Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Solar battery charger?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Solar battery charger?

Old 06-24-19, 05:13 AM
GreatShake868

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure about that. You did remind me of the solar panels I own however. Before I went ahead and started to pick which solar to install for my roof I was pretty lost. Thankfully this and many other forums helped me decide on which one. Many of my friends and family members help choose also. You can't just stick any solar panel up there obviously, Thanks to all the help at SolarHub I was able to install some solar panels. Gotta say this was one of the best decisions I've had in my life. I just wish that I would have found these kinds of forums sooner, people really did have an effect on me and inspired me. Although I did have a few bad experiences with some rubbish solar panels, but most of which was just my bad choosing, I didn't know back then the things I know now. In the end, I was happy to share with you what I know.

Last edited by GreatShake868; 06-24-19 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-26-19, 05:47 AM
Timjohn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very interesting discussion...well I just charged my 36V 14 Ah battery in 4 hours with my solar panel setup. I converted my tern Si8 with a front HUB Bafang motor and after installing a system last year that includes 200 Watt solar panels (2 x 100 watt panels) with an MMPT controller 20 amp and 2 x 6 volt Costco deep cell batteries I was really keen to try charging my bicycle battery.

Initially, I installed this system with the intention of using it as a power backup for lights, TV, internet etc in case of a power failure and ending up using it to charge all my devices such as iPads, iPhones etc. It worked out even with the bicycle battery and draws down about 8 amps (100 watts) and I did this on a cloudy day.

All the hardware I purchased from Amazon for around $900 so this power source doesn't come cheap. It was more of a curiosity when I started building it and with the intention of having it as a backup. Can you imagine not having power to charge your phone?? We can live with out these things these days. Anyway, sarcasm aside, the installation wasn't easy and getting up on my roof with 4' x 2.5' panels took some effort. If you do it, buy the safety hardness and all the associated equipment to do the job.

I did not install the solar system with the intention of solely using it for EV bike so when I did find out it works out...real bonus!! I have some real nice monitoring attachments that give me lots of information as to the status of the charging as is occurs (amps, watts, total watts and incoming amps and voltages from the panels). Good luck with it and I can attached some pictures of my setup if you like. Let me know. Timothy
Old 06-26-19, 08:01 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Look at Robert C's pictures. I knew about his ride, but Marrissa's page were were easier to find. Although she had a sponsoring solar panel outfit build the electronics for her, you can buy a lot of similar electrical gizmo's today,

You are right, I found that my thread, where I Identified the parts used, was a bit hard to find. As I understand, Marrissa's build had her plugging in from time to time. Mine was also built around the reality that I was carrying a lot more than the minimum for cycle touting. As I mentioned, I was carrying stuff for the summer once I got to Utah.

Unfortunately, the trike in those pictures was stolen and wrecked. The good news, if there is any to that, is that It was recovered about a year later and I still have the batteries, motor, panels, and charge controller.

The current project is to build a CNC machine and use it to cut coroplast in order to make a velomobile body for the next trike. I have a TerraTrike Rover, and am considering a KMX, for the next project. The reason for one of those two is that those trikes start with square tubing. The round tubing of the first trike made it hard to mount some things to it.

For V.2 I also plan to put the panels on a trailer. While the panels on the trike itself had some advantages (shade), it wasn't holding up well to the hard use of touring.
Old 06-26-19, 08:04 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Timjohn
Good luck with it and I can attached some pictures of my setup if you like. Let me know. Timothy
Pictures and the component names would be great!

More information is always good, and I see that was your first post, Welcome to Bike Forums!
Old 06-26-19, 01:15 PM
Timjohn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello All,

I just tried posting a bunch of pictures and can't. I need to have had at least 10 postings before I am allowed.

Timothy
Old 06-26-19, 02:08 PM
Timjohn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK Guys

For those who are thinking about building a solar charging station for their EV bikes. Here are the parts that I have used to accomplish this task. First off, I am not endorsing any particular manufacturer or brand but just listing what I use. All these items I purchased from Amazon and did all the installation by following the wiring diagrams that were supplied by the solar panel supplier.

My EV battery 36 V 14 Ah was fully charged within 4 hours and the draw on the system was 7 to 8 amps with 100 Watts real time data as indicated by the electricity usage monitor that was installed as well (optional item).

Items:

1) 2 x Renoy 100 Watt polycrystalline solar panels - $149 each

2) Epever 20A or 30A MPPT (max point power tracking) solar power controller

3) 2 x 12 V Go Card Deep Cell batteries (best to get these types because they are built to take charging and discharging – beefer cells!)

4) 12 Volt 1000 watt power inverter (Aukey brand and you can get a USB charging port as well)

5) Panel mounting hardware for roof top installations – 2 sets of brackets for 2 panels (4 brackets/set):

6) 4 in 1 Electricity usage monitor DC 6.5 – 100A:

7) Auto circuit Breaker Reset fuse:

OK that’s all the basic parts not included are the items such as the inside plug, 20 ft of copper wiring and a second trip fuse on the battery side of the setup.

Sorry I could load pictures or the URL's because I haven’t posted more than 10 times. You can PM me if you like and I can forward pictures and URL's to your email address.

Timothy