Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Home made BAR PLUGS ~ Epilog

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Home made BAR PLUGS ~ Epilog

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-13, 05:02 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Block
Have you thought about casting your own urethane plugs?
That way they can be tapered for ease of insertion, and your choice of hardness.
You seem well-equipped for the mold making.
and it is a chance to expand your skill base.

Our local supplier is very helpful. If there is a local supplier near you it might be worth asking, at least for future reference and other possible projects.

I like your latest leather project, and more pleasing to my eye than the style available from Japan with its prominent front seam.
are you wet molding the leather?
Thanks to all you guys. OK. Lets' see;

Well equipped for mold making? Me? Heh, not me Big Block. But thanks. Not much in the way of local suppliers near these small, sandy villages off the beaten path. But I'm liking the look of some of that rubber rod linked to.

I am wet molding the leather. Those hoods in the pics are my second prototype and thus, still a work in progress. Had to set those aside while I built my outbuilding but now I can get back into them in earnest. They have proven to be quite tricky. It took me 5 pattern changes to get them this close and so far, only working on Nuovo Record levers. I have to thank Rudi for his valuable input...and still owe him a set... and will be trying out a couple more sets in the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-31-13, 05:05 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by JPZ66
Ok. Listen, if you need a specific durometer hardness and specific size for an insert, I can help a PM me....

As for the leather brake hoods....How Much ?? Any choices in color ? ( although the ones in the photo look great! )

Damn you do such nice work !

Joe
Thanks Joe. I'll shoot you a PM. Haven't really decided on a price for the brake hoods yet and although I tried dying a set I'm not really pleased with the result. I'm of the opinion that dying leather is usually a compromise and that it takes a real pro to do it well. So far I've just left them natural, as in the picture. Like I say, I am only working with Record levers so far, but I might try a set for MAFAC levers in the future.
Thanks kindly Joe.
Old 10-31-13, 05:06 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by gomango
Agreed.

I really like the looks of these.

I would be very interested in some if that's a possibility.
A set of plugs, Gomango? or hoods?
Thanks amigo.

S.
Old 10-31-13, 05:07 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'd also be a buyer of the plugs and hoods.
Thank you! Aaron.
I'll send you a PM.

Scott
Old 10-31-13, 05:24 PM
JPZ66

Bikes: 1949 'Italian' , 1950 San Giusto, 1897 Union, and a number of "projects"... 198? Grandis, a couple of Mixte's...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Campy NR brake hoods in leather work for me....want a vintage Balilla brake lever assy to use as a model ? Very simple....mostly straight and squarish..... Would be awesome for a couple of old Italian bikes I have !
I will await your PM....

Joe
Old 10-31-13, 05:36 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Two sets of plugs please.

As for the hoods, I have a call into my bike buddy Tommy in China.

He bought a JP Weigle recently and these would be so cool.
Old 10-31-13, 05:48 PM
7/8timing

Bikes: 80' Zullo track bike,84 Lotus Legend,91' Nishiki Prestige,91' Fuji sundance

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey rootboy. those bar plugs look pretty swanky. when you wet forming your leather, how/what are you using to keep the leather tight against the brake lever body? I tried this a few times and found that the leather wasnt getting tight enough to really stay in shape/place for very long even after sewing them tighter.
Old 10-31-13, 07:08 PM
campngolf

Bikes: 70's Raleigh Sports, '12 Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I feel so inadequate.
Old 10-31-13, 08:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
That's really pretty, nice work!

I've always thought that it's a little corner of the bike that could be made to do more work, like storage inside the end of the bar (Flashlight? First aid kit? Birth control?). Hmm, could a teeny clock movement be found to inset in one bar end plug, and perhaps a matching mini thermometer for the other.
No, iPod speakers though I could see. You could have a steam locomotive recording and the Ride of the Valkyries audio files on hand, great for when you pass guys going uphill.
Old 10-31-13, 08:20 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Thanks Joe. I did lube the O rings before I inserted them. Really needed to on these and let me tell you, these aren't going anywhere. In fact, I'm not sure I can even remove them! Without marring the finish that is. Yes, production time id the challenge, and how it effects a price I would have to charge. These things, as are, take me a long time to make. I'm sure an experienced machinist could whip them out very quickly, but I have to plod. However, with a rubber expander plug one would only have to turn the face plate, as it were.

I might continue to experiment with this in aluminum, but, for now, on to my next whacky project! vvvv

Removing the end plugs will be easier if you relieve the vacuum.

I have been working on some leather hoods too for Campagnolo levers, I am adding pretty hard closed cell foam to the top of the hood to change the feel of the levers when you are riding on the hoods, way back that was my most discomfort with Campagnolo levers, Mafacs felt a bit better so in looking at them in profile that is what gave me the concept to add material under the hood.

Last edited by repechage; 10-31-13 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-31-13, 08:37 PM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by repechage

I have been working on some leather hoods too for Campagnolo levers, I am adding pretty hard closed cell foam to the top of the hood to change the feel of the levers when you are riding on the hoods, way back that was my most discomfort with Campagnolo levers, Mafacs felt a bit better so in looking at them in profile that is what gave me the concept to add material under the hood.
Ha, I just put some old Mafac levers on the Bertin. The levers also came with Weinmann centerpull calipers, which are probably fine, but I used Golden Arrow (105) on the Bertin. Boy, I'd love to get some of those leather hoods in darker brown, they'd rock with my brown suede saddle.
Old 10-31-13, 09:41 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Thanks Joe. I did lube the O rings before I inserted them. Really needed to on these and let me tell you, these aren't going anywhere. In fact, I'm not sure I can even remove them! Without marring the finish that is. Yes, production time id the challenge, and how it effects a price I would have to charge. These things, as are, take me a long time to make. I'm sure an experienced machinist could whip them out very quickly, but I have to plod. However, with a rubber expander plug one would only have to turn the face plate, as it were.

I might continue to experiment with this in aluminum, but, for now, on to my next whacky project! vvvv

I'll take a pair?,,,,,BD
Old 10-31-13, 11:53 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Wanna know how to turn brass without slinging it all over your hair and down your shirt ? Use a left hand brazed carbide upside down with the spindle in reverse so that it slings it into the chip pan instead.

Try not to forget which way to turn the spindle on, when you do that, every chance you get.

Luv those hoods, btw.
The plugs came out lookin' good too.

Last edited by Zinger; 11-01-13 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-01-13, 05:00 AM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by 7/8timing
Hey rootboy. those bar plugs look pretty swanky. when you wet forming your leather, how/what are you using to keep the leather tight against the brake lever body? I tried this a few times and found that the leather wasnt getting tight enough to really stay in shape/place for very long even after sewing them tighter.
7/8. Well, I don't really use anything, as that pair you see in the pic is a prototype pair. Do you mean, after they've dried? That's a good question as these tend to dry to a very hard, firm shell, and there is no elasticity to keep it hugging the lever like with rubber. Have to think about that one.
Old 11-01-13, 05:33 AM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by repechage

Heh, I thought of that last night. "Wish I had drilled a tiny hole at the center." If you look at the top of those hoods, Repechage, you'll see a slight hump. I molded this set with a 1/8 piece of leather in between the leather and the hood, for padding. But a small piece of rubber or closed cell is a good idea.

I'm now musing about 7/8's concern, regarding keeping them in place. Although these fit like gloves, I haven't ridden these as of yet. Still fine tuning the shape. And the fit. With all the compound curves and the idiosyncrasies of the leather when its wet, this may be the most difficult thing I've ever tried in leather.
To get the fit just right.
Old 11-01-13, 05:39 AM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by JPZ66
Campy NR brake hoods in leather work for me....want a vintage Balilla brake lever assy to use as a model ? Very simple....mostly straight and squarish..... Would be awesome for a couple of old Italian bikes I have !
I will await your PM....

Joe
Thanks Joe,
I'll send you a PM.
Old 11-01-13, 07:15 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Those leather hoods look great, Root! If you do make a batch to sell. I'd order some..
Old 11-01-13, 07:57 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
RB, those plugs are gorgeous .. wow, an aluminum version would be great with the circles filled in with paint ...

Hoods ... I have a set of these, unmounted Too nice to use! Sort of. Next time we get together I'll show them to you.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-01-13, 09:20 AM
rootboy 

That Japanese guy is very talented, eh Scott? Especially when you look closely at his rolled and burnished edges. Plus, that almost looks like chrome tanned leather, very difficult to get it to edge finish like that, but it could be vegetable tanned, dyed yellow. Very nice.
Old 11-01-13, 09:22 AM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by northbend
Those leather hoods look great, Root! If you do make a batch to sell. I'd order some..
Thank you NorthBend. Wow. You guys are overwhelming me with your praise, not to mention orders! It was probably a bit pre-mature to post the hoods as I'm still working them out but now that I'm freed up a little bit, and cold weather is coming on, I'm going to make some of these and will let you guys know as I get them done. Again, my thanks for all the support.
Old 11-01-13, 04:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts

Shut up and take my money
Old 11-01-13, 07:24 PM
rootboy 

Ha! Good one. I'd love to, and will. This was supposed to be more of a show and tell thread than a sales pitch and you guys caught me off guard, but I'll whip the elves and give them their dose and start bending leather.
Old 11-02-13, 09:59 AM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Fantastic work as always Scott.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 11-02-13, 10:36 AM
JPZ66

Bikes: 1949 'Italian' , 1950 San Giusto, 1897 Union, and a number of "projects"... 198? Grandis, a couple of Mixte's...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you developed a logo ?....you need a leather stamp to emboss your logo on the side there....!

Joe
Old 11-02-13, 11:58 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
I'd buy a set brass plugs.
Also the hoods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.