Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lance back in the News

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lance back in the News

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-18, 02:12 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What I can't understand is the number of apologists for such a ruthless man. He cared not a jot for the sport, his teammates, his fans, the lot. He consciously tried and succeeded for a while in pulling the wool over the eyes of the majority, whom he thoroughly used then let down.

I and many have a lot of time for the US. They are far less cynical then us "Europeans", as anybody who lives on this landmass filled with widely disparate peoples are called, and I can understand why a nation that saved them twice is so admired, albeit with a touch of cynicism. But to sanction the Armstrongs of this world, no, I and many others do not. Basically, he has helped break the belief in the European image of the US, if I can put it like that. I'm not saying, by the way, he has played the biggest part, but he comes close here in France. Next to one other person whom I cannot name, he has managed to destroy much of the dream that was America.
Old 12-20-18, 02:30 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Uh... yes they did.
What and When?
Old 12-20-18, 02:36 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
What and When?
USADA caught him in 2012 based on witness testimony.
Old 12-20-18, 02:43 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by 124Spider
To say that lying about cheating "has nothing to do with cycling" is so absurd, it doesn't really deserve any further response....
I can't find lying or perjury in the cycling "rules". Purjury requires an oath. I have not seen oaths in cycling event.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/imm-usac-uat-bucket-16e9mh4tuo6kc/documents/Rules-Policies/USACycling_RuleBook_2018_03.pdf] https://s3.amazonaws.com/imm-usac-ua...ok_2018_03.pdf [/url]
https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/const...ns/regulations
Old 12-20-18, 03:08 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
What was the sorta crime?

And...what did it have to do with cycling?
Lance essentially settled the cases against him by pleading guilty to a fashion crime. Doping had gone out of fashion, for one rider from one country who pretty much dominated one event.

The machinations are that, one of the most irrelevant human being to humanity we've seen in our lifetimes (much like all of the Lance-haters on this thread) tested positive for doping after actually winning the Tour de France and quixotically sued Lance Armstrong for $100M because of it. Then, of all things, the USDA joined the case, essentially representing the USPTO as they decided they wanted their money back (odd, sure but a government bureaucracy was bankrolling the US cycling team). The case sort'a settled for pennies on the dollar (including others who joined in) because... no one was hurt-- Lance hadn't actually cost the plaintiffs anything-- he made'm money so, there were no damages. The government prosecutor of course had to exact his 'pound of flesh' (after all, it was illegal to do what every other rider was doing), the end result of which, as a part of the settlement, Lance is not allowed to ever compete in an event that involves a bicycle. Sounds insane but that's what defines the Lance-haters-- insane, over-the-top losers demanding retribution because Lance won too many TdFs.
Old 12-20-18, 03:45 PM
Doge

And I was expecting an argument. Good summary @McBTC
I think doping is coming back in fashion.
Old 12-20-18, 05:26 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
that's what defines the Lance-haters-- insane, over-the-top losers demanding retribution because Lance won too many TdFs.
What defines Lance apologists: slavering wanna-bes who worship an admitted cheater in a attempt to compensate for their own athletic and moral deficiencies.
Old 12-20-18, 05:42 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Let’s watch posts that are insulting. Argue and debate all you want but don’t make it personal. Thnaks.
Old 12-20-18, 07:47 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well, there isn’t a lot of room for argument or debate re Armstrong’s case, since facts are facts. However, there is a lot of room for blind faith, apparently
Old 12-20-18, 10:56 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by avole
Well, there isn’t a lot of room for argument or debate re Armstrong’s case, since facts are facts. However, there is a lot of room for blind faith, apparently
I see plenty of room. We are discussing what pro cycling is, and was and why USA isn't, and won't produce top performers, while when the juniors were the top. But something changed.
Old 12-20-18, 11:02 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, You were discussing that, most of the rest of us were trying to remain on topic.

How about creating a new thread where you can discuss your subject quite freely? I’m happy to create it for you, but, to be truthful, it isn’t a topic which holds much interest for me, not coming from the US.

Old 12-20-18, 11:45 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, You were discussing that, most of the rest of us were trying to remain on topic.

How about creating a new thread where you can discuss your subject quite freely? I’m happy to create it for you, but, to be truthful, it isn’t a topic which holds much interest for me, not coming from the US.

It isn't a topic that holds a lot of interest for me, either, and I do come from the US.

But I do like soccer.

Old 12-21-18, 04:59 AM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
You'd think anyone familiar with the rigors of the sport would appreciate the accomplishments enough to give the devil his due, especially when you consider that the more you look into it and the hate an rage, faulty logic and haughty hypocrisy, the example of Lance Armstrong is less like the devil more like Jesus paying for the sins of all professional cyclists.
I'm pretty sure the rumors of Jesus taking performance enhancers is not canon. At minimum its never been proven.
Old 12-21-18, 05:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by canadian deacon
I'm pretty sure the rumors of Jesus taking performance enhancers is not canon. At minimum its never been proven.
Yes, The Book of Pfizer is definitely apocrypha.
Old 12-21-18, 05:16 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
@124Spider, Yes, that did sound condescending your honour ! There are similar debates, but more focussed on the race and local teams, here in France, although they tend to be closer to the time of the race and are usually more concerned with what is wrong with French cyclists - it has been a long time since a French rider won Le Tour, after all.
Old 12-21-18, 12:53 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by canadian deacon
Anyone coming back from the dead had to be on something, no?
Old 12-21-18, 04:56 PM
McBTC

@124Spider… what is wrong with French cyclists - it has been a long time since a French rider won Le Tour, after all.
See... that's what I've been trying to tell'ya… LA and the French have a lot in common-- they're both a-holes...
Old 12-21-18, 05:27 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
See... that's what I've been trying to tell'ya… LA and the French have a lot in common-- they're both a-holes...
Just when I was sure your posts couldn't possibly get any more bizarre, you've outdone yourself, dismissing an entire country with a crude insult. Amazing; disturbing, but amazing.
Old 12-21-18, 05:31 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by 124Spider
Just when I was sure your posts couldn't possibly get any more bizarre, you've outdone yourself, dismissing an entire country with a crude insult. Amazing; disturbing, but amazing.
Just a joke... avole has chased my arse all over this post and I don't ever respond in kind because I don't want it to be jerked off the web with complaints which usually are by those who start all the name calling...
Old 12-21-18, 05:51 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
To all of the 'holier than thou,' no one will ever know if LA would have been just as successful if he and all of his competitors were not taking performance enhancing measures. To single LA out says more about his accusers than his crime, which pretty much was winning 7 TdF's. If LA had hung up the bike at say... 5 wins, there never would have been a prosecution (persecution?).
According to Lance -- the haters hate him for 3 reasons: 1) doping, 2) lying about doping, 3) trying to destroy everyone that resisted the Lance dope train and Lance's narrative. As Lance says, many people will forgive 1 & 2, but many find 3 unforgivable.(Rogan Interview)

I agree. This is a man with some deep seated psychological problems. He attributes his dysfunction to not having a father to teach him right from wrong.
Old 12-21-18, 06:35 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
According to Lance -- the haters hate him for 3 reasons: 1) doping, 2) lying about doping, 3) trying to destroy everyone that resisted the Lance dope train and Lance's narrative. As Lance says, many people will forgive 1 & 2, but many find 3 unforgivable.(Rogan Interview)...
I think this is fairly accurate, at least for me. I might not say 3 is unforgivable but I don't think I would dismiss it as being resolved in the same way that bans and stripping titles corrected the errors of 1 and 2.

Avole wondered earlier as to why people could defend him so strenuously. I think extreme love and hate are two sides of the same coin. There were/are a lot of aspiring American amateur and professional cyclists who slug their guts out for a chance at glory and along came Lance, who was very relatable as an every man underdog who worked hard and over came obstacles. Then he beat the Europeans at their own game definitively - hooray aren't we great!!! ... until it was shown to be based on a lie. And not just one lie but a whole series of lies within lies, denials and false accusations that he dragged all his loyal fans into with him. Then instead of Americans feeling great they were painted with the brush of being cheats. Then that strong nationalistic pride turned either to extreme anger at being duped or blind apologists who try to minimize or normalize what he did.

The truth is America was neither great or cheats because of Lance in the same way that fans do not win football games from the side lines.

I never related that closely to him and am not American so there is some distance to be a little objective. Yes, he was a very hard worker. Yes, he beat the other cheaters by perfecting the doping game. And yes, he cheated and should be banned/stripped of his victories. If that were all, like Landis or Pantani, I would say his debt is paid but he also was very mean and vindictive as stated in the previous post so, unless he took ownership and really demonstrated that that had changed, I would say that speaks to his base character more than being caught up in the events of the moment.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-21-18 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 07:53 PM
Maxsdf
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
once falsified, it will never be trusted again. It is with me
Old 12-21-18, 09:04 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
This thread has run its course.

Closed.