Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Oh no...Another Peugeot...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 05:32 PM
Kentonk

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh no...Another Peugeot...

There is a special place for Peugeots in my heart, despite all the grief their non standard parts and endless models and variations. One of my best riding junkers is a '74 UO8.

My friend is moving and offered me his bike. Seems to be a mid level Peugeot? I only have his photos, but I should have the bike on hand in a few days. Can I get help on the year and/or what level bike this is? Hard to make out the tubing decal, I think it's Reynolds.

Old 08-01-19, 05:59 PM
Kentonk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Based on:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-timeline.html
Looks like a 1977
Old 08-01-19, 06:24 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Seems to be a mid level Peugeot?
Looks like top of the line, to me. PX 10 something or other, would be my guess.
Old 08-01-19, 08:18 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Looks like top of the line, to me. PX 10 something or other, would be my guess.
Yeah quite likely a PX 10 given the chrome on the rear triangle and fork. Plus what's left of the 531 sticker looks like the full Reynolds 531 sticker.

There have been some sensible mods made to the bike. (1) The wheels are clinchers, not tubulars. (2) The crank looks to be a stronglight 99 not a 93. That will be helpful as chainrings are more readily available and you can get smaller chainrings with a 99. (3) The rear drop out has been modded which is why there is a cyclone rear derailleur. That was about as good a rear derailleur as you could get at that time. Hey you're not stuck looking for a simplex rear derailleur. They're good but the stock of them is disappearing over time.

Two problems you want to think about. First, that kickstand and rack need to be taken off the bike. The rack is kind of OK but the kickstand is a bad idea. Hopefully the chain stays aren't damaged. (2) The bike has an atax stem (which is a later French stem) and a Japanese handlebar. Hopefully that Japanese handlebar measures 25.0 and not 25.4. If the latter, that's a bad combination since that French stem is designed for a 25.0 handlebar.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-01-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 09:41 PM
Kentonk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Yeah quite likely a PX 10 given the chrome on the rear triangle and fork. Plus what's left of the 531 sticker looks like the full Reynolds 531 sticker.

There have been some sensible mods made to the bike. (1) The wheels are clinchers, not tubulars. (2) The crank looks to be a stronglight 99 not a 93. That will be helpful as chainrings are more readily available and you can get smaller chainrings with a 99. (3) The rear drop out has been modded which is why there is a cyclone rear derailleur. That was about as good a rear derailleur as you could get at that time. Hey you're not stuck looking for a simplex rear derailleur. They're good but the stock of them is disappearing over time.

Two problems you want to think about. First, that kickstand and rack need to be taken off the bike. The rack is kind of OK but the kickstand is a bad idea. Hopefully the chain stays aren't damaged. (2) The bike has an atax stem (which is a later French stem) and a Japanese handlebar. Hopefully that Japanese handlebar measures 25.0 and not 25.4. If the latter, that's a bad combination since that French stem is designed for a 25.0 handlebar.
Thanks for the very good info. I cringed a bit when I saw the kickstand. Alas, college commuter bikes. The original front derailleur looks busted too. Maybe I'll make the nicest single speed, or one-by. haha It's a gift, so I'm not complaining.

KK

I always
Old 08-01-19, 09:52 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...what @bikemig said. That's a pretty solid score. Looks like the large chainwheel might be history, which suggests the chain might also be history. Which in turn suggest that the cogs on the rear might be problematic in a couple of places. The easiest front derailleur substitute is one of those banded ones from Suntour. But there are other things that will work.

From the angle that Cyclone is sitting on the rear, I can't tell if the rear drop has been modified with regard to the stop or not. If it hasn't, that derailleur will work a lot better with the stop in the appropriate position.

But all in all, well worth what you paid for it. Note that the fork crown is a solid piece, not a folded one like on the lesser Peugeot bikes.
Old 08-02-19, 07:04 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That crank may well be original. Late 70s Peugeot PX 10s came with stronglight 99 cranks.
Old 08-02-19, 04:42 PM
Kentonk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bad news: got the bike in hand, and found tall tell frame damage. Classic front impact. Also, I noticed a generator tab, which means its a PX60 I believe. Alas, with the frame damage, I don't think it's worth much, certainly not for a full restoration. I test rode it and it actually seems to ride fine. I think I may turn this into a kick-ass commuter. Alas, sad to see a damaged frame, but at least it was free.
Old 08-06-19, 11:20 AM
pspin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Almost bought my first one the other day but was in far to rough of shape. Sorry trying to get to ten posts so I can use attachments and hyperlinks. Thanks