Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bought - 80's Bianchi ??? - Please Help Identify

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-17-13, 01:28 PM
spartan_l25a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long time reader, first time poster. Fine group of people on here. I recently purchased a so-so condition Bianchi and am curious if anyone can help me place it. From what I have researched it's either a mid-80's Sport SX of Strada (possibly LX) with the latter of the two being more likely. It's not in the best shape but that's ok because that is whole reason I bought it, strip down and rebuild.

It appears to have a Ishiwata Hi-MN frame, Suntour shifters, Shimano Sport LX rear derailer, and that's all that I can make out ...

I'm curious if anyone can help place the exact year and model? And while I have your attention get your input on thoughts around sandblasting and powder coating the frame. I don't plan on selling this for a long time and I want to build a bike for myself and my own personal enjoyment without worrying about resale value.

Much appreciated!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00D0D_7QLKUXCm8rb_600x450.jpg (34.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg
20131017_202350.jpg (63.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 10-17-13, 06:58 PM
goatalope
Biking Viking.

Bikes: '01 Lemond Buenos Aires, '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 70s Austro Daimler Inter 10, 80s Motobecane Mirage 10 Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Can't tell you anything about the bike, but I'd say go ahead and get it powdercoated. Usually pretty cheap and durable. The current color bores me.
Old 10-17-13, 07:51 PM
JPZ66

Bikes: 1949 'Italian' , 1950 San Giusto, 1897 Union, and a number of "projects"... 198? Grandis, a couple of Mixte's...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check back agter BianchiGirl posts a reply...she will likely know what month of what year it was produced.....

As for what to do with it..... It's your bike and stated "keeper", set it up and make it just how you want to, then ride it and enjoy !

Joe
Old 10-17-13, 08:06 PM
spartan_l25a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally agreegoatalope, not a fan of the colour at all. I'm thinking a nearly black grey powder coat with the Bianchi badges in the Celeste and cable housing and brake hood to match.
@JPZ66: I'm fairly certain it is a Strada thanks to BianchiGirls post here: https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-178678.html but was hoping to see if anyone had more information on the model. This was the stated equipment on that one:

Hi-Mn Steel frame
Shimano 600 rear derailleur
Suntour ARX front derailleur
Shimano brakes
Sugino VT crank and front chainset
Sakae Road Champion (Japan) bars

I think mine is the same set, where did this fit on the scale of things? Are they worth restoring to perfection or just make them work and replace them over time ...
Old 10-17-13, 08:40 PM
bici_mania

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
+1 We need BianchiGirl

Looks nearly identical to:

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...3&d=1335173547

In which she states it is an '84 Strada
Old 10-17-13, 09:48 PM
JPZ66

Bikes: 1949 'Italian' , 1950 San Giusto, 1897 Union, and a number of "projects"... 198? Grandis, a couple of Mixte's...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well... I haven't looked up the Bianchi line from that time frame, but I would say that it was lower level, or entry level offering.....quality restoration of any bicycle is either time consuming or costly OR BOTH if you don't have the tools/skills...... I would just focus on maintenance items, cleaning and possibly a few cosmetic touch ups, then ride it. It is not a Bianchi offering worth spending any major bucks on IMHO.

If you like it and it fits and you're happy with it....just enjoy it. As you progress (digress?) into the C&V world, you may find yourself wanting something nicer....that's when you sell it to help pay for the next one ! Most of the folks here wind up with several or more bikes, suiting various purposes.....not to say that you cant find a decent all-a-rounder..... a racing bike does not usually make for a good commuter.

Spend time reading the forum here and pay attention to what the experienced and knowledgable folks here have to say about various bikes, tubesets,builders, components, etc....and you will soon begin to have a better idea what you might want ....size/fit being the most important...but then things like ride characteristics, weight and purpose begin to come into focus as well.

Either way, you now have a Bianchi....which is still a cool Italian bicycle !

Joe
Old 10-17-13, 10:21 PM
spartan_l25a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPZ66
Well... I haven't looked up the Bianchi line from that time frame, but I would say that it was lower level, or entry level offering.....quality restoration of any bicycle is either time consuming or costly OR BOTH if you don't have the tools/skills...... I would just focus on maintenance items, cleaning and possibly a few cosmetic touch ups, then ride it. It is not a Bianchi offering worth spending any major bucks on IMHO.

If you like it and it fits and you're happy with it....just enjoy it. As you progress (digress?) into the C&V world, you may find yourself wanting something nicer....that's when you sell it to help pay for the next one ! Most of the folks here wind up with several or more bikes, suiting various purposes.....not to say that you cant find a decent all-a-rounder..... a racing bike does not usually make for a good commuter.

Spend time reading the forum here and pay attention to what the experienced and knowledgable folks here have to say about various bikes, tubesets,builders, components, etc....and you will soon begin to have a better idea what you might want ....size/fit being the most important...but then things like ride characteristics, weight and purpose begin to come into focus as well.

Either way, you now have a Bianchi....which is still a cool Italian bicycle !

Joe
Makes sense. Tools I have. Skills I am transferring (auto/motorbike mechanic), I have restored another old bike successfully and without too much fuss for my sister (Woman's Le Circuit).

I have a Specialized TriCross Comp as my commuter and it's great for that. This I bought specifically to work on. I live in Toronto so every C&V bike is way over priced here. Most U08's go for 150+ and are in miserable shape and Bianchi generally start at 400. I got this one for 140 which in my book is a steal.

I've been trying to learn more about this one for my own knowledge going on that thread referenced above as a guide ('84 Strada) but not much luck yet. I think you're right, low-mid level offering, still better than the alternatives I think (Norco Avanti, U08, Nishiki Olympic) for my use which will be mainly 40 - 50k rides, once or twice a week.

Anyways, if anyone has any additional info on the '84 Bianchi line up I'd love to hear from you!
Old 10-18-13, 10:04 AM
dmds

Bikes: Basso, Gios, Miele, Miyata, Iro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a similar bianchi to that one. High Mn tubing with suntour arx components, sugino vt crank and shimano brakes. Mine is blue with chrome forks though. From what I gathered, the model was a Bici II. I am in the greater toronto area as well, and as far as I know the Bici II was a canadian model and the US equivalent was named something else.
Old 10-18-13, 10:24 AM
spartan_l25a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmds
I have a similar bianchi to that one. High Mn tubing with suntour arx components, sugino vt crank and shimano brakes. Mine is blue with chrome forks though. From what I gathered, the model was a Bici II. I am in the greater toronto area as well, and as far as I know the Bici II was a canadian model and the US equivalent was named something else.
Sweet! Thanks! I'll see what I can track down on this.

More proof of the inflated GTA market: https://toronto.canadianlisted.com/bi...n_1088744.html

Cheers
Old 10-18-13, 10:38 AM
spartan_l25a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SOLVED. Thank you for the lead @dmds! It is a 1985 Canadian Bici II, US equivalent was the Sport SX (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post15307533).

Now to start this project!

Thanks all!