Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle shops of the past: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle shops of the past: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 09:52 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I remember hanging out at a bike shop in Tucson when they first opened called Fair Wheel bikes. At that time they had a policy of only charging a minimal (15%) margin over their cost on items they didn't have in stock. I remember mentioning that this would result in the store going under as soon as customers figured out that they could get a great deal by making sure to only buy things that had to be ordered. Fortunately Ralph changed that policy pretty quickly. Bought a used tandem there the year they opened which we still have.
Old 12-27-18, 05:42 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The Bikesmith in New Orleans. I worked there throughout college. It was a fine shop back in the day and sold a variety of bikes over the years, but was primarily a peugeot shop. It was a bit of a throwback to the 60s.
Where is the Bikesmith? I live in Metairie and have never heard of them. Here in the NOLA area, all of the shops have become very friendly and helpful. Bayou Bicycles and East Bank Cycles give me the best feel. I wouldn't call any of them great.
Old 12-27-18, 06:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Where is the Bikesmith? I live in Metairie and have never heard of them. Here in the NOLA area, all of the shops have become very friendly and helpful. Bayou Bicycles and East Bank Cycles give me the best feel. I wouldn't call any of them great.
No it went out of business in the 80s I think. It used to be on the corner of Freret and Valence I believe.

Some of the bike shops in NO are owned/managed by people who used to work there. Adam's Bicycle World is; there are others I believe as well.
Old 12-27-18, 10:54 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I used to basically live at the original Valley Bike in Amherst, Ma. The store has been through several owners, moved a couple of times and is totally different now.

Back in the early 80's, Japanese brands seemed to predominate. Valley Bike primarily sold a variety of 80s Japanese brands like Miyata, Univega and Bridgestone all of whom made very high quality and distinct stuff back then. They also carried Cannondale, back when Cannondale was made in the US and a little weird. They could get you Colnagos, Rossins, Cinellis etc if you wanted but almost no one bought those. For the same price, there were a number of custom builders in the area at the time that would sell you something cooler, notably JP Weigle (mostly touring), Richard Sachs (mostly racing and cross) or Peter Oullette (all sorts of stuff, my sister had one of his frames). They also sold a couple of the original white Kestrel 4000s in the mid eighties, which looked like spaceships next to all the steel and still look modern today. I also remember seeing a Dean titanium frame once there and a lugged and bonded Hinault Look KG86. Mountain bikes started to show up in the mid-eighties and took over after a few years.

Clothing options were either inexpensive stuff like Bellweather or high end like Giordana, Assos and Descente. Pro team replica stuff was much more common back then and did not carry a stigma. I used to have full PDM, Caffe de Colombia and Vetements Z kits. Helmets were either Bell, Kiwi or leather hairnets. Almost no racer wore a helmet though, they were used primarily by touring cyclists. The store had road shoes from Sidi, Vitorria and Detto, mostly wood reinforced nylon with thin leather uppers. Most touring cyclists used stiff-soled sneaker-type shoes from newer American brands like Specialized with clips and straps.

I remember the counter cabinet was full of higher end Cinelli, 3T, Modolo, Selle San Marco, Selle Italia, Campy, Mavic, Simplex, Sachs-Huret (the Jubilee RD is still just about the coolest thing I've ever seen) etc stuff but no one bought that stuff. Most people used SunTour, Shimano and Nitto stuff. My first road bike had friction SunTour Cyclone on it. All racers raced on tubulars exclusively back then, most trained on clinchers. There were always tons of tubs stretching or curing in the shop. Touring was also very popular back then in Western MA, they sold a ton of racks, panniers, bar bags etc from local brands like Rhode Gear. They also had some early Avocet computers, Silca and Zefal frame pumps (everyone trained with a frame pump back then), tons of colors of Benotto tape and a rack of cotton cycling caps.

I'm fortunate that my current local store here in Chicago is full of terrific parts, tools, clothing etc and relatively helpful people but I still miss bike stores in the 80s. Prices hadn't gotten out of control and it was very niche and counter-culture back then. In 1987, $800 got me a very high quality, durable bike with a full group including hubs. Also, seeing a weird Euro bike or group back then was an event as there was no internet and few magazines.

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-27-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-20-20, 05:12 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Drtyn8

the alley was my uncles shop I loved going there to visit got to ride whatever I could I think I may still have a t shirt somewhere around in the attic. And I know more then a couple of my bikes came from there. It was nice growing up with access like that.
Sorry to revive a Zombie thread, but what do you know about why they closed?
Old 06-20-20, 05:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Sorry to revive a Zombie thread, but what do you know about why they closed?
You couldn't send the person I private message? It seems like a better way to contact them if they are even still an active member.
Old 06-20-20, 08:47 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I liked Bloor Cycle in Toronto, Canada and also Pedlar Cycle in Toronto, Canada. There was one shop I detested after they destroyed a 5-speed chain and ruined a 5-speed freewheel I told them I wanted to use on another bike after they replace them with the 6-speed ones on the bike I'd brought in. They took the 5-speed Suntour freewheel off with a hammer and punch and mucked up the two slots so badly that the Suntour tool no longer worked on it. The chain must have been taken off with two screwdrivers and twisted apart as the chain was twisted when it was given to me. The funny thing is, that of the three shops the latter on is still in business or at least the name is although in a different location.

Pedlar was a fantastic shop with dedicated workers who delighted in a newbie fix a beater bike up as a daily transportation bike. I bought a number of bikes from Pedlar.

Cheers
Old 06-21-20, 06:37 PM
Beldar77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Whoa- I lived in College Park, MD from 87-89 and had a roommate who worked at College park Bikes. In fact got a nice father's day message from him today. Anyway the bike shop is still there and owned by the same guy - Larry Black.I say yay for this durability. Of course back then he had all sorts of 1 off frames from different european specialty shops and Specialized but now I'm sure he can't stock the store like that.

https://dbknews.com/2020/05/07/bikes...mic-essential/