Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My odd Colnago

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My odd Colnago

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 04:01 PM
XTR

Bikes: Cannondale Delta V 2000, C-dale SuperV Active, Bridgestone RB-1, Colnago Master, Izalco Pro 4.0, Carbon Superfly 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My odd Colnago

At least it seems to be odd to me.

Back story is that I bought this frame off of Ebay about 13 or 14 yrs ago. I built it up and it's been in my riding rotation ever since. At the time I had it and an old RB-1. Still have that one but I've also added a Focus Izalco Pro in the last few yrs.

Anyway, back to the Colnago. This week I finally broke down and paid the going rate and got an aluminum Record seat post. I've been riding it with a carbon post for the last decade + and now I think it's as finished as far as I'm concerned.

When I got this one I knew I wanted it to wear a shiney Record groupo, but even back then they'd gone all tactical black and CF for all of the parts. Since I ride it regularly I decided to build it with the most modern group I could get that still had the right look (at least to my eye) so what you see it what I did.

Now for the odd parts. One thing that I've never seen on another 'Nago is the cable guides on the head tube. More on that.

Another that I may be wrong about but I've never seen another Master with internal routing and "Colnago" pantographed on the seat stays. That seems to correspond to external routing. All the pictures I've seen in the mid 80s when they have internal routing they have club on the seat stay.

Lastly, the Colnago decal on the left side of the top tube is different to all of the others, it isn't outlined.

I have a suspicion that someone may have added the internal routing and brazed on the guides and repainted and re-decaled the left side.

I'm definitely no expert, but here she is.

Old 07-05-19, 04:05 PM
XTR

Bikes: Cannondale Delta V 2000, C-dale SuperV Active, Bridgestone RB-1, Colnago Master, Izalco Pro 4.0, Carbon Superfly 100

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Likes For XTR:
Old 07-05-19, 04:23 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by XTR
I have a suspicion that someone may have added the internal routing and brazed on the guides and repainted and re-decaled the left side.
I'd say you're probably right about all those things. Doesn't make it any less of a beauty, the lugwork is lovely.

But *if it were mine*, I'd make a few changes - but these are things totally to my taste.

I'd do:
* chrome bottle cages
* different saddle, something more modern
* seatpost with a slight setback
* rotate bars slightly downward (so the drops are closer to horizontal)
* put ergos slightly higher on the bars (because the tops of the bars would now be slightly sloped downward to them)

The brown-wall tyres don't do it for me either, not with the lovely red frame. I'd consider tanwalls, I'm big on Vittoria Corsas at the moment, but even black might be better to show off the frame.

Is that Record 8 or 9 speed?
Old 07-05-19, 04:37 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Here's my '97 Colnago, I just put Zonda wheels on it, with black Michelin Pro 3 Race tyres. But that might give you an idea of how chrome bottle cages, a modern saddle, and black tyres look on a colorful frame.

I'm not sold on the silver bar tape, I'll go probably back to white next time.

1997 Colnago
Old 07-05-19, 04:55 PM
XTR

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The groupo is a Carbon 10 speed. It originally had a CF front derailleur that I changed out at some point for a shiny one. The only carbon fiber you see is the little part of the rear mech and the brake levers.

I need to redo the bars. I replaced the quill stem earlier this yr and I'm not happy with the setup. The bars are Control Tech. One day I may find a set of Cinelli's.

I really like that Brooks, I've been riding it for a decade + now.

I agree on the bottle brackets. I do need to change those.
Likes For XTR:
Old 07-06-19, 01:12 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 141 Posts
Internal routing with pantographed seat stay caps isn't uncommon during the period when the Master transitioned to the Master Piu.
My Piu looks exactly like your Master, except mine has the Saronni livery.
The cable guides are definitely aftermarket mods.
I'd replace that seat post with the proper Record titanium post t.b.h. and those hoods have got to go too.
Old 07-06-19, 07:04 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I tried hard and failed to dial in the fit on a too large '89 Master Piu several years back. As Mackers says it had a pantographed seat stay and did have internal routing but not the HT guides. I suspect this a very nicely done respray after the modification.
Old 07-06-19, 07:13 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Love the bike, but (we're been down this road before) hate internal cable routing, but that's just me.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-07-19, 12:32 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 141 Posts
Just noticed it already has the shorter rear dropouts.

I'd say this is actually a Master Piu.