Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Not Often That I Get Angry - However...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Not Often That I Get Angry - However...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 05:05 PM
Robr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is a Cyclops. Shop might have insurance.
Old 08-01-19, 06:45 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
What is a Cyclops.
Old 08-01-19, 08:55 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
This might or might not actually be practical with the parties involved, but what I see as an ideal possibility would be for the shop that goofed to get in touch with the shop that got the Cyclops and explain the situation as it might affect them and you.

Some shop-to-shop sympathy in other words.
Old 08-02-19, 07:07 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Another factor that seems to be overlooked. The bike shop displayed the bikes ..... aka free storage. That is worth something. Depending on how many bikes and for how long, that something could be valued at hundreds of dollars, even thousands. I'm not taking the bike shop's side, just need to make sure you look at things from all angles.
Old 08-02-19, 05:18 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
Another factor that seems to be overlooked. The bike shop displayed the bikes ..... aka free storage. That is worth something. Depending on how many bikes and for how long, that something could be valued at hundreds of dollars, even thousands. I'm not taking the bike shop's side, just need to make sure you look at things from all angles.
I really can't tell from this story whether it was on display or just sitting in the repair racks waiting to be picked up.

Putting Randy's predicament to the side for a moment here: A display bike could go either way. Sometimes a shop may be the one begging to have an individual's bike on display (as a matter of fact, one LBS did reach out to me when they opened their new Specialized store for the loan of an older RockHopper as a display piece). In these cases, it's not free storage, it's N-1. Not to mention the owner risking that the bike will remain cared for and not get burgled from the building.

-Kurt

Old 08-03-19, 12:09 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
If it were me, I'd certainly make a call to the buyer just to honestly explain the situation and your attachment to the Cyclops. Not to pressure, but just to explain and offer to trade for the originally promised (and value / payment based on) bike. Totally at the buyer's option, but just ask if they'd be willing to make the exchange if all shipping costs were covered. Maybe even offer some sort of sweetener - a part or a little cash - as well as the shipping.

If I were the buyer, I'd most likely readily agree to this unless I'd sold or totally fallen in love with the Cyclops.

I'd ask Shop #1 to cover these costs. Heck, shipping two bikes is not a huge cost for anyone, especially a shop that has made a mistake, honest though it may be.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-03-19, 01:26 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
I really can't tell from this story whether it was on display or just sitting in the repair racks waiting to be picked up.
Several years ago, shop one asked if they could use some of my bikes for display purposes. I said sure and that is how my bikes got on display at shop 1. But, as time passed, customers to shop one became aware of the owner's interest in vintage bikes and the customers either gave or sold shop one vintage steeds.

The shop no longer needs my bikes to bolster their display needs or wishes. So, my bikes were on loan to shop one for display purposes. There was three other bikes on display there that belonged to me. All needed to be picked up and shipped with-in the next couple of hours. The transport truck was already on its way to the loading area. and over one hundred vintage bikes (seven of them and several boxes of vintage components were mine) were waiting to be loaded into the trailer...

I did get an email for one of the owners of shop one, expressing concern over their mistake. Hopefully, I will talk with him today, when I go to the city for yard sailing. I am not expecting much change.