Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Santa Cruz Bikes

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Santa Cruz Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 09:44 PM
ghettocruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
NEWSFLASH: SC has always been a design/marketing company that outsources their builds overseas.
They do indeed outsource builds, and most models are now made in asia. But as of 2006 the V10, VPfree, and Nomad were made (somewhere) in the United states. I haven't been keeping track since then.
Old 07-17-07, 09:47 PM
evanatorx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was just discussing them on todays ride.......FUGLY!
Old 07-17-07, 11:52 PM
MattP.
Obeying Gravity

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
They do indeed outsource builds, and most models are now made in asia. But as of 2006 the V10, VPfree, and Nomad were made (somewhere) in the United states. I haven't been keeping track since then.
Pre 2007, all VPP bikes (Blur, Nomad, VPF, V10) were made in Portland by SAPA. Their hardtails and single pivots were made overseas.

From what I have gathered, for 07, some VPP bikes will still be made in the states, but some will be made overseas just to keep up with demand.

If you want an American Made bike, steer away from SC for 07.
Old 07-18-07, 08:06 AM
gwhunt23

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NEWSFLASH: SC has always been a design/marketing company that outsources their builds overseas.
Not always. Santa Cruz used to (not currently) make all of their bikes in the USA. I'll post a photo later of the etched "Made in USA" logo on my '02 Superlight.

What about the single pivot bikes out there that don't suffer from brake jack, like your Superlight does?
I've always thought that single pivot bikes with a floating brake weren't meant for XC. What models did you have in mind? I could have missed something.
Old 07-18-07, 08:52 AM
jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife's 2004 Blur is U.S. built...same factory that did Ellsworth until they moved to Washington
Old 07-18-07, 02:37 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evanatorx
was just discussing them on todays ride.......FUGLY!
Random....... great input.
Old 07-19-07, 07:55 AM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NEWSFLASH: .

What about the single pivot bikes out there that don't suffer from brake jack, like your Superlight does?

I've received incredible customer service from Specialized.
These 72 reviewers, https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_...t_123150.shtml , don't seem to have much of a problem with brake jack. The effect is determined by the pivot point height and the Superlight seems to have very good design.

Single pivots which effectively includes some that don't appear to be single pivots like Kona, are sure popular. The Canondales are popular in my area.

You are fortunate with your Specialized service.

Al
Old 07-19-07, 12:13 PM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cah I get an explanation on what "brake jack" is?
Old 07-19-07, 12:19 PM
jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by junkyard
https://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=35572

or

brake jack (that's the tendency for the rear suspension to compress when you brake hard)
Old 07-19-07, 12:20 PM
mcoine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake jack is when the suspension gets compressed due to the torque on the wheel and suspension, while applying the brakes.

Can we just summarize this thread by saying Santa Cruz sucks?
Old 07-19-07, 12:41 PM
Quick_Torch C5
Mad Furyan

Bikes: 02 Cannondale Jekyll,06 Santa Cruz Heckler, 06 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 09 Santa Cruz Blur LT2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoine
Brake jack is when the suspension gets compressed due to the torque on the wheel and suspension, while applying the brakes.

Thirsty?
Old 07-19-07, 12:48 PM
santiago

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by junkyard
That's when the bike causes you to spill your latte and to get powdered sugar from your doughnuts all over your jersey.

(junkyard and I share the same type of mountain biking so I know how to explain it in terms he understands)
Old 07-19-07, 02:49 PM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by santiago
That's when the bike causes you to spill your latte and to get powdered sugar from your doughnuts all over your jersey.

(junkyard and I share the same type of mountain biking so I know how to explain it in terms he understands)
Ahh. santiago always helps me understand the complexities of mountain biking.
Old 07-19-07, 02:56 PM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the basis of your opinion regarding Superlights and brake jack are glowing reviews from folks with a vested interest in their bike, then you need to reconsider the source.

Better yet, ride a Superlight in choppy, technical terrain and experience the brake jack for yourself. That's what I've done.
So, 72 happy owners are out to cover their mistaken purchase, some who've stuck with their mistake for 7 years. I get it now.

And, all those other single pivot owners like my son and my friends with Canondales, some on their second, they I guess are just plain stupid. Or, are Superlights just a bad single pivot design?

Hard to find opinions from totally non-vested interests. They sure do sell a lot of them.

Al
Old 07-19-07, 02:59 PM
Quick_Torch C5
Mad Furyan

Bikes: 02 Cannondale Jekyll,06 Santa Cruz Heckler, 06 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 09 Santa Cruz Blur LT2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice comeback...did your mom teach you that one?

BTW, i was referring to this (in jest)
Originally Posted by mcoine

Last edited by Quick_Torch C5; 07-19-07 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 03:34 PM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, when people drop a chunk of change they are more apt to write glowing reviews rather than pick apart their purchases.

Your son and friends might indeed be stupid, there's no way for me to know. Or, they might not ride terrain where they would notice brake jack. Or they simple don't know any better because they haven't ridden a bike without brake jack so they don't know what they're missing.

Like I wrote previously, ride the Superlight in choppy technical terrain and see for yourself. Then you wouldn't have to rely on other's opinions.

p.s. the fact that they sell alot of them isn't germane to the discussion of whether they brake jack.

"

Possibly it's a skill issue. Brake jack might disorient some and not others.

I rode a hardtail for years. Is brake jack more of a liabilty than no suspension? How do those dirt motorcycle racers do it with a single pivot? Or is it just a bicycle "problem"?

The fact that they sell a lot of them means the word hasn't gotten out in the 10 years of production how dissatisfied these lying owners really are. Of course, that'll be a first with all these forums, web postings and just the word of mouth.

Bu the way, I believe it was among those "72" that one or two went from FSR to single pivot. They liked the climbing and the maintenace better. I guess they probably ride paved trails.

Al

Last edited by Al.canoe; 07-19-07 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 03:39 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Al.canoe
How do those dirt motorcycle racers do it with a single pivot? Or is it just a bicycle "problem"?

Al
Full-floaters on dirt M/Cs have been standard for a couple decades. I remember when the concept was "discovered" and the flurry of retrofit kits that came out because of it.
Old 07-19-07, 04:26 PM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Originally Posted by Al.canoe Possibly it's a skill issue. Brake jack might disorient some and not others."

I don't know anyone who finds brake jack to be disorienting. Nice hyperbole.

---

Then if you don't know them, they don't exist? Hyperbole? I'm not exaggerating a thing. You my friend are relying on evasion by accusing me of exaggeration.
--

"Originally Posted by Al.canoe I rode a hardtail for years."

Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment. So did I! I still do sometimes!

---

Hey, are you using hyperbole**********

---

"Originally Posted by Al.canoe Is brake jack more of a liability than no suspension?

The simple fact is that there are suspension systems that don't mimic a hardtail (brake jack) while braking in choppy conditions."

--

Yes there are and I'm riding one. It's likely the only one (FSR) since the other designs are single pivot with levers to change the shock action as the wheel moves in an arc. But I would be perfectly happy with the braking of my old hardtail with the "other" benefits of a full suspension. That is another "simple fact". Many appear to share that view.

---
"Originally Posted by Al.canoe The fact that they sell a lot of them means the word hasn't gotten out in the 10 years of production how dissatisfied these lying owners really are.

More sweet hyperbole!"

---

Evasive aren't you when you can't counter a valid point. In 10-years of production, the bad news would be well known. Therefore since they appear to be still selling very well (Colorado Cyclist is back-ordered for all sizes but small), then for most folks, the evil brake jack is not a big deal. Some of the "72 posters" come directly from hardtails and really like the climbing.

I liked my hardtail braking. Never did see a big advantage of my FSR in the braking department. Of course, I must not ride those really tough trails that you do. Hah!

You never dealt with the dirt motorcycle racers, or was that just more hyperbole?

Al
Old 07-19-07, 05:08 PM
iwantakona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you missed the point pete. If the brake jack you speak of was a huge glaring issue then they would not sell as good as they do period. Simple math really, if your product sucks you sell few, you make zero dollars, you go out of bussiness in a few years. If it is only one model that sucks usually it gets dropped or redesigned. It may be that the bikes good qualities outweigh the bad one you described. No bike made is perfect and if it is perfect I'm sure it has a perfect price tag which in itself makes it less then perfect. The trick is to find the one that works for your needs and has shortcomings you can live with. If santa cruz is what he feels meets his needs let him make his own mistakes instead of argueing over why you are right.
Old 07-19-07, 05:23 PM
iwantakona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again pete you missed the point. The thread is asking about the quality of santa cruz bikes not input on suspension design. I think everything useful has been said and now it has turned into another pete can piss farther then you contests.
Old 07-19-07, 05:25 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iwantakona
...now it has turned into another pete can piss farther then you...
...can piss farther than you...
Old 07-19-07, 05:26 PM
iwantakona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
...can piss farther than you...
Yes I'll admit I'm a bad speller.
Old 07-19-07, 05:30 PM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only ridden a motorcycle off-road a handful of times so I'm not going to speculate about different motorcycle suspension designs.
They are single pivot. It appears that the brake jack issue is much to do about nothing. I did not know what brake jack meant, but after your relatively non-informative and haughty posts, I understand why so many just don't care about brake jack. It's in the noise if it's like a hardtail.

I'll side with those who own the bikes. A big reason is that my experience with folks, many folks, is that the majority of owners will be honest and that includes assessing their own bikes. I'm a skeptic, but not a cynic.

Nor do I believe that people who don't agree with you are just ignorant, don't ride rough trails or just don't know any better, or even just have never ridden a single pivot. Riding a hardtail seems to be good enough on that last point. At least that's the best I can make out from your curt responses. If that's the best you can rationalize, then brake jack is definitely not an issue for the majority of reasonably skilled riders.

Al
Old 07-19-07, 05:39 PM
iwantakona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds to me like you've stated what you have to say and should just grow up and stop argueing over it. You could've discussed this all it needed to be discussed by saying "I do not care for that make and model of bike because it has a tendency to brake jack in rough terrain and that is why I prefer this bike." Your not discussing your looking for an arguement. Grow up.

As far as being dense I question anyone who sits for hours on end at a computer and argues about something ninety-nine percent of the population don't give a ***** about and really doesn't even matter. You answered the OP's question a long time ago. Anyone with half a brain knows in order to get good advice you have to look who it comes from. If johny n00b says one thing and three old timers say diffrent let the n00b say what he wants anyone with a brain knows the old timer is the one to listen to.
Old 07-19-07, 05:40 PM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you truly that dense, or is this just an act that you do on the internet?

-The original post asked about a single pivot suspension design
-Someone then claimed that the bike in question was arguably the best single pivot design out there
-From there the discussion became a comparison of single pivot designs, brake jack, etc.

Which part of "discussion forum" are you struggling with?

If my posts cause you such consternation and are going to prompt you to continue to make such goofy replies, you should stop reading my posts. For your sake.

p.s. The quality of the suspension design directly relates to the quality of the ride, which relates to the quality of the bike.

You are arrogant. AND, the master of hyperbole. No credibility left as far as I'm concered.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.