Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer: Yay or Nay?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Computer: Yay or Nay?

Old 11-07-13, 06:07 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
You're going to want to process that dyno output in multiple ways before you feed into into that Anrdoid!!!
That's what I was thinking. Maybe the new Dynohubs are better, but what comes out of an old Sturmey-Archer Dynohub is pretty dirty. I wouldn't want any delicate electronics on what comes out of it.
Old 11-07-13, 06:14 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride the same ol' routes so no need for gps. I do like a computer mainly as a notification that I'm not paying attention and should be going.
Old 11-07-13, 06:21 PM
Revracer

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur | Francesco Moser SL | 1984 Ross Utopian | St. Etienne 531 | 1981 Peugeot PK10 | 2015 Cannondale SuperSix | 2012 Felt F65X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts
As a teenager, I started with one of these:

However, when I started riding again, I was desperate for information regarding fitness and related goals. I started with a wireless Cateye, but in short order I ended up on the Garmin 800 path and use it to map a new and interesting routes over longer distances. Logging distance and average speed with Garmin Connect made record keeping easy, but Strava is my favorite tool. I can keep mileage by bike, keep track of upgrades and tires, track my fitness and yes, it does provide a virtual competition on segments that is great if you are into fitness and if used wisely (compete on climbs not descents). As others have said, the mounts on every bike makes it really easy and the device keeps odometer mileage for up to 5 bikes on the device (I have one generic bike that I then alter to the correct bike when uploading to Strava).

This being C&V though, I just recently picked up a 1974 Schwinn Sprint that must have one of the earlier cycling computers. I have not tried to replace the batteries yet (I am betting this device doesn't take a CR2032). Wired sensor disc is intact on the wheel.

Last edited by Revracer; 11-07-13 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 06:22 PM
Branimir
Merckx wannabe

Bikes: Rampon EL/OS 5700 groupset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have them on all the bikes that I owned, and in the end I just got annoyed with them.

Either they reset for no reason, or freeze, or just don't have enough functions for the money spent... Also, since I'm a cheap man, I never took out the cash for wireless computer, and the wired ones just look awful to me on any bicycle.

Last cyclocomputer kept freezing and reseting, I simply took it off and started riding without it. Now I ride by the feeling, and I'm not obsessed if I'm going 31.5 or 32.3 kmh for a 15 mins, I just feel the pace and cadence and try calculate my speed from there, just for reference...

Although I turn on MapMyRide app on my Android based phone to track my trip time, average speed and kilometers traveled. In the end, those are the numbers I'm interested in... Can't see a reason to spend 100$ on a bike computer, I can get new tires for that price, a couple of beers, and probably still get home with some cash in my pocket...

I vote for mobile phone apps, they are hidden away in the bag, or in the back pocket (my sweat destroyed one touchscreen during the summer, so no more back pocket mobiles for me!), and it keeps you away from looking at the numbers the whole time...
Old 11-07-13, 07:46 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That's what I was thinking. Maybe the new Dynohubs are better, but what comes out of an old Sturmey-Archer Dynohub is pretty dirty. I wouldn't want any delicate electronics on what comes out of it.
The new dyno hubs, surprisingly, aren't much better. They generate more output with less resistance, but it's not regulated. Even modern Shimano and SON dynohubs can crank out 50V at high speeds up around 40-50mph. You DEFINITELY need voltage regulation and rectification with these. And smoothing is always nice too.
Old 11-07-13, 08:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You're not the only one. But the Garmin suddenly seems like an attractive idea, because it would cost less than N computers, and it would be less work to maintain than N computers. And to be complete, I don't have computers on all my bikes, and I would like to know how many miles I ride in a month and in a year. Buying a computer for something like a Raleigh Sports just seems silly.

I work my smartphone too hard already. I tried cyclemeter, which is a superb app, but it's too much work for me, and it uses too much battery energy.
That is appealing from a simplicity angle... I like tracking their mileages separately for maintenance and use-tracking purposes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-07-13, 08:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
It might be possible to distinguish bikes with the Garmin, but I'm only guessing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-07-13, 08:57 PM
Revracer

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur | Francesco Moser SL | 1984 Ross Utopian | St. Etienne 531 | 1981 Peugeot PK10 | 2015 Cannondale SuperSix | 2012 Felt F65X

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It might be possible to distinguish bikes with the Garmin, but I'm only guessing.
When you change bikes with a Garmin, you need to go into the menu and make a bike selection. Only a few button presses. My unit maxes at 5, unless you upload your rides and modify the bike in the software. Here is a screen shot of my odometers in Strava:

Old 11-07-13, 09:08 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
What's the longest amount of time anyone here has used strava on their iPhones? I'm wondering what kind of battery life I can expect if I want to do a century, will the battery last?
Old 11-07-13, 09:36 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I have an old Cateye in one of my bins, but I have never used it. I have nothing against computers. I am usually preoccupied with so many things as it is: deciding on how many layers to wear, finding my gloves and checking in with myself to see in what sort of condition I am in on any given day. If I feel really good I'll push very hard. If I am so-so, I'll just crank along and speed up later if I am feeling better. If I had a computer, I might let the numbers tell me what to do instead of taking the lead from my body.

I would like a stop watch, and maybe I should get a cheap one. I wear an old automatic Bulova, and I keep forgetting what time I started. Sometimes I glance at the second sweep to check my cadence, especially on my SS bike.

Last edited by Lenton58; 11-07-13 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 09:47 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
What's the longest amount of time anyone here has used strava on their iPhones? I'm wondering what kind of battery life I can expect if I want to do a century, will the battery last?
I just used mine for the Seagull Century and still had about 30% battery life at the end. I made sure no other apps were running and I even took a few pictures along the way. I'm sure if I would have taken a call during the ride it may not have lasted, but doing all of the battery saving things will work.

I've had this Cateye since the 90's and it has been great (if you can handle a wired unit). The Enduro's were designed for mountain bikes and use a heavier wire. I haven't been easy on it either.

Old 11-07-13, 10:45 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Who is this man, and why does he have an enormous mechanical cyclometer on his bike?

He's Tommy Godwin, and he's setting an all time year-distance record. In 1939, he rode 75,065 miles (120.805 km), as documented by his sealed Smiths cable drive combination speedometer/odometer. That record still stands, BTW.
Old 11-07-13, 11:05 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenton58

I would like a stop watch, and maybe I should get a cheap one. I wear an old automatic Bulova, and I keep forgetting what time I started.
Divers watches are nice because you can just turn the arrow on the crystal frame to where you started at. No real need for a chronograph or anything that fancy.
Old 11-08-13, 01:10 AM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
You can also turn off the phone's cell functions (along with wi-fi, and Bluetooth) to save some juice. It'll still record the GPS info just fine that way. You might not be able to really look at any map information (unless it's already cached on your phone) until you turn it back on though.
Old 11-08-13, 04:16 AM
PhilPub

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Who is this man, and why does he have an enormous mechanical cyclometer on his bike?

He's Tommy Godwin, and he's setting an all time year-distance record. In 1939, he rode 75,065 miles (120.805 km), as documented by his sealed Smiths cable drive combination speedometer/odometer. That record still stands, BTW.
Fantastic! This I never knew. I had the pleasure of meeting Tommy Godwin (RIP) last year when he visited Herne Hill Velodrome in the build up to London 2012. He was there with his 1948 Olympic medals along with the actual bike (what a machine!) he rode on the velodrome to win them.

Revracer - Impressive mileage, particularly the 35.3 on the Barclays hire bike. That's probably equivalent to the 341 on the Miyata, being as it is a tank rather than a bike.
Old 11-08-13, 05:40 AM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hate em'. They take away from everything I enjoy about the bike. People are motivated by different things. Do what makes you go!
Old 11-08-13, 07:06 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I have a separate wired computer for each bike I ride.
Me too! I use all of my bikes for commuting on occasion, and I've found that traffic signals mess up the data on wireless computers. I still have Vetta wireless computers on two bikes that I don't commute on very often, but have Cateye Miteye 8s on three bikes.

Personally, I don't understand why someone would NOT want to use a computer. I like to know how far I rode, how fast and how long. I track all of my rides in a database, which takes about 15 seconds to do after each ride. Like others said, one of my main reasons for riding is fitness, and it is harder to gauge fitness without tracking data -- and that includes your weight as well as riding data.

If you want to take it easy on a particular ride, just don't look at the computer. It doesn't have to rule your life. However, if you don't have a computer you will never know your speeds, distances, time, etc.
Old 11-08-13, 07:14 AM
16Victor

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Raleigh Competition GS, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 Trek 360, 1991 Trek 7000 MTB, 1999 Burley Rumba tandem

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by southpawboston
The new dyno hubs, surprisingly, aren't much better. They generate more output with less resistance, but it's not regulated. Even modern Shimano and SON dynohubs can crank out 50V at high speeds up around 40-50mph. You DEFINITELY need voltage regulation and rectification with these. And smoothing is always nice too.
Bridge rectifier - zener diodes - maybe a battery in there to maintain voltage when stopped...on second thought, nah.
Old 11-08-13, 07:32 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Personally, I don't understand why someone would NOT want to use a computer. I like to know how far I rode, how fast and how long. I track all of my rides in a database, which takes about 15 seconds to do after each ride. Like others said, one of my main reasons for riding is fitness, and it is harder to gauge fitness without tracking data -- and that includes your weight as well as riding data.
I use ridewithgps.com for all of my routes. I know length and elevation profiles of everywhere I ride.

For time, I use a clock. It tends to be the one on the microwave because it is closest to the door. Otherwise, my phone has a clock.

Speed is meaningless.

As for tracking, I don't give a crap if I am plus or minus a few minutes on a ride. It has no bearing on my fitness. A better test is which guys drop me and which guys don't.
Old 11-08-13, 07:59 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilPub
Fantastic! This I never knew. I had the pleasure of meeting Tommy Godwin (RIP) last year when he visited Herne Hill Velodrome...
Oh! That's the OTHER Tommy Godwin - yeah, how weird is it that there were two outstanding British cyclists in the same era with the same name?
Old 11-08-13, 08:59 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Garmin Edge 200. Simple, easy mount system, wireless.

I ride for fitness. So tracking my speed and distance is good motivation to ride a little farther or increase my pace.
+1
Old 11-08-13, 09:23 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I use ridewithgps.com for all of my routes. I know length and elevation profiles of everywhere I ride.

For time, I use a clock. It tends to be the one on the microwave because it is closest to the door. Otherwise, my phone has a clock.

Speed is meaningless.

As for tracking, I don't give a crap if I am plus or minus a few minutes on a ride. It has no bearing on my fitness. A better test is which guys drop me and which guys don't.
For me tracking is not necessarily speed/time but route. If I stumble upon a cool path that's not marked on maps and I can't remember where it was, it's recorded by GPS and I can always reference back to it once I upload it to RideWithGPS (which is where I deposit all my tracked rides).
Old 11-08-13, 11:28 AM
JPZ66

Bikes: 1949 'Italian' , 1950 San Giusto, 1897 Union, and a number of "projects"... 198? Grandis, a couple of Mixte's...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No compiters on vintage bikes for me....main reason ....fugly ! I say if you must gather and track data, slip a smart phone in pocket with your choice of app. I like to keep the vintage bikes looking vintage !

Besides, I already know where I'm going, the distance and how much time it should take.

Joe
Old 11-08-13, 11:30 AM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin Edge 500 is what I use. I like data, so the post ride information is great. The other thing I like about the 500 is the size, not to big not to small and I can actually read the display without my glasses! There are a lot of options of things you can display on the screen so you can make it as simple or complex as you like. As far as it taking away from my riding experience I would say it doesn't at all plus I can always leave it at home if I want to.
Old 11-08-13, 12:16 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Interesting thoughts and a wide range of views for C&V riders. I'm all over the 'map' regarding bike computers. Started way back while touring with those annoying ticking cyclometers. After awhile it was removed. Just used a map and figured approx. mileage.

I have the same habit today trying something new and then done with it. I've used all sorts of computers wired to wireless and now on with the phone, some of the free android app's. I would start by keeping logs too but soon could care less, disregard any data leave it all behind and just enjoy the ride. I gave away a HRM too. Never cared for the chest strap. The phone apps are neat and amazing whats available for next to nothing cost. They do eat the battery and have to remember to turn off the Wi-Fi.. The GPS is handy but if I'm out on a regular or fairly familiar area, not worth it.

That aside I kind of like a wired Sigma cheapo on one bike. Basic and minimalistic as one gets. Battery life is excellent and takes severe weather. Most reliable and the wire is cleanly routed and concealed. As a novelty and conversation piece I also have a vintage Terrys stopwatch mount with a cheap wind-up Bullseye pocketwatch on another bike. Get's good laughs to strange looks from some.

Funny enough on group rides with unfamiliar routes or century events, usually someone carry's all the whizbang data but if one carries a map that's what everyone relies on. Go figure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.