Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Announcers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 05:48 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
The best commentators I've come across are Matthew Keenan, who you can hear in the U.S. if you purchase the full Tour stream until the Phil/Paul show comes on, and Marty MacDonald from Cycling.tv
That is the coverage we are getting this year in Canada. Where does it originate? We used to get the US coverage with Bob Roll and company but now it is Matt for the first 30 to 90 minutes, then Phil and Paul take over. Paul is solo for many periods so I presume Phil is doing stuff with the others. Do they still do their predictions of who will win the stage?
Old 07-10-14, 06:30 AM
XTR

Bikes: Cannondale Delta V 2000, C-dale SuperV Active, Bridgestone RB-1, Colnago Master, Izalco Pro 4.0, Carbon Superfly 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
There has got to be a good drinking game for the Phil and Paul show

Stamping his Authority - Drink
Dancing on the pedals - Drink
Professional Bicycle Rider - Drink
Doing Damage - Drink
Protecting their rider - Drink
Every time they predict an attack that does not happen - Drink

Oh yea, this is doable...
Old 07-10-14, 07:47 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Kelly had a stroke a few years ago that impaired his speech, which is why he can be hard to understand. I like his commentary a lot, but I've never been a fan of Carton Kirby's need to say "yes" every few seconds. The best commentators I've come across are Matthew Keenan, who you can hear in the U.S. if you purchase the full Tour stream until the Phil/Paul show comes on, and Marty MacDonald from Cycling.tv
That's news to me. Is it in his auto-biography? Can't find anything about it online and if anything his diction has improved over the years IMO. His pausing and constant 'eh' is common here in Ireland.

Maybe you think this just because he supports a heart & stroke charity?
Old 07-10-14, 07:54 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I prefer Kirby/Kelley also. I think it's funny how Kelly always pronounces "classifi-KAY-ush-on"
Old 07-10-14, 08:04 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I prefer Kirby/Kelley also. I think it's funny how Kelly always pronounces "classifi-KAY-ush-on"
And 'sang-wich' for sandwich. He hasn't lost any of his accent and I find him perfectly intelligible but then I'm Irish. He speaks fluent French and Flemish I believe so wonder what French and Belgians make of him. There's no sign either in his speech or physical activity of ever having had a stroke.
Old 07-10-14, 08:11 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Where's David Harmon these days ? He was good.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-10-14, 04:32 PM
sprince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer Kirby/Kelley as well and have never found Sean Kelley difficult to understand.

Liggett/Sherwin are enjoyable for the one race a year, but the tour tends to be more spectacle and soap opera than racing anyway. With the 12 lane roads and 40km long climbs it's not like you would miss all that much if you turned the sound off.
Old 07-10-14, 06:48 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Nobody has mentioned Bobke.

I like his commentary and he seems really comfortable behind the mic. He also seems like he would be a cool guy to have a beer with. I miss those quirky commercials that he was doing last season to.

Hey, where did that "cool" Michelob Ultra guy go this season?
Old 07-11-14, 08:25 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Kelly had a stroke a few years ago that impaired his speech, which is why he can be hard to understand. I like his commentary a lot, but I've never been a fan of Carton Kirby's need to say "yes" every few seconds. The best commentators I've come across are Matthew Keenan, who you can hear in the U.S. if you purchase the full Tour stream until the Phil/Paul show comes on, and Marty MacDonald from Cycling.tv
Agreed on Matt Keenan, he's one of the best I've ever heard, incisive, mistake free and seems to know all the riders by sight. Robby McEwan did a guest slot recently and he's going to be really good if he starts commentating full time. My favourites though are Kirby and Lloyd, always entertaining and good for a laugh.
Old 07-12-14, 12:08 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Christian Van de Velde is getting better as the Tour goes along; he doesn't have a particular 'way with words' but who knows, maybe he'll read a lot of books during his downtime. He was pretty flat during the ToC coverage and has come a long way already.

Also I find that his very neutral accent makes him easy to understand.

More seriously: I have only been watching for about five years, my wife even less. Phil and Paul are kind of a 'gateway drug' as are the other NBC guys, they make it easy to understand, explain things over and over, etc. Personality wise Phil and Paul are dry and a nice contrast to the American commentators who tend to push harder. I watch a lot of other races through other channels and am finding other commentators bring a different perspective, usually more in depth. We watched the SBS (Australian) coverage of the Giro and one of the guys there got quite emotional during final sprints!

NBCSN seems to be making more of an effort this year, bringing Van de Velde on as a regular and with Jens and Cancellara as guests in the 'Primetime' show in the last few stages. Hopefully this means more serious coverage of races going forward, maybe even (someday) they'll carry all three Grand Tours?

Also it seems pretty obvious that they are auditioning Jens, having him do a short interview with his young teammate the other day, frequently chatting with him though he's obviously not a contender. He is a very big personality, quick on his feet (verbally) and obviously has a great knowledge of the sport. His accent is not much thicker than Arnold Schwarzenegger's, and that's not been a problem for American audiences. If he goes 'pro' as a commentator he could really help expand the US audience for cycle racing.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 07-12-14 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-14-14, 07:18 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
He's since become the voice of Le Tour for a lot of the English-speaking cycling world, but like Murray Walker and Bill McLaren before him he's passed his sell-by date.
did Murray do TdF announcing in the past or are you just referring to his working past his sell-by date in F1 commentary? I only know him form the F1 side but if he did cycling, I can only imagine the Murrayisms that would result
Old 07-14-14, 09:44 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by dbf73
did Murray do TdF announcing in the past or are you just referring to his working past his sell-by date in F1 commentary? I only know him form the F1 side but if he did cycling, I can only imagine the Murrayisms that would result
I was talking about his F1 work. If Phil could throw in a few Murrayisms I'd like his cycling commentary a lot more.

David Duffield is the great missing link there. The random stream-of-consciousness stuff he could weave into his stage commentary...
Old 07-14-14, 10:56 AM
Sailor73 

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With regards to Christian, I have to keep reminding myself Bobke was a train wreck when he started at the desk. There are times it seems like Christian is listening to whats going on in his earpiece while trying to talk. That takes some getting used to.
Old 07-14-14, 11:42 AM
Rhinelander
Coppista

Bikes: Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
And 'sang-wich' for sandwich. He hasn't lost any of his accent and I find him perfectly intelligible but then I'm Irish. He speaks fluent French and Flemish I believe so wonder what French and Belgians make of him. There's no sign either in his speech or physical activity of ever having had a stroke.
I also prefer Kirby/Kelley... except for Kirby's "such lovely men" (hehe). Have no trouble understanding Kelley. And I was quite fond of Phil and his castle tours. Not so much Sherwin who's not beyond uttering pure nonsense occasionally, often without due corrections which made him sound aloof and above (not a good sign for a reporter). Miss Roll... pure character. The Kirby/Kelley team does seem to have better access to relevant current data and are more capable to convey it.
Old 07-15-14, 06:20 AM
gardnertoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Also it seems pretty obvious that they are auditioning Jens...He is a very big personality, quick on his feet (verbally) and obviously has a great knowledge of the sport...If he goes 'pro' as a commentator he could really help expand the US audience for cycle racing.
I'm thinking the Jensie and Bobke Show! How great would that be!