Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ajax bike stand?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ajax bike stand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 04:03 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Ajax bike stand?

Anyone know about these? Evidently they date from the late 1800's.

I was perusing google images of wooden bike stands with a mind to make something, and came upon this. It looks to me like the bottom bracket would rest on that block attached to the angled brace, and the down- and top-tubes would fit into the notches. It looks as if the brace is slotted below that block, which suggests some means of adjusting the block - maybe fixing it with a wingnut. But I'm not sure, and couldn't find an image of the stand holding a bike.

I also don't know whether it would be suitable for light repairs, or just for display. Maybe it would depend on the proportions and the possible addition of some kind of strap or tie-down.

Anyway I think it's kind of a cool design and I have lots of scrap hardwood...

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...-bicycle-stand

Another iteration:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7272536

Last edited by due ruote; 06-20-13 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 07:25 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Those are cool, Due Ruote. Can't quite figure out how they're to be used either. I think you're right. The BB "block slides.
Looks like they might be a little unstable for wrenching, but with a wider, more stoutly built foot, it might work. I'm looking forward to seeing one if you decide to make it.
Old 10-28-13, 05:48 PM
Scott Jamieson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re your query about the Ajax bicycle stand. They were patented by James H. Bullard of Springfield, MA and a co-inventor W. Reid as US patent nr 537583 of April 16, 1895. As he did with many of his patents Bullard sold it on, in this case to the Ajax Company which produced these stands in at least two sizes that I am aware of. Whether he sold the patent outright or opted for royalties is unknown. He also invented and patented 3 coaster brake designs at least one of which went into limited production but under what brand name I do not know. These were patented in 1897-99. His second coaster brake patent was patented in many countries of the world (7 at least) so it is probably the one they produced. Bullard is most known if he is known at all for his fine sporting rifles both repeaters and single-shot which did bear his name. Hope this is of interest to you. The Burgwardt Bicycle Museum in New York State has an original stand and a modern reproduction unit as well. Best of luck in recreating a replica. I think you will find they are very sturdy stands.

Best regards,

Scott Jamieson
Old 10-28-13, 06:00 PM
rootboy 

Great post Scott. I have heard of Bullard rifles, but this connection is amazingly interesting. Thanks.

Scott
Old 10-28-13, 07:43 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
The driveside is on the left. Interesting.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 10-29-13, 05:16 AM
rootboy 

Great to have the patent drawings Scooper. Thanks. Interesting that the drawings show an upper, adjustable support for the top tube. I wonder, since the second example posted by Due Ruote doesn't show it, if it is necessary at all. A large wing nut on the adjustable support for the bottom bracket would make it easier to manipulate.

What I like about this stand is stated in provision number 10. It keeps both wheels up off the ground. Allowing lubing of the drive train and, perhaps more importantly, keeps the weight of the bike off tubular tires, which I sometimes worry about when they sit and deflate.

I'm going to build one of these. Some time this Winter.
Old 10-29-13, 08:29 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

It's simple, has a compact fold for storage, looks like it keeps the bike securely stable with the widened base A2, and like you say keeps the wheels off the ground. Pretty darn clever.

my bikes

Old 10-29-13, 08:44 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Great stand! Love it! Have to make a couple of them. I especially like the combination of holding the front wheel straight while engaging the frame and supporting the frame in the upright state. Good for mobile storage of nesting multiple bikes in a space where hanging is not an option.

Just need to accommodate under BB cables!

Last edited by SJX426; 10-29-13 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-29-13, 08:55 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by SJX426
Just need to accommodate under BB cables!
I wonder why the inventor didn't think about that.

my bikes

Old 10-29-13, 09:08 AM
due ruote 

Hey - cool updates to this thread. This stand still hasn't worked its way to the top of the project list, but the recent informative posts will certainly make things clearer when it does.

I'm thinking perhaps maple, white oak, or cherry. About the only substantial change I think I'd make is I'd be inclined to through-tenon support A to cross-piece A2, rather that attach it with screws. I would use 4/4 stock for everything except perhaps 5/4 for A2.
Old 10-29-13, 09:11 AM
rootboy 

I suppose the relative stability of the unit would directly relate to the floor stretcher, part A2. The addition of the chain is a good idea, but I'm brain storming a way to omit it.

Looks like the bike would be more stable with the upper, top tube support. You think so?
Old 10-29-13, 09:12 AM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by due ruote
I'm thinking perhaps maple, white oak, or cherry. About the only substantial change I think I'd make is I'd be inclined to through-tenon support A to cross-piece A2, rather that attach it with screws. I would use 4/4 stock for everything except perhaps 5/4 for A2.
I like all of this. Plus, plus.
Old 10-29-13, 09:13 AM
rootboy 

Would you guys feel the need to line the places where the frame touches wood? With felt? Leather? Just make the wood super smooth?
Old 10-29-13, 10:06 AM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by rootboy
Would you guys feel the need to line the places where the frame touches wood? With felt? Leather? Just make the wood super smooth?
If I were to line it I think I'd use leather; just seems more durable. I think the main benefit would be to make the interface less slippery.

I suppose the relative stability of the unit would directly relate to the floor stretcher, part A2. The addition of the chain is a good idea, but I'm brain storming a way to omit it.

Looks like the bike would be more stable with the upper, top tube support. You think so?
I think I'd go with the chain. If it's a nice looking brass one I wouldn't find it objectionable. You could substitute a leather strap but aesthetically I don't think it would be an improvement.

I do think the design with top tube support looks more stable.

Last edited by due ruote; 10-29-13 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-29-13, 01:06 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Given the variability of top tube configuration these days, from horizontal to slant to mixte to near parralell, I am inclined to think the shorter version would be more applicable. If the base is wide enough and the majority of the weight is below the DT support, I think you will have ample stability.

Many bikes have plastic or brazed on guides for the cable on the BB. Have you thought about using a piece of wood (g) with a cut out in the middle to allow for clearence of the guides? what are your thoughts about the cables from shifters on A?

Oh yeah, don't forget about wide tires with fenders!
Old 10-29-13, 03:07 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by SJX426
Given the variability of top tube configuration these days, from horizontal to slant to mixte to near parralell, I am inclined to think the shorter version would be more applicable. If the base is wide enough and the majority of the weight is below the DT support, I think you will have ample stability.

Many bikes have plastic or brazed on guides for the cable on the BB. Have you thought about using a piece of wood (g) with a cut out in the middle to allow for clearence of the guides? what are your thoughts about the cables from shifters on A?

Oh yeah, don't forget about wide tires with fenders!
I'd be a lot more concerned with these issues if I was thinking about making these commercially. But I'm not. Heck, I haven't even managed to make one for myself and I first posted the initial inquiry last June. I do think it's a cool design but for a work stand there are certainly better options, and I'm not really looking to display a bike. So basically I'm in no real hurry. But to answer your questions, because I wouldn't be trying to market these, I wouldn't be worried about a one size fits all approach. I'd make the tire slot large enough for an average road tire with no fender. It would be simple enough to remove some material from the BB block to allow for cable guides. As for the shifter cables, I would just make the slot in 'A' wide enough that they aren't pinched real tight, and not worry about it, as it's mainly for display, not a work stand.
Old 10-29-13, 05:50 PM
rootboy 

And the appeal to me is mostly display/storage. I don't like looking there to see my bike sitting on two flat tubulars. The rear can be elevated with one of those metal stands but having both wheels off the ground is very attractive.
I'm thinking of Cocobolo. But only because I have quite a bit of it.
Old 10-29-13, 07:26 PM
JPZ66

Bikes: 1949 'Italian' , 1950 San Giusto, 1897 Union, and a number of "projects"... 198? Grandis, a couple of Mixte's...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Display/storage...yes - one with proper skills / tools can make a design like this very artistic in nature, perhaps adding a small brass plaque or nameplate even.......work stand ? Not so much...

In regards the part G, adjustable support for the bb, why not omit that and instead create a similar adjustable support that cradles the chainstays ? No need for a cutout.

I think a suitable felt lining on the areas that touch painted surfaces would also be useful and look good. The whole thing done in any quality wood with brass hardware would look quite nice!

Oh, and at the base, where the contact points with the floor are, I think I would cut them at the appropriate angle and put non-skid small rubber pads or nubs.

Joe

Last edited by JPZ66; 10-29-13 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-29-13, 07:42 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
That's really cool.

Old 10-29-13, 08:39 PM
Alex Moll

Bikes: 54 R.O. Harrison, 56 W. F. Holdsworth, 59 Sauvage-Lejuene campeur,63 Jack Taylor Tourist,74 & 78 Davidson, 80 Colnago Super, 82 Merckx Professional, 92 Rain City Steelhead, 08 Rivendell AHH, 2011 Rivendell Custom, 2014 Woodrup/Sayles custom 650b

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I missed this thread in June - so very glad it was updated, and I'm catching it now. Some of you know I enjoy making wooden bike stands (for displaying bikes,) and in fact I'm in the middle of yet another design.

I'm quite excited about this Ajax stand. I especially enjoy the patent documentation - so, thanks for that Scooper! Thanks to due route for starting the thread.

I need to finish my current project first - it's a wheel stand inspired by a stand spotted at JP Weigle's 2013 French Fender Day. After that one's done, I'll play around with the "Ajax" stand. A fun project, for sure - I'll post pics here when I'm done. I'm very curious to know how well would function as a work stand . . .
Old 10-30-13, 05:59 AM
SJX426 

I do enjoy the view points! My intention would be for storage and display but more the former than the latter. The issue with cables and the bb or CS is the same only worse for CS as the cable typically is parallel or gettin in line with the chain stay past the BB. If the dimensions are right for the supports, I think the BB interface is preferable. both wheels off the ground not only preserves the tires but allows for the cranks to be rotated easily after mounting along with minor RD/FD adjustments.
Perhaps the DT support only needs to be a cradle to support the DT and not go past it. The bike frame lines will not be as interuppted as going al the way to the TT.

Brass plaque or frame with specs would be cool! Some variation of this:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by SJX426; 10-30-13 at 06:05 AM.