Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What are some good tires for summer city commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What are some good tires for summer city commuting?

Old 03-14-19, 02:52 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Conti 5000 are horribly expensive, if you're training to race and racing then I could understand the need for less rolling resistance, but in reality you will barely notice the 5000 over the some other tire; but the OP didn't say he was racing or training to race, he did say he wants to go fast but so does everyone else, that doesn't mean we all run over plop down $150 for one pair of Conti 5000 tires! Especially considering you can get Vittoria Rubino Pro Speed G+ for $40 that will cost you 2 watts over the 5000 TL or 1 watt over the non TL version, either way you won't feel the 1 OR THE 2 watts but you will feel the extra cash in your wallet! But going with tires that are faster you give up some degree of puncture resistance, so you have to weigh out what you really want. Also those rolling resistance tests are done with latex tubes, so now you have to buy expensive latex tubes to put in your expensive tires, though latex tubes can be put in cheap tires as well.
Comparison of Vittoria Rubino Pro Speed G+ and Conti 5000:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...ino-pro-g-2016

The sidewall thicknesses are the same.
The rolling resistance difference is much greater than 1 or 2 watts per tire.
Retail price of the Vittoria is $40 per tire which you compare to the cost of a pair of the Continentals.
The rolling resistance tests were performed with butyl tubes, not latex.
Old 03-14-19, 02:57 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
The Voyager Hypers ARE very nice tires. But I can't find the larger sizes anymore; I've only seen the 32mm I believe on planet X. At that size...might as well just get the GP4000 which really is like 30mm.
I think planet x only has the 35mm left since this tire is discontinued. The biggest problem with is the shipping cost so I was ordering 4 at time. I do like the tire and have a few extra in 35mm and 37mm when they ran clearance sales.
Old 03-14-19, 03:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
For myself, having tried those, I think I’d pay the extra for Supremes... Unless someone comes back with a long term review on that Pirelli.
Old 03-14-19, 03:27 PM
katsup

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
For myself, having tried those, I think I’d pay the extra for Supremes... Unless someone comes back with a long term review on that Pirelli.
I know you got a sidewall cut on the Hypers which ended it's life early, but I wonder how many miles you get out of the Supremes. I'm not commuting with the bike that has the Hypers on it currently, so they only have about 1100mi on them.

I was considering Supremes, but couldn't justify the extra cost.
Old 03-14-19, 03:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

The cut was through the tread. I’ll dig up the photos later, it’s not convenient on mobile.
Old 03-14-19, 04:03 PM
katsup

I am more curious about your experience with the Supremes, not your cut on the Hypers (which I think I saw you post before).
Old 03-14-19, 04:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've had very good luck with Michelin Lithions as a commuting/training tire. Super price on Chain Reaction right now.
Old 03-14-19, 04:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by katsup
I am more curious about your experience with the Supremes, not your cut on the Hypers (which I think I saw you post before).
I replaced it with a regular Marathon since I thought I’d be doing more utility cycling on that bike, but life didn’t work out that way. Kid 1 outgrew the kid seat, kids 2A and 2B are too big a load together and haven’t gone to daycare yet, we moved closer to my job making a road bike sort of too fast, I switched to more MTB on my commute route, and so that bike has just been sitting. I tried to sell it but it was out of season, so I’ll try again in April
Old 03-15-19, 04:21 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I had very good luck with Maxxis Re-fuse when doing more urban commuting. They're not as supple as GP4000Sii and feel a bit heavier, but I couldn't seem to make them flat.

They also come in a bunch of different colors, if that's your thing.
Old 03-16-19, 12:16 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
A rather a light weight fast tire and fix occasional flat...than a heavy slow tire that never flat.
I have Vittoria Rando's for winter wet commutes... lifeless but robust. In spring I put on my Challenge Paris Roubaix 27mm... really nice.
Old 03-16-19, 08:59 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I find Gatorskins quite poor quality. Super thin sidewalls and any debris and they eat it. If you're in a very dense urban area, I would recommend against them.

If you live in east bum**** and worry about traffic/cows then maybe they'd work for you.
I've been running the Gatorskin hardshells for the last 5 years and my experience with flats has been very positive, particularly considering how much construction debris has been present around here. One of my co-workers has been running Marathon Supremes and he is very happy with them and their tested rolling resistance is less than the GS.

The Conti Grand Prix 4 Season reviews are impressive, I'm going to try a set when my current tire treads wear thin in a few thousand miles.
Old 03-16-19, 10:06 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
They're not lightweight, but Continental RIDE Tour (previously Tour RIDE) are great. I have one set on road wheels that are about 4 years old and I've never had a flat. I haven't checked recent prices but they run about $25. I don't find them "slow", unless its me!
ill second these. Ive run them in 32s and almost never had a flat. Having said that, when i replaced them with pasela 35s i thought id died and went to heaven.
Old 03-20-19, 11:41 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by dneufeld
I have lots of clearance and I like to go fast. Gatorskins seem tried and true, but is there anything new on the market?
I use Compass (or Compass-style) tires once spring rolls around -- 26"x1.8" Naches Pass on the fixed-gear, 650x38B Panaracer Pari-Moto on the rando bike. Love 'em.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-01-19, 08:54 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
continental GatorSkins
Old 04-06-19, 04:27 PM
WMBIGS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to ask the same question. Bontrager used to make a wire bead, supple skinwall, I went through several of those 28,32,35, very affordable as well. Think I will look for GP4000 in a 28 width. I have had good luck with the 23's and 25's on my road bike.
Old 04-06-19, 09:06 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I've always wondered about sidewall issues people have. Are they hitting curbs? I can't really see in my mind how this would ever come into play. Assuming on road, not mountain biking...
I got a sidewall cut by riding through a patch of gravel (MUP being repaired) on my GP4000 two years ago. I assume one gravel rock had a sharp edge or glass was mixed in it. Got a puncture flat the week before that. Replaced the tire and installed Mr Tuffy in them. Got no flat since then while riding over 9,000 km (made sure I avoided gravel patches as well).

Last edited by SylvainG; 04-06-19 at 09:47 PM. Reason: MUP, not road
Old 04-06-19, 10:24 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
GP4000 is not a good commuting tire, it's too fragile for that purpose in my opinion, it's a fast training tire, that's what it was designed for. The sidewalls are paper thin and are indeed subject to damage, and even the tread isn't all that great, not all that bad either, but not up to commuting standards and to get to work reliably.
Old 04-06-19, 11:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I commuted for years (and still ride into the city regularly) on Pansracer Paselas. Their cheapest wire beaded ones. 28c are what I run on my fix gear year 'round. Road bikes get 25c or 28c for city riding. I've used all the sizes up to 37c. My feeling is that they are great compromise tires. Decent rolling, OK in the wet, don't pick up much glass, Sidewalls are subject to damage but the tread comes around far enough that the damage is rarely from road debris. (Don't scrape curbs, fenders, brakes, etc.) $35 typically in a bike shop. Never looked online.

I much prefer wired beads for my city tires. Easier to deal with after flatting, especially when the conditions are challenging. (Rain, cold, dark, tired, inebriated. etc.) Doesn't hurt that they save me money.

Ben
Old 04-07-19, 01:00 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I don't like Gatorskins as their puncture resistance is quite poor.

I find the inexpensive Schwalbe Marathons originals at €16/tyre, an excellent value. Although the tread life is somewhat shorter than I expected.

https://www.bike24.de/p11037.html?q=schwalbe+marathons
Old 04-07-19, 07:25 AM
SylvainG

GP4000 is not a good commuting tire, it's too fragile for that purpose in my opinion, it's a fast training tire, that's what it was designed for. The sidewalls are paper thin and are indeed subject to damage, and even the tread isn't all that great, not all that bad either, but not up to commuting standards and to get to work reliably.
Beside that one week two years ago, they served me right for the last two years and yes, they are fast. Mind you, I do swap them for Marathon Plus in late Fall and early Spring. More aggressive thread pattern and yes, less prone to puncture. Although it's not fun to fix a flat in Summer, it's very not fun when it's cold.
Old 04-07-19, 09:13 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Originally Posted by SylvainG
Beside that one week two years ago, they served me right for the last two years and yes, they are fast. Mind you, I do swap them for Marathon Plus in late Fall and early Spring. More aggressive thread pattern and yes, less prone to puncture. Although it's not fun to fix a flat in Summer, it's very not fun when it's cold.
I use Marathon Green guard on my touring bike and those are a pain to put on, but they never need to come off till they're worn out which isn't for a very long time. And what's weird is, as heavy as those Marathons are they have the best rolling resistance of any touring tire by a large margin.
Old 04-08-19, 07:14 PM
SylvainG

I use Marathon Green guard on my touring bike and those are a pain to put on, but they never need to come off till they're worn out which isn't for a very long time. And what's weird is, as heavy as those Marathons are they have the best rolling resistance of any touring tire by a large margin.
Give this a try (sorry for the large size)

Old 04-08-19, 08:48 PM
greatscott

Originally Posted by SylvainG
Give this a try (sorry for the large size)

Actually I didn't need that big thing, but I do have a tool that looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/VAR-Nylon-Tir...ustomerReviews I bought my many years ago, can't even recall when I bought it, but it still works great, but I only use it for tough tires so it stays with my touring tools I take, my regular bike I just use regular levers
Old 04-10-19, 06:42 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I recently (last week) put some Continental Contact Plus tyres on my Commuter, which is an e-bike that I recently built up for commuting. I also used the Continental Revo sealant in the hope that the manufacturer of the tyres has at least tested a sealant sold under the same brand.

These tyres are replacing the knobbies that the Bikes Direct bike, that I used for a doner, came with. Of course, they are an improvement; but time will tell how well they wear.
Old 04-10-19, 01:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Re Schwalbes:

I bought some Marathon Plus with the reflective strip for my kid's commute bike. They're heavy but bombproof and I have been really impressed with the reflective strip. Here's a shot from my Fly12 from yesterday evening as we rode back from his soccer practice:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.