Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scott CR1 Pro

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Scott CR1 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 07:16 PM
drdhsimon
just tryin' to keep up

Bikes: Marin Portofino - Foco Steel built by Billato

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scott CR1 Pro

Does anyone have experience with the CR1 Pro (with Ultegra). My LBS has one in my price range, but the wrong size. I'll try it when my size comes in, but thought I'd get feedback from folks who have ridden one. Thanks!!!
Old 08-28-06, 07:23 PM
velocipedio
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tried a CR1 Team this week. Admittedly only for about 45 minutes. Very, very stiff bike. If anything, it rides like a 1999-2000 vintage aluminum bike, but it's a lot lighter.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 08-28-06, 07:31 PM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is my weapon of choice. I have had mine since June 2005 and have loved every minute on it. When I was shopping for a new bike, my shopping ended after riding the CR1 Pro, Ultegra. I am 6'1" and weigh 195 pounds (weighed 230 when I bought the bike) and have not had any issues with the frame or flex. Best thing to do is ride one. Most people love it but there are others who absolutely hate it...it's a personal thing.
Old 08-28-06, 07:34 PM
drdhsimon
just tryin' to keep up

Bikes: Marin Portofino - Foco Steel built by Billato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinmcdade
It is my weapon of choice. I have had mine since June 2005 and have loved every minute on it. When I was shopping for a new bike, my shopping ended after riding the CR1 Pro, Ultegra. I am 6'1" and weigh 195 pounds (weighed 230 when I bought the bike) and have not had any issues with the frame or flex. Best thing to do is ride one. Most people love it but there are others who absolutely hate it...it's a personal thing.

I'm 6'2" 210 and need a stiff bike....i can't wait to ride it. How's the comfort on a longer ride? Does the stiffness beat you up?
Old 08-28-06, 07:39 PM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drdhsimon
I'm 6'2" 210 and need a stiff bike....i can't wait to ride it. How's the comfort on a longer ride? Does the stiffness beat you up?
The CR1 is stiff where it needs to be in order to transfer power efficiently but it will not beat you up. I have done lots of rides from 50-70 miles on this bike with no issues. It also depends on your wheelset. I have a custom wheelset on mine that makes it float.
Old 08-28-06, 07:49 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tested the Cervelo R3 and the CR1 Team a month ago on the same wheelset. Both are very nice bikes. But the R3 was much more comfortable to me when going over rough pavement. So I got the R3. If it weren't for the difference in comfort, I would have ever so slightly preferred the CR1 Team (though the bars with the aero profile would have to go; I couldn't stand how they felt with my hands on the tops on a climb). The guy selling me the bike tells me (after I tell him my ride impressions) that the CR1 Team is his race bike, but he only rides it with carbon tubulars because it's so unforgiving in the comfort department. The R3, on the other hand, is so comfortable that I'm getting rid of my Specialized Roubaix.

That said, he and I are both about 5'8", 135 pounds. Riders very different from that may feel differently about things. Also, the CR1 Pro is supposed to be a bit more compliant, at the expense of a bit of stiffness.
Old 08-28-06, 09:32 PM
kster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jschen, at 5'8", what size R3 do you ride? A 51?
Old 08-28-06, 09:42 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 54 cm. I have relatively short limbs. 78 cm inseam, comparably short arms. With the saddle properly adjusted, this yields a saddle to bar drop of a bit under three inches with the stock 11 cm stem flipped down and no spacers under the stem. Which is just right for me to have an essentially flat back with my forearms on the bars. I probably could force a fit on a 51 cm bike and shave off a few grams, but the 54 cm is the best fit.
Old 08-28-06, 09:48 PM
kster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drdhsimon, sorry for stealing the thread.

jschen, I'm a hair under 5'7" with a 29" inseam so I seem to fall between a 51 & 54 (probably closer to a 51). If I ever get serious about looking at this bike, I hope the bike shop allows test rides. I love the bike though!
Old 08-28-06, 10:24 PM
jschen
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suspect you would be looking at a 51. You might not have room to lower the bars to where you want them on a 54 without resorting to crazy angled stems, and to get the reach right, you might need a really short stem.