more modern technology, but for now, my wife is happy that I didn't break the bank, but still got myself something to trek to work on.

Here are some before and after photos.

Last edited by Roger M; 07-21-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-21-10, 03:11 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^@ Roger M: You're like the poster boy for "How to get started as a bicycle commuter." That is an awesome first commuter; IMHO you did everything right, but personally I would reinstall the rack (function over form). Whenever newbies ask how to get started they should read your post! I sure wish I had... you would've saved me a lot of aggravation. BTW keep at it and you will prove to your better half that you're serious about commuting and maybe she'll soften up when it comes time to buy your dream bike.
Old 07-21-10, 03:20 PM
canyoneagle

RogerM,
That is a stellar find, and is definitely another case in point for the potential values that can be found (amidst the total junk) in the Craigslist treasure trove.

Nice job!
Old 07-21-10, 04:27 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Thanks Irclean and Canyon.

The rack will probably go back on this week, but I have to clean it up first and refurbish the rusty hardware. I've been riding with a backpack for so long, I don't know what or if I'll ever strap anything to the rack.

On a different note, I have found that the 7 speed works OK, but wished for an 8 or 9.

Last edited by Roger M; 07-21-10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 08:45 PM
Grim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a 720 and it was a decent rider. I really enjoyed it. 4130 tig welded double butted frame as I recall. Pretty light for a hybrid.

Mine was a 91 I think and it had suntour index shifters that were JUNK. Be glad yours has the Altus. The bike is pretty close to a touring Geometry. Those will convert to drop bar without much fuss. The older ones came with touring forks complete with mid fork brazeon.

I'd keep the rack. Damn handy on a commuter. Slap some Freddy fenders on it get a cheap trunk bag and ride the hell out of it!
Old 07-22-10, 09:09 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

1999 Trek Multitrack - great bike for 100km commutes that have a bit if everything.
Old 07-22-10, 09:13 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sixty Fiver, what is the black thing holding the vertical silver rod?

z
Old 07-22-10, 10:15 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by azesty
Sixty Fiver, what is the black thing holding the vertical silver rod?

z
That has been the question of the day... it is a stoker stem (I helped make this) for a friend's tandem and the silver rod is the seat post which is attached to a saddle.
Old 07-22-10, 09:15 PM
shubonker
danke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
That has been the question of the day... it is a stoker stem (I helped make this) for a friend's tandem and the silver rod is the seat post which is attached to a saddle.
I've got a big load too

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 07-22-10, 11:14 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by shubonker
I've got a big load too

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Nice... yesterday I was packing my work clothes, rain gear, tools, and a set of tandem cranks for my own bike.

Plan to send a bunch of this stuff out ahead by car on the weekend and then I can lighten up my ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.